PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Relax

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Relax

Postby mustangxc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:35 am

The Miami Hurricanes had horrible attendance during their dominant years in the early 2000's. We need to use the same formula they used. Take kids that want to represent Dallas and have an us against the world mentality. With our tv contract and newfound respect from Nike thanks to basketball we have the exposure and cache such that we can now be a made for TV team. We just need the right leadership and mindset to make it happen. Building the IPF wouldn't hurt either.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sbsmith » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:27 am

mustangxc wrote:The Miami Hurricanes had horrible attendance during their dominant years in the early 2000's. We need to use the same formula they used. Take kids that want to represent Dallas and have an us against the world mentality.

They used the "recruiting at an elite level" formula. By that time kids went there not just because they wanted to represent the city but because "The U" was a national championship winning, NFL factory whose players were practically gods in Miami.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mustangxc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:34 am

The point is that great attendance was never part of the formula for them. We can build a great football program if we find our niche. I am not saying it is easy, just that it can be done. Also, I do not expect multiple national championships, just a program we can all be proud of.
mustangxc

Postby sbsmith » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:47 am

mustangxc wrote:The point is that great attendance was never part of the formula for them. We can build a great football program if we find our niche. I am not saying it is easy, just that it can be done. Also, I do not expect multiple national championships, just a program we can all be proud of.

I listed other, more important parts of their formula that we're not going to be able to replicate. Miami is just not a great example for us.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:49 am

mustangxc wrote:The Miami Hurricanes had horrible attendance during their dominant years in the early 2000's. We need to use the same formula they used. Take kids that want to represent Dallas and have an us against the world mentality. With our tv contract and newfound respect from Nike thanks to basketball we have the exposure and cache such that we can now be a made for TV team. We just need the right leadership and mindset to make it happen. Building the IPF wouldn't hurt either.

Then recruit good players within 100 miles of the school and have a PE major or general studies that can keep marginal athletes eligible. It's possible.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony81 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:59 pm

I think coaches are like other people .... In it for the money and then to impact the lives of their players. Sure full stadiums are nice but believe me Chad and staff are leaving for the money. We could sell out every game and they would walk for a 2X payday.
Our problems are a culmination of 30 years of losing, ease of watching in HD at home, and our recent horrible performance ( sorry but the Memphis HC blowout was terrible).
Our society simply has choices and won't tolerate watching losing sports. I watched the end of the A&M game last night where they lost in blowout fashion to LSU. No one in the stands in the 4th quarter. And this is the most loyal, rapid, fan base in college football.
I have a friends whose children go to Vanderbilt - on campus stadium similar to ours, but big name teams come to play. Student Attendance : very poor. I'm told most don't bother to walk 100 yds to see Vandy get beat by say Florida. So, these are the times we live in. Let's get competitive , win games against the bottom of the Big 12, continue to build the Blvd, and enjoy what we have. Hopefully over 5 years or so we will see a 2/3rds full stadium that sticks around.
But that is reality. When we played in the Cotton Bowl in the late 70s before Pony Express we had horrible attendance . So let's not kid ourselves that there are SMU fans who will support a losing team. Never have and never will.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:12 pm

sbsmith wrote:
mustangxc wrote:The point is that great attendance was never part of the formula for them. We can build a great football program if we find our niche. I am not saying it is easy, just that it can be done. Also, I do not expect multiple national championships, just a program we can all be proud of.

I listed other, more important parts of their formula that we're not going to be able to replicate. Miami is just not a great example for us.

By "recruiting at an elite level" do you mean they were brazen cheaters? If so, then I concede your point.

My argument for Miami as an example is simply that it has been done with poor attendance so it can be done. I don't even have Miami type expectations, simply saying that we can be much better than we are and have been. Additionally Miami never retained any coach for more than 6 season throughout their run of national championships so there is no need to break the bank to retain a head coach. Just get someone that is hungry to improve the program. If he recruits better and wins more than the previous coach then you can consider it a successful hire. Invest in marketing (uniforms, digital media, promotions to increase attendance) and save up for the IPF.

Schnellenberger 5 seasons
Jimmy Johnson 5 seasons
Dennis Erickson 6 seasons
Butch Davis 6 seasons
Larry Coker 6 seasons
mustangxc

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:there are only about 6K students enrolled. Even if every single one of them attended, we wouldn't be close to filling the stadium. need a 10-win team for there to be a local buzz about SMU football, and we're not getting that if we don't have a hungry and committed coach for the long haul. Morris is the ideal man for the job, so i'll be really disappointed if he leaves. the SMU boosters and higher-ups need to pony up and pay the man

the point is that SMU puts out between 1,000-2,000 graduates every year and many of those stay in the DFW area or within a few hours drive of Dallas, so there are plenty of SMU students & alumni to fill Ford, especially when you consider how many have families that serve to multiply the numbers of eligible attendees. By comparison with most schools that play Division I - FBS football, a lower percentage of our students and alumni over the past 30 years are interested in sports. The evidence post death penalty is obvious and it just seems to be getting worse. Chad Morris is/was THE GUY to change the culture around here but I think most of us realize just how serious our condition is right now. I'm not sure Chad or any coach fully appreciated how little interest there is and how difficult a job this is. If Chad is in fact bailing on us, next coach has to know he's going to have to recruit kids who don't care about the in-stadium game day environment. I'm more concerned than ever.

Well put CP.

BTW, per SMU's own website there are some 40k alumni in the DFW area.
SoCal_Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:54 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:there are only about 6K students enrolled. Even if every single one of them attended, we wouldn't be close to filling the stadium. need a 10-win team for there to be a local buzz about SMU football, and we're not getting that if we don't have a hungry and committed coach for the long haul. Morris is the ideal man for the job, so i'll be really disappointed if he leaves. the SMU boosters and higher-ups need to pony up and pay the man

the point is that SMU puts out between 1,000-2,000 graduates every year and many of those stay in the DFW area or within a few hours drive of Dallas, so there are plenty of SMU students & alumni to fill Ford, especially when you consider how many have families that serve to multiply the numbers of eligible attendees. By comparison with most schools that play Division I - FBS football, a lower percentage of our students and alumni over the past 30 years are interested in sports. The evidence post death penalty is obvious and it just seems to be getting worse. Chad Morris is/was THE GUY to change the culture around here but I think most of us realize just how serious our condition is right now. I'm not sure Chad or any coach fully appreciated how little interest there is and how difficult a job this is. If Chad is in fact bailing on us, next coach has to know he's going to have to recruit kids who don't care about the in-stadium game day environment. I'm more concerned than ever.

Well put CP.

BTW, per SMU's own website there are some 40k alumni in the DFW area.

Of that 40k, how many are undergrad alumni and how many are grad school alumni?
CalallenStang

Postby mustangxc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:49 pm

I believe we graduate 1,200-1,500 undergraduates per year.
mustangxc

Postby smupony94 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:57 pm

smupony94

Postby mrydel » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Selfie?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:18 pm

smupony94 wrote:Image

Too funny.

You know, I think I'd rather be the guy in the mask than the friend talking to him.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Nacho » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:31 pm

I'm glad for Chad in the same way I'm glad for the guy who stole my girlfriend when I was in college.
Nacho

Postby SMUer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:24 pm

So all we need to do is get 80% of our alumni into the stadium each Sunday...geez, SO EASY!
SMUer

PreviousNext

Return to Football