PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

IF Chad leaves...who's on the list for our next HC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: IF Chad leaves...who's on the list for our next HC?

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:36 pm

RepublicanPNY wrote:Why do you guys want Charlie Strong? He doesn't appear to be a very good salesman and he failed with UT's endless resources.

As Stallion has mentioned, when a coach tears up the program and builds from the bottom up it is reasonable to expect a 3-4 year rebuild. With that being the case 2017 would be the season UT should be winning big. I think there may be better options available, but he is worth a flier given that he has been actively recruiting Texas for the past 3 seasons and the fact that we would be able to save big money on his contract thanks to the UT buyout.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:33 pm

RepublicanPNY wrote:Why do you guys want Charlie Strong? He doesn't appear to be a very good salesman and he failed with UT's endless resources.

I'm not sure why he'd want us since fan support is a big deal to him. He constantly rode Louisville fans about showing up early and selling out the stadium and their fan support was pretty damn good.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMUer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:39 pm

I think a Strong/Malone locker room would have a powerful, no-quit, do things the right way culture. Keeping Malone makes a strong play to retain our current recruits as best we can, maybe we add some of Strong's, and with UT playing Strong for awhile we can go pluck the best OC we can lure...
SMUer

Postby SMUer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:40 pm

sbsmith wrote:

I'm not sure why he'd want us since fan support is a big deal to him. He constantly rode Louisville fans about showing up early and selling out the stadium and their fan support was pretty damn good.

Maybe we need a coach like Herman who won't ask politely for fan support...
Last edited by SMUer on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMUer

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:42 pm

SMUer wrote:I think a Strong/Malone locker room would have a powerful, no-quit, do things the right way culture. Keeping Malone makes a strong play to retain our current recruits as best we can, maybe we add some of Strong's, and with UT playing Strong for awhile we can go pluck the best OC we can lure...

Wouldn't work. Strong is a defensive coach and so is Malone. Ideally you'd want to pair either one with a big name OC.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:46 pm

SMUer wrote:Maybe we need a coach like Herman would won't ask politely for fan support...

That would be interesting to see though we'd probably just ignore him or tell him that we'll show up when he gives us a perfect team.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMUer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:40 pm

mavsrage311 wrote:
SMUer wrote:I think a Strong/Malone locker room would have a powerful, no-quit, do things the right way culture. Keeping Malone makes a strong play to retain our current recruits as best we can, maybe we add some of Strong's, and with UT playing Strong for awhile we can go pluck the best OC we can lure...

Wouldn't work. Strong is a defensive coach and so is Malone. Ideally you'd want to pair either one with a big name OC.

Maybe. Current OCs and former OC coaches get along all the time so I don't see why DCs and former DC coaches couldn't also...unless they preferred totally different defensive schemes or Malone couldn't work underneath someone, things I do not know. I assume Malone would benefit from observing Charlie Strong run a program as well, if he aspires to be a HC. I guess, there is just something alluring about it, and it gives us the best shot to preserve/build upon our current class, which already has needs.
SMUer

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:20 am

It's a very intriguing dynamic for sure. But would we be lacking the baby kisser factor that chad brought us?
smusic 00

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:10 am

mavsrage311 wrote:

You hire Sterling Gilbert OC. Problem solved.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Digetydog » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:51 am

SMUer wrote:
mavsrage311 wrote:

Maybe. Current OCs and former OC coaches get along all the time so I don't see why DCs and former DC coaches couldn't also...unless they preferred totally different defensive schemes or Malone couldn't work underneath someone, things I do not know. I assume Malone would benefit from observing Charlie Strong run a program as well, if he aspires to be a HC. I guess, there is just something alluring about it, and it gives us the best shot to preserve/build upon our current class, which already has needs.

If Malone worked for Strong, it would be viewed as a demotion even if he kept the DC title.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:04 am

I have been initially pleased with the last two HC hires even though the ultimate results with Jones were not good. The right choice can build on what Chad has done. I will put my faith in the right choice being made and dream on for success before I die.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby FIVE-O-FAN » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:31 am

I just read the quote at the bottom of mrydel's post. I laughed hard enough that my wife asked what was wrong. I read it to her and she laughed as well, and she laughs at nothing. Thanks for that...
FIVE-O-FAN
All-American

Postby redpony » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:38 am

mrydel is the Will Rogers of PF and CP. :)
redpony

Postby redpony » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:42 am

I have no idea who might be the next coach but I sure hope our AD has already started a very aggressive search and has a list of top candidates. We need move quickly to protect the current recruits who have said they will come to SMU as well as recruit some additional ones.

If chad makes an announcement to leave on Monday our AD should be lining up interviews on Tues.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:48 am

Hopefully interviews with agents have already begun.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football