PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

HCCM - The Rebuttal

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: HCCM - The Rebuttal

Postby lollaperuna » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:15 am

gostangs wrote:So we think apathy is an issue, even though we haven't won in a meaningful way in 30 years and have not been in a decent conference in forever. We are lucky we have any fans. We have to earn them back with lots of wins.

5 wins isn't going to get noticed in Dallas. That is not yet a turn around. There is nothing for chad to be unhappy with at this point.
I
And those that say turner and our leadership are not into athletics are just stupid. We have raised millions and millions - over 100 million - in only ten years for basketball, swimming, tennis, lacrosse, football, new weight rooms and offices, golf etc. That narrative could not be more idiotic.

Completely agree, and not having the IPF built yet isn't holding us back.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:16 am

ReedFrawg wrote:
gostangs wrote:So we think apathy is an issue, even though we haven't won in a meaningful way in 30 years and have not been in a decent conference in forever. We are lucky we have any fans. We have to earn them back with lots of wins.

5 wins isn't going to get noticed in Dallas. That is not yet a turn around. There is nothing for chad to be unhappy with at this point.

And those that say turner and our leadership are not into athletics are just stupid. We have raised millions and millions - over 100 million - in only ten years for basketball, swimming, tennis, lacrosse, football, new weight rooms and offices, golf etc. That narrative could not be more idiotic.

IPF should have been prioritized over all of this junk except hoops.

Exactly. Can't go stick our heads in the sand and pretend like a dollar raised for athletics is the same no matter what it's raised for. That's the truly idiotic narrative. Alumni support, TV money potential and potential for future student interest in SMU do not fluctuate based on the tennis team's success.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:51 am

ReedFrawg wrote:IPF should have been prioritized over all of this junk except hoops.

Right, an IPF will help recruiting and good recruiting will help winning.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Silk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:17 am

And winning will help attendance.

Not knowing HCCM's immediate future is somewhat torturous, but it is nice to have a coach who is good enough that someone else actually wants him.
Silk
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:32 am

Rebel10 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Last I checked we have not won a game since November 12.

That is just 2 weeks ago you idiot. You make it sound like we have lost 4 or 5 games in a row. And it in amazing we haven't with what your boy JJ left us.

November 12 was 11 days ago when I wrote that. Who is the idiot now? If you are going to point out the obvious at least get your facts right. I have never said I am anything but pleased with the progress we have made under Chad Morris. I have never seen anyone more obsessed with June Jones than you. I have always preached patience with all of our coaches. I was happy to see Phil Bennett get that last year to try for bowl eligibility. You are clearly a Chad Morris suck up. He has been great for us. No one, aside from StallionsModelT, is arguing he hasn't. My statement was in regards to the notion that our fans are freaking out for no reason. I was merely pointing out that if there was nothing to worry about, it is an odd time to upgrade and extend his contract. If we had done it immediately after beating Houston, I would not question it. If it had been the 5 win threshold I guess it would make sense on its own. However we are doing so immediately following a loss and with one game in the season while rumors are flying that Baylor is about to pry him from us. I guess it is to much to expect some semblance of rationality from the most irrational and idiotic poster in the history of this forum and that includes all of the Houston trolls, etc. At least with them, I know they are simply trying to draw people's ire. In your case it is just anger and stupidity.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:35 am

mustangxc wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Last I checked we have not won a game since November 12.

That is just 2 weeks ago you idiot. You make it sound like we have lost 4 or 5 games in a row. And it in amazing we haven't with what your boy JJ left us.

November 12 was 11 days ago when I wrote that. Who is the idiot now? If you are going to point out the obvious at least get your facts right. I have never said I am anything but pleased with the progress we have made under Chad Morris. I have never seen anyone more obsessed with June Jones than you. I have always preached patience with all of our coaches. I was happy to see Phil Bennett get that last year to try for bowl eligibility. You are clearly a Chad Morris suck up. He has been great for us. No one, aside from StallionsModelT, is arguing he hasn't. My statement was in regards to the notion that our fans are freaking out for no reason. I was merely pointing out that if there was nothing to worry about, it is an odd time to upgrade and extend his contract. If we had done it immediately after beating Houston, I would not question it. If it had been the 5 win threshold I guess it would make sense on its own. However we are doing so immediately following a loss and with one game in the season while rumors are flying that Baylor is about to pry him from us. I guess it is to much to expect some semblance of rationality from the most irrational and idiotic poster in the history of this forum and that includes all of the Houston trolls, etc. At least with them, I know they are simply trying to draw people's ire. In your case it is just anger and stupidity.

JJ suck up.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 am

just like basketball had its Basketball oriented boosters to renovate Moody;

David Miller
the Moody Foundation

Tennis had its Tennis oriented boosters to build their Tennis facility:

the Founder of T-Bar-M
the Turpin Family
the Reneberg Family
the Brookshires

the Swimming exes have been working on funding their facility for decades-here's a list-I don't follow swimming that closely but I'd be willing to bet most were connected to the swimming program-I don't think these are the big names that have bankrolled Football/Basketball in the past

Lead donors to the SMU Aquatics Center include Shelli and Steve Lindley '74 and the Willard M. and Ruth Mayer Johnson Charitable Foundation, the J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation, Emily and Bruce Robson '74, Hannah and Joe Robson '76, and Susan Cooper Wilson '67 and Robert A. Wilson '67.

