PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Channel 5 KXAS says he's Accepted Offer From Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Channel 5 KXAS says he's Accepted Offer From Baylor

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:55 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Arkpony wrote:He is making a mistake going to Baylor.

Big pay bump, better conference, better fanbase, better facilities so why exactly is he making a mistake by going to Baylor?

Well, I guess that's all we should look at! Case closed!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:55 pm

You mean other than overseeing the most notorious college program in America?

In all seriousness this dude is just a few weeks free of getting war crimed by Memphis 51-7 on Homecoming. Not a bad month if you can parlay a 7-16 record into $25M. I need his agent.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:07 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:You mean other than overseeing the most notorious college program in America?

In all seriousness this dude is just a few weeks free of getting war crimed by Memphis 51-7 on Homecoming. Not a bad month if you can parlay a 7-16 record into $25M. I need his agent.
a

Me too!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Love it how we are trashing Coach Morris.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Love it how we are trashing Coach Morris.

I'm not trashing him at all. He got annihilated at home just a few weeks ago and will likely end his SMU coaching career with the grand total of four home wins in two seasons. To go from that to making $5M/year (Top 10 coaching money) is unbelievable. Kudos to him and his agent.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:12 pm

Love it how Chad leaks that he's "torn" because of facilities and attendance. At least June had a bowl win or two plus wins over tcu and the defending conf champ when he went gangsta on attendance
RGV Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:14 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:

I'm not trashing him at all. He got annihilated at home just a few weeks ago and will likely end his SMU coaching career with the grand total of four home wins in two seasons. To go from that to making $5M/year (Top 10 coaching money) is unbelievable. Kudos to him and his agent.

I think the Baylor people know what June left him. He will ramp up Baylor's recruiting if he decides to take the job.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:16 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Big pay bump, better conference, better fanbase, better facilities so why exactly is he making a mistake by going to Baylor?

because it's baylor- you know- the rape center of the southwest. bible study hypocrites. Plus I don't believe that the last shoe has dropped on their situation. They could end up with some severe sanctions.
obviously he is willing to sell his soul for a few more dollars instead of waiting for a quality situation to arise in the future.
redpony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:17 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:

I think the Baylor people know what June left him. He will ramp up Baylor's recruiting if he decides to take the job.

I have a feeling he's not going to have an easy time recruiting. Not only is Baylors name tainted, he's going to have an administration heavily watching each and every player recruited.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:22 pm

redpony wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

because it's baylor- you know- the rape center of the southwest. bible study hypocrites. Plus I don't believe that the last shoe has dropped on their situation. They could end up with some severe sanctions.
obviously he is willing to sell his soul for a few more dollars instead of waiting for a quality situation to arise in the future.

I think you are thinking that being at SMU is better than being at Baylor now and it is not. I am sure he has out in his contract in case of sanctions. And even with sanctions he will still get more support there than if he was at SMU. I know it is a hard really for some SMU elitists (not saying you are one one them) to deal with.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby leopold » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:30 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Arkpony wrote:He is making a mistake going to Baylor.

Because just because Art Briles had some success there using damaged-goods players doesn't mean it's still not a career killer job.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Arkpony wrote:
Well, I guess that's all we should look at! Case closed!

You can look at other things but the only real con seems to be potential sanctions (which was likely addressed in the contract).
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:03 pm

I know it didn't work out so well for Chad when he took over at Art Briles in HS. Is there any animosity between the two? Perhaps Chad had added incentive to succeed this time at Art's old school? Perhaps I'm reaching.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Guys we need to wrap our head around this:
1. We all thought Chad was here until he had real success. Not 7-16 get blown out multiple time success.
2. But we didn't factor in desperation U down the road trying to keep the training wheels on the tricycle of a program they have down there.
3. So they are money whipping Chad to come right the ship, save the season ticket sales, and try mighty to make the whole thing go away. Make this thing a very expensive bump in the road because if we can get clean, wholesome, successful football back on the front page all the other stuff goes away.
4. Money talks, B.S walks. Chad is getting his salary and his key assistants salary doubled. He never has to work again.
5. All the NCAA sanction stuff, contacts can handle that. If BU gets X sanction his Y salary goes up by Z Or gets extended, or the buy out goes down.

So he hit the lottery. Doesn't have to actually kill it ( how do you think Willie Taggert feels at USF?), but still gets the long term high dollar payday to right the ship at BU.

Chad will retire a wealthy man but his shot at wealth and glory are gone. BU is not Penn State. Texas is Penn State ( i.e. State U with huge alumni backing and resources). Therefore, the baggage, location, and now inability to recruit problem athletes ( we all know Briles knew what he was getting - but they could win) will put BU back in the natural pecking order. Behind UT, A&M, OU, OSU ect.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:12 pm

The man has to do what is best for his family and the assistants and their families. Personally, I wouldn't want to walk into the Baylor situation if I were him, but I'm not sure that I would have taken the SMU job when he came here either.

Quite simply, if we want to keep the big conference schools from poaching our coaches we have to pay them the same kind of money. Is Chad worth what Baylor will pay? Don't know. I know that the talent level on this team is incomparable to what he inherited. Can we spend Baylor and UT dollars? It's up to us.

One thing about former high school coaches: They are used to being big fish in little ponds. No SMU head coach is ever going to be the center of attention in this town given the media attention that chews up the airwaves with pro sports. In Waco, Chad will be the center of attention from day one.
Topper
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football