PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dreaded and Feared Attendance Thread USF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Dreaded and Feared Attendance Thread USF

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:36 am

There are enough non-SMU college football fans living within 10 miles of SMU to fill Ford Stadium 3x who never give a single thought about going to a game there. Why people don't go can be debated but there is no doubt it is reason #1 we are not in a P5 conference and probably never will be. The only way to have a successful, bigtime program is by getting your city/town, the non students and alums (aka t-shirt fans), to feel like they are part of school's community. TCU figured this out a long time ago, SMU never has or doesn't care to make it happen.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUer » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:04 am

No amount of advertising is going to get non-alumni to rest coming to Ford until we consistently put a product out on the field that is consistently competitive and they can identify with. That is first task; which is why I wish Morris/Craddock showed more bravado in play calling.
SMUer

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:23 am

I thought it would have been so SMU to clinch bowl eligibility before 2,000 SMU fans. I thought it was destiny

SMU already owns the most embarrassing storming of the field in the history of the internet with about 4,000 fans at UH game. I just don't know what to say any more. These are people with high priced tickets between the 30-50 so don't tell me this doesn't demonstrate quite clearly that most SMU fans just don't give a damn. Thanks for everybody that stayed. The rest of you gave Chad Morris a big reason to get the Hell out of Dodge

I was proud this team never quit despite one of the most frustrating games I can remember. Breaks just didn't go our way-and let's acknowledge that USF has some damn good athletes that burned us. During that 4th Q drive, those boys picked it up a notch and jammed it down our throats. Marlon Mack ran as hard as I've seen in that drive and they were knocking SMU off the ball. Great teams rise to the occasion. USF deserved the W but SMU beats most teams on our schedule with that effort. I thought SMU was extremely well prepared for this game. USF had back to back games with over 600 yards Total Offense.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:17 am

Stallion wrote:I thought it would have been so SMU to clinch bowl eligibility before 2,000 SMU fans. I thought it was destiny

There's always next week :mrgreen:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby sbsmith » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:24 am

SMUer wrote:No amount of advertising is going to get non-alumni to rest coming to Ford until we consistently put a product out on the field that is consistently competitive and they can identify with.

We're going to have to go 11-1/12-0 for anyone to get over their myriad of excuses for constantly skipping games. We're going to have a helluva time keeping any coach worth a damn when they know that they have to be practically perfect just to get passable fan support.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby 03Mustang » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:40 am

I'm done hoping for attendance to be better. If it happens one day that will be great, but nothing that I've seen over the past 20 years says we are going to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:57 am

this team and the loyal 1500 deserve better but it is what it is...and has been for a long, long time. Great effort by our team and coaching staff last night, though. Entertaining game right to the bitter end. If we can just hang onto Chad, the future looks bright
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:58 am

The 300 middle school cheerleaders preparing to enter the field at halftime were louder than our 2nd half fan population.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:00 am

mtrout wrote:The 300 middle school cheerleaders preparing to enter the field at halftime were louder than our 2nd half fan population.

Those 50 USF fans chanting "USF USF USF" at the end were louder than our 2nd half fan population.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 am

sbsmith wrote:
mtrout wrote:The 300 middle school cheerleaders preparing to enter the field at halftime were louder than our 2nd half fan population.

Those 50 USF fans chanting "USF USF USF" at the end were louder than our 2nd half fan population.

kind of reminded me of the 100 or so fans we took to USF game in Tampa a few years back when we beat them 14-12 in what was a very empty Raymond James Stadium. I think they had about 15-20,000 that night which is less than half their undergraduate population, so that's on par with our drawing about 3,000 for the game last night.
Charleston Pony

Postby jimhagle » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:35 am

This city and our students are about as apathetic about our football program as it gets. The only way we wake up this dormant fan base is to win and win like Patterson has done at TCU.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:14 am

You don't reverse 30 years of bad football apathy with a 5-5 team playing for a chance to make the dumpster fire bowl. The faithful got hooked on SMU football back in the glory days and there just aren't enough of us. It's going to take some legitimately big seasons and games with real significance to reverse the trend.

I understand the ones that stayed away because of apathy, but anyone that stayed away because of weather was stupid. It was a beautiful night for football and an entertaining game.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:35 am

ReedFrawg wrote:Ouch...not good. Deleted photos asap.

The fans were in the concourse.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Top Twenty » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:32 am

Face it...we must commit next year to a Mustang Mania promotional blitz. It worked before, and would again.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:17 pm

Top Twenty wrote:Face it...we must commit next year to a Mustang Mania promotional blitz. It worked before, and would again.

I agree and it would be easier to fill Ford Stadium than it was the Cotton Bowl and Texas Stadium.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football