PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BU reportedly has Herman and Morris at top of their list

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BU reportedly has Herman and Morris at top of their list

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:18 pm

Bang for buck: Philip Montgomery at Tulsa $800,000
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponypatrick » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:15 pm

[quote="peruna81"]the OP was what BAYLOR has on its list, not what Chad has on his wish list...as one poster opined,
"Saban is on my list" or thereabouts. Doesn't mean we are on Nick's, or Baylor is on Chad's.

Baylor is a better program by comparison, and is in a better conference than SMU. It is not a better school, or in a better location. It took HCCM a good bit to get back to Texas from the desert that is South Carolina...I doubt he will choose to leave SMU for Baylor. He WILL choose his next landing spot here in the Lone Star State, but it will come to him, rather than him having to campaign for it.

I think he will be out in Lubbock, replacing Coach Bro when that show is over.[/quote

Not gonna happen ! Chad was TorTilla U's second choice when they hired Hollywood. As others have stated on here, if HCCM ever leaves , it will be for TAM.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:56 pm

BennyShillingsworth wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:SMU needs to be ready NOW to respond if necessary

I hope Hart is prepared for this. He should be.

If Chad Morris leaves for after 2 or 3 years, it will be a MASSIVE failure by Rick Hart and Gerald Turner. They need to start construction on the indoor facility that was originally slated to be FINISHED by 2017, they need to up his contract... If SMU Football is not turned around by the time Chad Morris leaves, the program will likely die. If they can't (won't) do anything about it, their only hope would be to promote Van Malone to Head Coach.

What Chad Morris has done in two years is incredible. The public perception of the program now after a 2 win and a 5ish win season is even better than it was when we went to bowl games 4 years in a row and played for a conference championship. They need to do everything they can to keep him happy and lock him down. Chad Morris SHOULD be our Gary Patterson or Mack Brown, but it's ALL in Hart and Turner's hands.

Malone would he the current recruiting class from being gutted of its high level players and he is familiar with the team.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:00 pm

I think it would be silly for Chad to take the Baylor job. I generally don't bash Baylor because of the denomination, but I just don't see this as an upgrade both as a job and for family life. I feel he would have two monumental tasks: 1) starting from scratch on the football team (he's finally making a turn around the corner here) and 2) repairing the Baylor image which has to make it fairly difficult to recruit. I think if Texas reached out to him then yeah he would be gone in a flash, but Texas thought of us as a "lesser school" and that hit Herman's resume from their perspective. Those Shorthorn boosters [deleted] me off though. You just lost to Kansas in football: you are the ultimate lesser school.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:24 am

After the debacle last night, it looks like Texas will be in the market too. Not a great year for Baylor to need a new coach. Have to compete with UT and LSU in the marketplace, which Baylor cannot do. And with the Aggies coming back down to earth, I wonder if potential prospects might consider waiting a year or so to see if that job comes open. Combine that with the stank currently hanging over the program and the university, that is one tough sell job for Baylor.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:57 pm

They might have the ghosts of Ghandi and Bear Bryant at the top of their list and it is more likely one of those 2 will coach at Baylor next year than Herman or Morris. BU is a dumpster fire. No currently employed FBS coach would eagerly walk into the worst situation in P5 football. This is not a rebuilding job yet as the bears are in free fall and likely have not struck bottom. B(R)apist U would have to empty the bank to attract someone who has ANY other prospects open to them. They need to focus on someone currently unemployed who wants to stay in or get back to a head coaching position or look for a good assistant eager to be the head man. Les Miles expressed interest. They would be even bigger dumb arses than they currently appear if they didn't go after him.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:11 am

I'll posit one rather disturbing thought: Texas loss to Kansas did SMU no favors regarding the positions opening up at schools local in this state. Tortilla U will be looking...Texas...Baylor...Houston (after Herman exits). Baylor will NOT be getting first tier coaches to look at them. I DO think they will approach Morris, largely because the competition for others will pass them by.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:43 am

peruna81 wrote:I'll posit one rather disturbing thought: Texas loss to Kansas did SMU no favors regarding the positions opening up at schools local in this state. Tortilla U will be looking...Texas...Baylor...Houston (after Herman exits). Baylor will NOT be getting first tier coaches to look at them. I DO think they will approach Morris, largely because the competition for others will pass them by.

100% agree. Morris will likely get a BU offer. Could get interesting. Hope he isn't interested. I have a BU friend who is pretty well in the know and they feel good about being able to get Chad Morris if/when the miss on Herman. Might just be BU hubris, but never know.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:45 am

Rumors in T-Town are swirling that a school in Texas has contacted and is offering good money to Lane Kiffin... Hmmm, I wonder which school it is?
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:57 am

Just wait until the day after Baylor plays WVU. Too much smoke from both sides.
smupony94

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:07 am

TidePony wrote:Rumors in T-Town are swirling that a school in Texas has contacted and is offering good money to Lane Kiffin... Hmmm, I wonder which school it is?

Houston?
RGV Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:20 am

ponypatrick wrote:... if HCCM ever leaves....

His bags are packed... he knows there is nothing for which to stay at SMU... he's too smart for that. Navy should be his last loss as coach here. :(
Bergermeister

Postby docabel » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:17 am

Charlie Strong to BU
docabel
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:24 am

Strong would be good for Baylor. They could give him a 5 or 6 year deal with a $1.00/year salary for the first 2 so he could collect his UT contract money and then whatever the going rate is for the balance.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:05 pm

SMU PROMOTION GENIUS:

"Come out to Ford Stadium Saturday and see the future head Coach of the Baylor Bears"

Baylor has more fans in Dallas than we do anyway
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football