PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Maybe, just maybe

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Maybe, just maybe

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:00 pm

This is the thing that will get SMU off its butt and do something.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Maybe, just maybe

Postby sbsmith » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Will this get the fans into Ford to support the next coach?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:24 pm

sbsmith wrote:Will this get the fans into Ford to support the next coach?

No, games like the Memphis game kill the buzz. Consistent winning and better, recognizable opponents, are what is required to get any football fan beyond the 1500 to come to the games.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby sbsmith » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:32 pm

PK wrote:No, games like the Memphis game kill the buzz. Consistent winning and better, recognizable opponents, are what is required to get any football fan beyond the 1500 to come to the games.

Sounds like we'll be doing this again in a few years with the next coach.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:41 pm

I think my favorite thing to come out of the last few games is SMT's term of choice for describing a Memphis type loss
RGV Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 pm

My hope is that maybe the powers that be will realize that they have a good coach who has the chance to turn things around and that they will take what is going on seriously. Maybe I am dreaming.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 am

Take it seriously like pay him among the top five non P-5 coaches? Oops, already doing that.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:39 am

Larry Brown, the highest paid Assistant in College Basketball and huge increase in basketball staffing -another example of SMU alumni supporting the athletic program at the highest levels of G5-which is our reality. That's why I'm not critical toward these small handful of benefactors who have funded the program beyond what ostensibly makes much sense-I do hope they can find a way to make it work. But I also hope you guys realize these gifts are actually seen as seed money to stimulate other sources of revenue like ticket sales-it worked perfectly in Basketball-it has not stimulated other revenue in football-that's how the average SMU fan can show their appreciation by shouldering some of the burden to make this make sense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:57 am

Moody isn't full because our 200-or-so die-hard basketball fans brought all their friends to games.
SMUer

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:00 am

Stallion is absolutely correct. The big donations to bring in Brown and upgrade basketball were seen as priming the pump to get us to a self funding program.
It has worked so far in basketball ..... We as fans have to buy season tickets, contribute to the Mustang Club and take the burden off the 10 or so mega donors. They will get funding fatigue if they see they are alone. Believe me, these people have everybody coming to them for money. They want it to be impactful and leveraged into better outcomes.

I'm preaching to the choir in this forum. But let's remind fans when we can how important it is to look beyond the year to year results and be willing to give our big donors some relief.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Return to Football