PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BU reportedly has Herman and Morris at top of their list

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BU reportedly has Herman and Morris at top of their list

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:10 pm

Stallion must have a new fling as he has been making funnies lately
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby stangsup4 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:19 pm

My last hope is that CM and his agent are using Baylor as leverage to get a raise and a real IPF commitment.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:26 pm

No I'm just starting to wonder if I want to continue supporting a program whose "fans" think they can wait until SMU consistently wins 10 games to bother to show up

Saturday was a DISGRACE

Storming the Field against UH in front of 4,000 was an embarrassment

SMU has the right Coach right now but despite the fact that Morris and staff have fully engaged the community and outworked its competitors, SMU alumni, students, family and friends just don't give a [deleted]

You're not going to hear any criticism from me if Chad Morris bails. SMU "fans" deserve it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby leopold » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:32 pm

*sigh*

Look, Baylor is the flat-out better job right now. It just is. And that's fine.

But if you're Morris it's about where you want to end up eventually, and that isn't either SMU or Baylor. So it's whether or not Baylor puts him into a better position to move up.

If he's at Baylor then he's there the next three years at least. Baylor has too many losses at too many important positions to make them a ten win team next year - at least I believe so. They are paper thin in terms of depth now and lose the starting QB, RB, and a couple of others and have already lost a full recruiting class. Even if he salvages there class this year by bringing in his SMU recruits it's still not that impressive - you have the 60th ranked class in football in the American you're hot stuff, the 60th ranked class in the Big XII is fighting for last place. Their OOC schedule is a joke - again - for the most part but they do have to play at Duke, who may beat them. I expect Texas, Kansas State, and Iowa State to all be better next year.

Point is, he is going to need time to fix the upcoming problems everybody knows is coming to Baylor, and the key jobs he will want could be filled during that time. A&M could end up 10-3 this year and that will save Sumlin's job for this year, but he will still be on the hot seat next year, cruel as that is. Taking the Baylor job means that he could lose out on that opening, while if he's at SMU and takes us to a ten win season, which is plausible, he's first in line for it.

I honestly think he stays, but who knows. Hope the AD has a name in his pocket ready to go if so.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Yeah since it must really have come as a surprise that SMU's fan base is apathetic.

Something to be said, though, that there's no question we could not have had a stronger promoter of SMU than Chad. He was all smu all the time at least through Memorial day. That being said....great salesman/fan of the program or guy who stays in the office all the time.. Same result
RGV Pony

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:40 pm

stangsup4 wrote:My last hope is that CM and his agent are using Baylor as leverage to get a raise and a real IPF commitment.

Well Baylor already has solid facilities in place. As Coachman says on ESPN "He gone."
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby lwjr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:49 pm

TidePony wrote:Rumors in T-Town are swirling that a school in Texas has contacted and is offering good money to Lane Kiffin... Hmmm, I wonder which school it is?

Now this is interesting. A Baylor friend while not on the Drayton McClane level, does hang with the Baylor power players. He is telling me, Les Miles HC/Lane Kiffen OC, combo is gaining traction. I told him that's nuts. He agrees but that's what some of his Baylor brokers are telling him
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:53 pm

I think these programs all want sure things - and as refreshing as Chad is he is far from a sure thing at the next level. Baylor may have to reach down, but he may not want to have to fix that [deleted] show. He can wait (not very long) and get something a full notch and 1 Mill a year more.

Not defending our fan base - I go to everything so I don't get it either. But we don't ever play anyone because we are in a also ran conference, and that gets old. People have choices - and we will win 5 games this year. Not that big a deal to get excited about for the average fan who doesn't follow recruiting (i.e. almost everyone). They cant see the trajectory - only the results from last week.

We want something better, we need to be a bigger school, be in a better conference, or win 9 plus games.
gostangs

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:01 pm

LOLZ at you old fogies acting like we've turned some miraculous corner and our fans and alums should forget 30 years of being one of the five worst college football programs in the country.

ONE home game removed from getting war crimed by Memphis for Homecoming no less! Never change please. Just promise me that much :)
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Baylor has more of a commitment to winning than SMU even with the issues. RGT and SMU does not have that same level of commitment.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:13 pm

sigh....I feel like a broken record posting this but hey....its Turkey week.

1) 0-12 in 2004.
2) Winning percentage below .300 for the last 30 years
3) Zero conference championships
4) Two home wins against a Top 25 opponent at Ford Stadium since 2000
5) Four years of 1-11 in the past 30 years.
6) Zero weeks ranked in the Top 25
7) Zero 8 plus win regular seasons
8 Administration breaking out the knee pads for JJ after ASU-gate
9) Average record from 1989-2015 is right at 3-9
10) Four home wins in the last three years (UNT and Tulane in '15; Liberty and UH in '16)

This might come as a shock to you but anyone under the age of 40 that went to SMU saw what can only be described as PATHETIC football during their time as a student. Football was absolutely a non factor in anyone's decision to attend SMU from 1990-2016. Period. End of story.

This program and this university has FAILED its students and alumni for the better part of two generations now. Do I like Chad Morris? Absolutely. He's going to be a fantastic coach whether that is here or elsewhere. But to complain about our attendance given what this university has put out there over the past 30 years is just plain stupid. Look at this way old farts, at least you got to see SMU in its halcyon days being ranked (never seen it) in a conference that mattered (never seen it; likely will never see it) with a university that prioritized football (probably won't ever see that either). Those of us who aren't on the AARP mailing list can only imagine what that must've been like.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:20 pm

This is purely anecdotal but I was finally able to convince four old classmates of mine from the Class of 2006 to go watch the Homecoming game who each haven't been inside Ford in a decade. Spent all week telling that the Houston win was the turning point and that Chad Morris clearly has this thing headed in the right direction. They all seemed to generally agree and were excited about the game. What happened? We were sitting there in the middle of the second quarter and laughing at what we were seeing. They ended up bailing at the half and swore never to be tricked by me again. Honestly, I can't blame them one bit. For every awesome Houston type moment we have produced 10 moments like Memphis. People have better things to do than watch their alma mater get annihilated by Memphis. Sorry that's just the reality of where we are. Homecoming was not an aberration by this program's metrics but entirely the norm over the past 30 years. That's how you kill a fan base.
StallionsModelT

Postby GoMustAAngs2007 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:52 pm

SMT drops mic, walks out
GoMustAAngs2007
Junior Varsity

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Can't tell you how many times I've heard, "If SMU ever got really good, I'd go to games and support them."

If only that's how it worked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Stallion wrote:No I'm just starting to wonder if I want to continue supporting a program whose "fans" think they can wait until SMU consistently wins 10 games to bother to show up

Saturday was a DISGRACE

Storming the Field against UH in front of 4,000 was an embarrassment

SMU has the right Coach right now but despite the fact that Morris and staff have fully engaged the community and outworked its competitors, SMU alumni, students, family and friends just don't give a [deleted]

You're not going to hear any criticism from me if Chad Morris bails. SMU "fans" deserve it

This is 100% correct. Most don't give a [deleted] so why should Morris? Hurts for those of us that do but honestly, if you were in his shoes would you feel any different?
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football