PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BU reportedly has Herman and Morris at top of their list

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BU reportedly has Herman and Morris at top of their list

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:17 pm

SMU could have had a packed stadium every game and Morris still would have left for Baylor. At Baylor he won't have to beg for an IPF and he won't have ultra old school fans that get upsnet if they wear black uniforms. Baylor is a better job regardless of the what some SMU fans think.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Prideful Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:23 pm

03Mustang wrote:
Stallion wrote:No I'm just starting to wonder if I want to continue supporting a program whose "fans" think they can wait until SMU consistently wins 10 games to bother to show up

Saturday was a DISGRACE

Storming the Field against UH in front of 4,000 was an embarrassment

SMU has the right Coach right now but despite the fact that Morris and staff have fully engaged the community and outworked its competitors, SMU alumni, students, family and friends just don't give a [deleted]

You're not going to hear any criticism from me if Chad Morris bails. SMU "fans" deserve it

This is 100% correct. Most don't give a [deleted] so why should Morris? Hurts for those of us that do but honestly, if you were in his shoes would you feel any different?

I'd like to ask a genuine question. As someone who does not really care about SMU football except to the extent that being good is a positive for the school (publicity, applications, money, etc.), why should I start? Throughout my time on campus our football team was damn near historically awful. The games I attended were initially boring then ponderous, continuing through my early days as an alumn when I went so far as to purchase season tickets. I'm too young to warmly recall the halcyon days of the SWC. Why would I (or any new student) have any particular attachment until the team gives me a reason to care?
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:27 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:This is purely anecdotal but I was finally able to convince four old classmates of mine from the Class of 2006 to go watch the Homecoming game who each haven't been inside Ford in a decade. Spent all week telling that the Houston win was the turning point and that Chad Morris clearly has this thing headed in the right direction. They all seemed to generally agree and were excited about the game. What happened? We were sitting there in the middle of the second quarter and laughing at what we were seeing. They ended up bailing at the half and swore never to be tricked by me again. Honestly, I can't blame them one bit. For every awesome Houston type moment we have produced 10 moments like Memphis. People have better things to do than watch their alma mater get annihilated by Memphis. Sorry that's just the reality of where we are. Homecoming was not an aberration by this program's metrics but entirely the norm over the past 30 years. That's how you kill a fan base.

Got two classmates to come to Memphis with me and they haven't been inside Ford since 2010. They will not be coming back any time soon.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:29 pm

This program and university has done almost nothing to justify loyal fan support. 30 years of garbage isn't erased with a 5-6 record (nice Homecoming effort too!). This university and program failed an entire generation of alumni. You are likely never going to get those people to buy in without a 10 or 11 win season. That ship has sailed.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Basketball school.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby stc9 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:33 pm

I have no idea if CM has 1 foot out of the door and is on the move to wacko. I hope he doesn't and isn't. I can't fault him either way - $1,000,000 minimum pay raise isn't something that you easily dismiss.

My major issue is more about SMU and how SMU has treated us as fans for the last 30 years. I don't trust SMU to make another good choice for the replacement. Given our history, the odds of SMU choosing a good replacement are 70/30 against. That doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:36 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Basketball school.

Honestly? Yes. We can be nationally competitive and relevant with basketball. Much easier to fill a basketball arena with 7,000 than a football stadium with 35,000. Especially in our conference.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:48 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:Basketball school.

Honestly? Yes. We can be nationally competitive and relevant with basketball. Much easier to fill a basketball arena with 7,000 than a football stadium with 35,000. Especially in our conference.

Honestly? No.

Explain how we can compete against schools earning $30M annually while we make $3M. Over an athlete's 4-yr stay on campus, that is over a $100M difference. It will be harder and harder to compete, and I believe, at some point, probably impossible.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:49 pm

stc9 wrote:I have no idea if CM has 1 foot out of the door and is on the move to wacko. I hope he doesn't and isn't. I can't fault him either way - $1,000,000 minimum pay raise isn't something that you easily dismiss.

My major issue is more about SMU and how SMU has treated us as fans for the last 30 years. I don't trust SMU to make another good choice for the replacement. Given our history, the odds of SMU choosing a good replacement are 70/30 against. That doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

This was the 1st thought that crossed my mind. If we botch this next hire, SMU FB could be in for a world of hurt.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Actually I think the Jones hire was initially a home run. He had the clout to get the last of any recruiting restrictions lifted. Problem was then he did not follow up. Morris was a home run hire. If he leaves it is just sooner than we wanted. So I think we can at least have hope the next will be good.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Mrydel, we will find out in short order.

He has to have Ron Meyer sales personality. He has to recruit. By Dec/Jan we will have a sense of that.
SoCal_Pony

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Person that told me Chad was gone said a replacement has been found. No idea who it is
smupony94

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:01 pm

smupony94 wrote:Person that told me Chad was gone said a replacement has been found. No idea who it is

Wow
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:04 pm

To be fair this person had been frequenting the bar at MSG for hours so no idea the validity
smupony94

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:06 pm

smupony94 wrote:Person that told me Chad was gone said a replacement has been found. No idea who it is

Let's hope it is announced quickly so that SMU does not lose to many good recruits that the next coach may want.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football