Major donors include Michele Stackhouse Berube ’97 and Ryan T. Berube ’97; Frank M. Dunlevy ’71 and Susan Dunlevy; Maureen G. Frieze ’84 and J. Ed Frieze ’81; John M. Haley ’64 and Margie Jackson Haley ’67, ’68; Cindy L. Hawkins and Pat C. Hawkins ’70, ’71, ’72; Anna Marie Krizman Hurwitz and Joseph M. Hurwitz ’75; Dane K. Johnson, D.O., FACOS ’75; Mr. and Mrs. T. Gregory Kraus ’80; Greg M. Swalwell '79 and Terry G. Connor; John T. Unger ’73, ’74 and Kathy J. Welch ’74; and Terry Warner ’74.

BOTTOM LINE-nobody has written a check for the IPF despite EVERYBODY knowing its the No. 1 Priority for SMU Football and Chad Morris-explain that away? Donors dedicate funds for the projects they are personally invested in. There is no SMU Football Booster on this Planet that doesn't know that the IPF is the major priority-yet it hasn't been funded
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:47 am

JasonB wrote:IPF wasn't an outright lie. Some things happened economically and a major, major donor had to put things on hold.

RGT did not have the major donor until months after Coach Morris was hired.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:02 am

well I have it on pretty good authority we are at about 15M in pledges right now. 30 gets it started.

We have NEVER prioritized something as we have the IPF and NOT built it. What will it take for some of you to have some faith? We always get this done - which is amazing based on our history.

These big funds don't grow on trees and it is tough to get a million plus out of someone - there are lots of good uses for those funds that don't involve a building that benefits 18 year old football players who are here to entertain 60 year old men, at a university that is suppose to be primarily for higher education.

If anyone has ideas for who wants to do that, I am sure our AD would welcome them, or maybe even you money.
gostangs

Postby West Coast Johnny » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:27 am

Reiterating what others have already said... Baylor isn't a good job during the best of times and these are definately not the best of times. They've already lost half of the 2016 recruiting class (the good half), all of the 2017 class and have already entered a downward spiral in terms of their on-the-field quality, which means that Baylor will be behind the recruiting eight-ball for several years. I wouldn't fault HCCM from bolting to another school but for the forseeable future, he has no shot of success at Baylor. He should sit tight and continue to build SMU because there are better opertunities on the horizon.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:41 am

West Coast Johnny wrote:Reiterating what others have already said... Baylor isn't a good job during the best of times and these are definately not the best of times. They've already lost half of the 2016 recruiting class (the good half), all of the 2017 class and have already entered a downward spiral in terms of their on-the-field quality, which means that Baylor will be behind the recruiting eight-ball for several years. I wouldn't fault HCCM from bolting to another school but for the forseeable future, he has no shot of success at Baylor. He should sit tight and continue to build SMU because there are better opertunities on the horizon.

Just to play Devil's advocate here...

1.) HCCM can take all of his SMU recruits to Baylor, and get his QB of the future (Brewer) enrolled now. He has great relationships with Texas HS coaches and could probably land some big names this year and hit it hard for the next year.

2.) Given the transgressions at BU (horrific stuff I must add), the role of the HC for the foreseeable future will all be about a "culture change". HCCM can take all of his work with Brenda Tracy and victims advocates and basically do it all over again at BU. "Not on my campus"...Teal Game..etc. Winning football games won't be a factor until that other stuff is completed in years 1&2.

3.) Art Briles had success and if not for the disgusting behavior of all involved, from coaches to players to admin, he'd still be coaching there now and probably until his retirement. There is good job security there, fervent support by students and alums (sometimes blindly, as recent issues have shown), and a culture that puts football first (again, horrific given what happened).

4.) Where most P5 jobs require success within a 3-year window so as to avoid the dreaded hot seat, this Baylor job has a much longer runway given all that has occurred. The next coach probably gets 5 years to get the program up and running again.

Now, I think Baylor is a disgusting place that I would never allow my daughter to attend...vile behavior from all involved, including the President and BOTs, and hopefully this stain remains on Baylor for generations. I'd be in favor of a death penalty, like many media folks have suggested. But realistically, that will never happen. Look at PSU - they are fine now.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Channel 5 says he's accepted offer from Baylor. :(
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm

SmooBoy wrote:Says he's going nowhere per TW reports from players.

Now Dallasnews.com reporting possible SMU raise and extension to retain him.

Anyone care to post any of these tweets that suggest that yesterday Chad told them he was staying?
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 pm

If I were Morris I would never consider the Baylor job. It is not the job he wants and is not a real stepping stone job. He would be foolish to take on a program that may be facing years of sanctions and loss of scholarships. How do you recruit and build back a program with these issues plaguing him for a number of years? How do you convince a recruit to come into an environment that has not been cleaned up let alone faced self and NCAA sanctions. He is far better off living in a wonderful neighborhood, close to family and childhood friends and where he and his wife fully enjoy a great life style. A far cry from what he might have in Waco. He knows that if successful for several more years at SMU that he can write his ticket anywhere without a stepping stone like Baylor that is fraught with problems and not necessary for his resume'. I think he stays and waits for far better situations.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Let's just wait until Monday. It will all sort itself out.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football