PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chad Morris: How long do you think he will be Here?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Chad Morris: How long do you think he will be Here?

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:14 am

Last I heard Chad isnt considering Baylor. However, if you were in his shoes wouldnt you leverage fake interest to get what you want aka IPC? The type of job that interests him is A&M or an Auburn type (was kind of surprised they were specifically mentioned, first I had heard that school).
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:56 am

mustangxc wrote:Hence why I said that getting in and staying eligible are two different things.

Like I said that Boise and Houston can get kids in and keep them in that SMU can't. We need the facility upgrades to help attract better athletes that can stay in school. Once we get better players then more higher level winning comes over a sustained time period and then more crowds come. At any rates we need facility upgrades as soon as possible.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:30 am

why don't we live in the now. the future has a way of taking care of itself in unforeseen ways.
boise is a joke academically. glorified jc.
uofh is well uofh.
Nacho

Postby PonyKai » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:46 am

Put more effort into that bullsh*t "anonymous walk on letter" than he did at his actual job for the last 2 1/2 years.
PonyKai

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Hence why I said that getting in and staying eligible are two different things.

Like I said that Boise and Houston can get kids in and keep them in that SMU can't. We need the facility upgrades to help attract better athletes that can stay in school. Once we get better players then more higher level winning comes over a sustained time period and then more crowds come. At any rates we need facility upgrades as soon as possible.

and we sign some players that want to get a better education

They get some guys that want to play for the home-town public school with name on uniform.

We get some guys that want to play at the most beautiful campus in Division 1A.

Not worth even discussing this alleged academic handicap anymore. SMU is not under a substantial academic handicap any more and SMU Model changes and NCAA rule changers have made the old arguments essentially obsolete

In fact Chad Morris like Ron Meyer recognizes that he can successfully recruit by selling SMU's advantages. Once he gets a few more Ws his message will become much stronger and more successful
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby skurtn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:22 pm

mr. pony wrote:Speaking of JJ, wonder how Chad will react if Memphis attendance is poor after the big Cougar High win?
Recall, JJ basically quit after beating TCU in 2011 then not getting a big crowd for UCF.

Beyond coach poaching, I hope that Coach Morris, staff, and players can get beyond attendance when the product on the field needs lasting improvements; as opposed to occasional blips.
skurtn
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:27 pm

If Coach Morris is able to make winning on the Hilltop a consistent reality, why would we even think about risking the slippery slide back into mediocrity (or worse)? We've hired a Hall of Famer, hotshot assistants, and even the greatest (arguably from our perspective certainly) turnaround architect in NCAA history all for naught.

At the end of the day, what's an extra million or two per year among friends? Seems like if Coach Morris is happy, we should do our part (basically do what TCU does for Patterson) and make it a situation that would be silly for him to leave. I would bump my annual MC contribution for that.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyCav » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:43 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:If Coach Morris is able to make winning on the Hilltop a consistent reality, why would we even think about risking the slippery slide back into mediocrity (or worse)? We've hired a Hall of Famer, hotshot assistants, and even the greatest (arguably from our perspective certainly) turnaround architect in NCAA history all for naught.

At the end of the day, what's an extra million or two per year among friends? Seems like if Coach Morris is happy, we should do our part (basically do what TCU does for Patterson) and make it a situation that would be silly for him to leave. I would bump my annual MC contribution for that.

Boom! 'nuff said
PonyCav

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:18 pm

I don't think Coach Morris will be totally happy uniting SMU gets the facilities built that told him that they would build if he came here. If they don't do that then I think he leaves and rightfully so.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby leopold » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:31 pm

The bottom line is he'll stay until he's let go or a major program with its support base located in Texas hires him away, like UT, A&M, Oklahoma State, etc., and good for him. I recently became a big Kevin Sumlin fan as a result.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I don't think Coach Morris will be totally happy uniting SMU gets the facilities built that told him that they would build if he came here. If they don't do that then I think he leaves and rightfully so.

We definitely have to get around to that eventually but new facilities won't keep him here when the big programs come calling. Ultimately, they have things we just can't offer him. Optics are important though, gotta make it look like we did everything possible to keep him because candidates and recruits will be watching.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:24 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I don't think Coach Morris will be totally happy uniting SMU gets the facilities built that told him that they would build if he came here. If they don't do that then I think he leaves and rightfully so.

We definitely have to get around to that eventually but new facilities won't keep him here when the big programs come calling. Ultimately, they have things we just can't offer him. Optics are important though, gotta make it look like we did everything possible to keep him because candidates and recruits will be watching.

What things do they offer that SMU doesn't have or couldn't eventually have?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:24 pm

And who is they?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:41 pm

Not currently in a power 5 conference and attendance of over 70,000 per game. Those are limitations that will play a factor with some recruits and coaches. The attendance factor applies to SMU, TCU, Baylor, and several other power 5 programs. TCU and Miami have proven that you can win big despite not being world beaters in terms of attendance so you simply have to hope that to the coaches we have that is not a big deal and just go after players that aren't worried about that.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:02 pm

More:
Better shot at BCS Championship
Higher visibility TV Contracts
Better Bowl Contracts
C-A-S-H
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Previous

Return to Football