PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will Navy be Chad's final SMU game?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will Navy be Chad's final SMU game?

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:56 am

Baylor narrowing its coaching search to a few big names
Two names at the top of Baylor's list are Houston's Tom Herman and SMU's Chad Morris

Nov 18, 2016

We don't know who will be Baylor's coach at the start of the 2017 season, but it's becoming increasingly clear that it will not be Jim Grobe.

Earlier this week, CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd reported that former LSU coach Les Miles is on Baylor's short list to replace Art Briles, and now 247 Sports' Travis Haney reports that two other names at the top of the list are Houston's Tom Herman and SMU's Chad Morris.

As Haney writes, Baylor's new athletic director is Mack Rhoades, who was the athletic director at Houston when it hired Tom Herman. Rhoades didn't stick around long after hiring Herman, moving on to Missouri before winding up at Baylor (dude gets around). It's not clear if that connection would be enough to lure Herman, who is certainly a candidate for the LSU job, and would be considered at Texas and Oregon if those jobs opened as well. I'm not sure Baylor -- with everything that has gone on with the program over the last year -- would be as attractive a destination for Herman when compared to those other possibilities, but a source tells Haney that Baylor's "not giving up."

Chad Morris being a target is an interesting one, and it's also somewhat ironic. Herman's star had begun to fade in recent weeks before Houston lit up Louisville on Thursday night, and one of the reasons Herman had been losing some steam were unexpected losses to Navy and Morris' SMU squad. Morris is only 7-15 in his second season at SMU, but he's currently 5-5 this year after winning only two games in 2015. Before coming to SMU Morris spent four seasons at Clemson as it's offensive coordinator, helping Dabo Swinney turn that program into a national title contender. Before that, he spent many a year as a high school coach in Texas.

All of which would make Morris an attractive and smart target for Baylor. He could keep the offensive tradition alive, and he's very familiar with the high school football scene in Texas, which would help with recruiting. He may not have the same cache as Tom Herman, but he could prove to be a wise choice.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... d=31316747
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Will Navy be Chad's final SMU game?

Postby ponynut » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:37 am

Does not Baylor still have the NCAA hanging over their heads due to Title IX violations? Why would any coach want that job knowing there may be some sanctions down the road. I would be disappointed if Morris would leave but due to no IPF and poor attendance I would understand. I only hope he stays and gets our program turned around and on sound grounds.
ponynut
Varsity

Postby jimhagle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:42 am

For the love of......stop with this talk.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:43 am

If your new employer offered you double the salary and it was going to be a challenge would you take it....
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lwjr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am

One Trick Pony wrote:If your new employer offered you double the salary and it was going to be a challenge would you take it....

It depends.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Pony81 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

We have HCCM for one more year. We will have the best team since the 80s and I can see a 9 win season.

TTU or A&M will come calling.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby jimhagle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:17 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:If your new employer offered you double the salary and it was going to be a challenge would you take it....

Trust me he isn't going anywhere soon.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Click the video link below and fast forward to the 6:50 mark....

Is this a clue?

Chad didn't really answer the question and changed the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHuAqkDhtRI
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:33 pm

My previous employer offered a substantially higher salary and $50,000 bonus to stay when I resigned to go elsewhere. I told them no.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:58 pm

if you got an offer from a discredited firm for twice the dough, and knew you were going to have to work for disorganized a$$holes, but you knew you could wait a year and get even more from one of the best companies in the business - wouldn't you wait to go to the best?
gostangs

Postby mtrout » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:00 pm

jimhagle wrote:

My mom told me not to trust people on anonymous message boards.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:02 pm

gostangs wrote:if you got an offer from a discredited firm for twice the dough, and knew you were going to have to work for disorganized a$$holes, but you knew you could wait a year and get even more from one of the best companies in the business - wouldn't you wait to go to the best?

In this hypothetical did you also contact the discredited firms recruiter not a week after the individual at the center of the discrediting event was let go?
RGV Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:08 pm

jimhagle wrote:

Any reason we should trust you, when i've heard others saying there is a good chance he is leaving? (hoping to stay with you in the denial stage).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Assume the position, SMU.
smusic 00

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Good for him if he leaves. I hope he stays but it isn't the end of the world if Chad Morris leaves. The formula is there. Go get the next Chad Morris. If we're committed to paying $2M for a head coach we're going to get some quality candidates to give us a serious look.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Next

Return to Football