PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Channel 5 KXAS says he's Accepted Offer From Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Channel 5 KXAS says he's Accepted Offer From Baylor

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:13 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:$1.5M - Use the $3.2M of Baylor buyout money to surround him with an outstanding offensive staff.

You really want to pay Van Malone almost twice as much as Tulsa is paying Philip Montgomery?
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:19 pm

jimhagle wrote:Got to find a coach who will STAY here-period.

No one came after Cavan or Bennett. Maybe we should re-hire them.

Isn't it better to deal with the problems brought on by success than by failure? This isn't the end of the world....we will lose some recruits but based on what is leaking out on the players side it sounds like they aren't too thrilled with the way CM is handling this either. I'm confident that Hart will make a great hire.

And we'll know it's a good hire when we win and other programs want the guy in a couple of years.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Do I want to? No. But he knows what Morris was making at roughly $2.2M. We might be able to get by with paying him $1M with a heavily incentive laden deal. I'm encouraged by the improvement of the defense and Malone is a dynamic recruiter. With the money we're getting from Baylor on Chad's buyout we could go out and get a killer offensive staff to surround him.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Tulsa and UH had to build their programs while being repeatedly raided for Coaches-because they were successful. TCU lost their messiah but had an assistant waiting in the wings. A major regret is that Morris came to SMU without a bigger name OC (like Jeff Scott) who could have slid into this job. Craddock came with no Coaching experience and its too early for him to be our Patterson
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Too big of a risk at a pivotal time. Need someone that either has experience as a HC or is a very hot up and coming coordinator.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:28 pm

The folks that run Tulsa are the real miracle workers. They have hired some wonderful basketball and football coaches who succeeded there and went on to big success at bigger schools.
All in a tiny market whose few D1 recruits go to OU or OSU. I'm really impressed with those guys.

Finally we have a coach someone wants..... This means we have been successful . Get used to life as a G5 school. You hear talk about inequality in college sports .... This is it! A bottom feeder P5 program with tons of baggage has ample funding to money whip any G5 coach they want.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:29 pm

if this is true and confirmed, why even let him coach this Saturday?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Because it's not true and confirmed but it will be Sunday morning.

I'm sure HCCM hates this awkward leaving period but 4+ million per year for 6-8 years will smooth things over.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:37 pm

Pony81 wrote:Finally we have a coach someone wants..... This means we have been successful . Get used to life as a G5 school. You hear talk about inequality in college sports .... This is it! A bottom feeder P5 program with tons of baggage has ample funding to money whip any G5 coach they want.

Agree it's nice to finally have a coach someone wants after all of these years, but sure wish the successful part was true. Always said I would be happy to have a coach leave for this very reason, but would have at least expected a winning season out of the deal! On to the next one...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:38 pm

Chandler Morris gonna throw a serious monkey wrench in the QB depth chart at Midway next year.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:43 pm

RI Stang wrote:
Pony81 wrote:Finally we have a coach someone wants..... This means we have been successful . Get used to life as a G5 school. You hear talk about inequality in college sports .... This is it! A bottom feeder P5 program with tons of baggage has ample funding to money whip any G5 coach they want.

Agree it's nice to finally have a coach someone wants after all of these years, but sure wish the successful part was true. Always said I would be happy to have a coach leave for this very reason, but would have at least expected a winning season out of the deal! On to the next one...

Yes one would think one winning season devoid of blowout Homecoming loses would be a required credential before getting a big money P5 job. I hope Chad got a iron clad contract he can retire on because it's going to be a hundred miles of bad road at BU.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:44 pm

External sources are trying to put pressure on this situation.

Didn't he tell the players yesterday that he was saying?

Didn't Baylor say they respect other universities and don't hold conversations until after the season ends?

Chad Morris lying to his players and assistants runs contrary to everything I knew about him before. If this report turns out to be true, I will be really disappointed in him. Until then I am going to assume it is false.
JasonB

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:45 pm

I vote NO on Van being the next head coach. Nice guy, did a good job this year, but we need a home-run. Pretty sure the next guy will want his own DC, so that's a non-issue as well. Turner and Hart need to act relatively quick. The buy-out money from Rape U. should help facilitate the next hire.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:49 pm

I'd love to get Charlie Strong. Probably dreaming though.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:53 pm

Pony81 wrote:I'd love to get Charlie Strong. Probably dreaming though.

I'd love to get anybody that will stay for 5 years and be productive not whining about facilities.

My oldest son that graduated from UCF said that our schools UCF SMU are stepping stones and that will never change so deal with it.

I wish Chad well, don't think you're taking the fu%=en helicopter with you though.
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football