PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chad Morris: How long do you think he will be Here?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chad Morris: How long do you think he will be Here?

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Just want to get some other people's thoughts. I have some UT friends, but more so BU friends who are saying they would like/are looking at Chad Morris to be there coach next year. I don't think UT would come calling, but do we think BU will come offer him? and would Chad leave to go to BU?

I think he would want to stay a build a program for at least 3-4 years and if he is going to leave, leave for an A&M, Clemson, UT, etc. Just got me thinking because a UH fan was saying that to me and I really hope we can hang onto Chad for at least 4 years.

Thoughts?
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Re: Chad Morris: How long do you think he will be Here?

Postby gostangs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:37 pm

His son is a freshman QB at HP. I would feel pretty good about at least three more seasons. If we have the success we hope, some wallets will open. SMU can make it harder than most for the right guy.

That said - we are either on our way to P-5 (doubtful) or we can start thinking about coaching alternatives in about three years.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Even if we make it to P5, it doesn't make sense for a program with a small fanbase like ours to spend the amount of money it would take to keep him around if we have the kind of success we hope for. Let UT, LSU, Alabama. etc. throw away their money. As long as we stay on course with the proper model and hire the right people we should be able to be successful. We need to get to the point where it is the program and not the coach that matters. Miami had that, Houston has that, and I hope we achieve that soon.
mustangxc

Postby smupony94 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Baylor - haha. Not until all the lawsuits are settled
smupony94

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:55 pm

The coach can make or brake a program. So getting the right coach will always matter.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Rebel10 wrote:The coach can make or brake a program. So getting the right coach will always matter.

Yes, but if you look for certain qualities in the person, in many cases they are replaceable. Aside from Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, Chad Kelly, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh are there really that many coaches where you put them anywhere in the country and they really win at a high level year in and year out? I don't think we will ever be in the position of an Alabama, USC, Ohio State, etc. where we challenge for a national championship for a long stretch of years consecutively. I think we can expect to win championships and make it to major bowl games, but it will be cyclical as it is with most programs. Our fan base will ultimately hold us back from taking it to that level. However, I do agree that hiring the wrong coach can bring down your program as has been the case with Miami.
mustangxc

Postby sbsmith » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Yes, but if you look for certain qualities in the person, in many cases they are replaceable. Aside from Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, Chad Kelly, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh are there really that many coaches where you put them anywhere in the country and they really win at a high level year in and year out?

Chad Kelly is a coach now? It seems like just yesterday I was watching him play QB at Ole Miss.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mustangxc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:17 pm

sbsmith wrote:
mustangxc wrote:
Yes, but if you look for certain qualities in the person, in many cases they are replaceable. Aside from Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, Chad Kelly, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh are there really that many coaches where you put them anywhere in the country and they really win at a high level year in and year out?

Chad Kelly is a coach now? It seems like just yesterday I was watching him play QB at Ole Miss.

Sorry, Chip Kelly!
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:24 pm

In most cases a good coach is not easily replaceable but it helps when you have facilities in place to attract a good coach. That is what Coach Morris is trying to get our facilities up to par because high level families help in recruiting and attracting good coaches. Facilities are the main thing holding us back now and why we need to build them regardless of if he leaves or not.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Comet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:26 pm

When we lose Chad we just have to keep the model of going for a young, hungry coach with Texas roots but experience at a big time program (Tom Herman at OSU, Morris at Clemson, etc)
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby lollaperuna » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:22 pm

mustangxc wrote:Even if we make it to P5, it doesn't make sense for a program with a small fanbase like ours to spend the amount of money it would take to keep him around if we have the kind of success we hope for. Let UT, LSU, Alabama. etc. throw away their money. As long as we stay on course with the proper model and hire the right people we should be able to be successful. We need to get to the point where it is the program and not the coach that matters. Miami had that, Houston has that, and I hope we achieve that soon.

You make it sound really easy to replace a winning coach and history proves otherwise. We are soon going to find out if our letting LB walk gamble pays off.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby gostangs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:24 pm

no choice with LB. You can't give a 75 year old a no cut contract, even in the event of probation number 2. That is what he insisted on. We would have been beyond foolish to say yes to that.

Bu that is a different question.
gostangs

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:34 pm

lollaperuna wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Even if we make it to P5, it doesn't make sense for a program with a small fanbase like ours to spend the amount of money it would take to keep him around if we have the kind of success we hope for. Let UT, LSU, Alabama. etc. throw away their money. As long as we stay on course with the proper model and hire the right people we should be able to be successful. We need to get to the point where it is the program and not the coach that matters. Miami had that, Houston has that, and I hope we achieve that soon.

You make it sound really easy to replace a winning coach and history proves otherwise. We are soon going to find out if our letting LB walk gamble pays off.

Not really the same thing as starting from scratch hiring a coach. Jank has been with LB since he was hired and he helped recruited and coach the current team. But yes, replacing a good head coach when you don't have a coach in waiting is no easy task.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:36 pm

lollaperuna wrote:

That is not my point at all. However I do think that to a certain extent our success will be limited by the amount of fans we can attract to our stadium and based on our history our fanbase does not justify spending the amount of money it will take to keep a coach from going to the power programs. My argument is more about money than lack of appreciation for a winning coach. However, how many coaches have you seen go from a Boise State to a Power 5 program only to fail. Yet Boise State keeps winning. I think that has more to do with not using the proper model and not finding the right fit. I think we finally have the right formula and hopefully we pay a reasonable amount but in today's game once the numbers get crazy you have to be willing to let the coach walk. In basketball we had Larry Brown to get things started so it should be easier to keep it going.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:43 pm

We all know you are a JJ suck up and have been brainwashed by the JJ fan lack of fan support argument. Bottom line is the facilities are more imoportant to recruiting so stop the the JJ suck brainwash crap. Boise St is the only school you can name and they have low academic standards so they can get and keep players that SMU can't. Yes we may have to let a coach walk but we need the facilities and infrastructure to attract another good football coach.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Football