PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts on the game

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 pm

- It didn't really get cold until everyone in my section left at 28-14...
- I love everyone in my section. I'm not dogging on them. But we have 0 fanbase under the age of 40. And the 22-35 crowd is who sticks it out in the cold.
- The USF drive after we closed it to 28-24 was really, really depressing. WTF happened? We had shut them down outside of the first play, the fourth down play and the turnovers. And then that drive?
- Lack of dominance at any of the OL positions kills us inside the ten. You have to win your battles there. Nobody is scared of us throwing the ball, so they crowd the inside.
- After it was obvious we were going to struggle in the redzone, I would have liked to see fade to Sutton, or Freeman in the wildcat, or (what worked last week) Kevin Johnson. What happened to that? Gave us a speed option to the outside if they jammed up the middle.
- The pass that Hicks floated in the endzone that allowed the defensive player to get back and make a play is the one that got away.
- Not going to be too critical though; if it went to OT, Flowers vs our inability to score in the red zone gives them a major advantage.
- Great effort by the team. The way the game opened, it could have been Memphis part duex. Good work by the coaches and the team preventing that from happening.
- Why did it take us this long to target Sutton this frequently?
- Remember how June always had J Davis, Banjo, and other starters on special teams? I think we see why - starters on kickoff coverage vastly improved the effort.
- Kickoff return we still don't block. The bit with 3 returners instead of 2 removes a blocker and that can't help.
- Ever notice how our fastest guy of the 3 is K Johnson and he lines up in the middle and never gets the ball? Thomas always catches it on the outside. Other teams actually do their kickoff to the sidelines. Our kickoff in the middle of the field is the one we got burned on. And we have our best returner lining up in the middle of the field with coverage on either side, and he never gets the ball.
- WTF with the punt catch over the shoulder at the 1? We blamed it on Deion and we blamed it on youth and other people... I think there is a trend with the horrible kick return, kick coverage, punt coverage, punt return, punting. Special teams coach needs to go. Something needs to change. We have the worst unit in every phase of special teams of any of the teams we have played this year.
- We have a shot against Navy. They only had to throw three times against USF. We showed tonight we can do a decent job against the run. But the key is negative plays. We have to force Navy to make mistakes. If you play passive, like against Tulane, they will get 5 yards a play and grind you to death. You have to create negative plays. Safeties covering the pitch, blitzing up the middle so that the ends can go wide and contain. Isolate corners on an island. You have to gamble, otherwise it is death by paper cut. Hell be creative - go with 5 DL and 2 LBs. You have to go "all out". Because Navy isn't going to commit penalties, and they aren't going to turn the ball over. They will fall forward for 2 yards and go for it on 4th and 2 over and over and over again. Give up 2 home run plays instead of 5 ten minute TD drives. The thing that makes this game difference in the past is that we have corners good enough to iso and depth on the defensive line. If we play things right and stay aggressive, all is not lost. Air Force and USF both beat Navy by playing super aggressive early and getting out to a big lead. We can do that as well.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Thoughts on the game

Postby smupony94 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:23 pm

smupony94

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:28 pm

Great write up. Sucks to lose...but don't give up 1 play drives to start both halves and we win this.

And I don't buy the tweet. Either take a picture if you're so offended, or get louder. BTW, why were those seats open in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Do some research on who he is
smupony94

Postby gostangs » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:40 pm

can you post that in a form where it can be read?
gostangs

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:41 pm

JasonB wrote: - Why did it take us this long to target Sutton this frequently?

Observation of the millenium
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:56 pm

Navy 66 ECU 31

And if you stop the June Jones sucking up you will notice that we do have some regular players
on the kick off coverage. And June's kick off coverage wasn't that good.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Professors went to the game?
Of course SMU can beat Navy!!
If the D-line and LBs can take of business like they did vs UH.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:46 am

smupony94 wrote:Do some research on who he is

Since he's not a retired canadian hockey player, I can only assume he is part of the medical staff. He should have gotten their names and contacted Hart. Don't need to put this on the twitter feed as a member of the athletic department staff, even as an associate (if it is the medical guy I found on the google machine).

Just my belief that you always ensure you listen to and are open to staff issues and complaints, and always keep these internal so you can best handle in the appropriate fashion. The moment you go [deleted] on social media about something you are a part of, you are saying you have no control and no voice so you feel compelled to yell. And if that is the case, and he does feel the way, then Hart et al they need to do some serious work.

And if it is someone else...bleh.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:28 am

Someone please tell me why Kevin Thomas is returning KOs. He showed nothing yesterday. I guess that is why USF kept kicking it to him. That is on our coaches.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:07 am

as bad as our kick & punt coverage teams have been, we saw improvement yesterday and once our starters got involved, we saw some tremendous hitting out there...I think it made USF return guys a little tentative. And speaking of hitting...Demerick Gary is going to be a beast on the defensive side of the ball.
Charleston Pony

Postby TidePony » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:01 pm

This ^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan32 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:02 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Navy 66 ECU 31

And if you stop the June Jones sucking up you will notice that we do have some regular players
on the kick off coverage. And June's kick off coverage wasn't that good.

June hasn't been our coach for over two years. It's time to stop hounding JasonB for being a June suck up and move on. Or do you not have anything better to do?
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:15 pm

While we had 2 shots in the 4th to tie the game up (1 pick and the 4th and 1 we didn't convert) I really feel like we got screwed at the end of the first half with the fumble called on B-West that gave USF the lead. I am usually not one to complain about refs, but with replay no idea how that wasn't overturned.

I thought our guys did a great job responding every time USF made a big play. The defense showed up and played well, sans a couple of times getting beat deep. The special teams, while albeit not great were so much improved. This loss is tough to swallow because we played well enough to win, but hopefully the coaches and players can refocus and get ready for one more chance to get bowl eligible against Navy.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Thoughts on the game

Postby lwjr » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:18 pm

smupony94 wrote:Image

Professors at the game? Were they lost?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Next

Return to Football