PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fire Turner

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fire Turner

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:25 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:What will we complain about when we have an IPF and there's no national championship?

G5 conference
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leopold » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:34 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:Honestly, in the next 10 years we're either going to drop football altogether or drop to a lower tier of competition b/c as our only source of true fans start dying off we have nothing to replace them with. We are never getting people who graduated from 90-2015 back into Ford without being a Top 25 program. Even then I doubt we ever average 20K.

I happen to agree with this statement. Which makes the IPF investment all the more dicey.

FTR, I told Turner when Ford was under construction that he was building at 32k seat mausoleum (due do existing 'Model'). He said I was misguided.

I'm sorry, this isn't even close to being true.

For gods sakes man, even UAB couldn't get rid of their program and they TRIED. The costs are under control, we've shown we can win 7 games with a HC sleep waking through the job, and basketball has shown we can win in a major sport. Football will be here for the next fifty years and I'll bet you any amount you want on it.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:08 am

leopold wrote:I'm sorry, this isn't even close to being true.

For gods sakes man, even UAB couldn't get rid of their program and they TRIED. The costs are under control, we've shown we can win 7 games with a HC sleep waking through the job, and basketball has shown we can win in a major sport. Football will be here for the next fifty years and I'll bet you any amount you want on it.

You're still the eternal optimist. I think the boat has sailed and we're left standing at the dock. I hope you are right.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:13 pm

H-E-B Mustang wrote:
leopold wrote:I'm sorry, this isn't even close to being true.

You're still the eternal optimist. I think the boat has sailed and we're left standing at the dock. I hope you are right.

Eternal optimist, you are being kind.

You say we have costs under control in FB?, that's news to me.

I agree in principle with what SMT said. Just curious, if we get shut out of the P5 party, which I'm sure SMT is alluding to, what type of big donor support do you think the FB program will continue to receive?, what type of fan support?

Only games that draw over 20k are early in the season old SWC foe games when optimism is still high. Take that away and what are you left with?
SoCal_Pony

Postby leopold » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:24 pm

The same support we received post DP, post SWC, post 0-12 under Phil Bennett, post getting passed over by a conference for the umpteemth time, and so on. Jesus, y'all act we've never possibly lost a coach before, or had some uncertainty about our future. The football team isn't going anywhere for chrissakes.
And if that's news to you it's not to Dennis Foster, an English professor who isn't exactly a football apologist. He's said on multiple occasions that the costs are 'manageable', even writing a piece in the Daily Campus on it. We don't make any money on football, that's for damn sure, but it isn't bleeding us dry either - yet another win by Turner, to be honest.
It's going to be okay, and it's going to be okay largely because of Turners work.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:59 pm

Go back to your drinking, Cheers
SoCal_Pony

Postby leopold » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Happily!

But I'm still right, big guy.