PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wouldn't Integrity dictate this?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Wouldn't Integrity dictate this?

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:52 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:It's hard to believe you guys are turning on Chad for doing what almost every single one of you would do given the same dynamics.

Let say we hire Philip Montgomery away from Tulsa are you going to give a rats arse when and how Coach Montgomery tells his players that he is leaving for twice the salary, better facilities, better city?

Are you going to reject players he recruited at Tulsa when they change their mind and follow him to SMU?

Are you going to whine that Coach Montgomery is going back on his word and didn't finish his job at Tulsa?

Ha Ha...yeah sure!

Some of you guys live in a fantasy land bubble of how coaches at almost every program left behind another program to arrive where they are today.

Grow up and get a grip on reality.

Reminds me of the Hawaii boards when we hired June.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:57 pm

SMUer wrote:How about you love coaching football, in a recruitment Valhalla to boot? Who plays/coaches exclusively for the fan support?!? Who honestly feels entitled to have full stadiums of fans watching you trip and bumble your way to a 2-10 record? Jesus, be thankful you still have 12K watch some of the crap we've seen trotted out over recent seasons.

Going to be hard to keep a good coach if we demand perfection before showing up to fill a tiny stadium.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:26 pm

3,000 SMU fans and 200 students "drizzlin' the Field" after huge upset of UH will always be the most telling moment in the Chad Morris era
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:12 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMUer wrote:How about you love coaching football, in a recruitment Valhalla to boot? Who plays/coaches exclusively for the fan support?!? Who honestly feels entitled to have full stadiums of fans watching you trip and bumble your way to a 2-10 record? Jesus, be thankful you still have 12K watch some of the crap we've seen trotted out over recent seasons.

Going to be hard to keep a good coach if we demand perfection before showing up to fill a tiny stadium.

Perfection? How about tacklers that don't bounce off their opponent? How about something that resembles a coached special teams unit? How about not out-right quitting in the 1st-Quarter of your first conference game? Or being somewhat competitive against your cross-town rival in your first home game of any sort of interest? Or not looking second-tier against your homecoming opponent? Truthfully, most games I go in hoping to not to be embarrassed for being an SMU fan, for example on Saturday vs. Navy. After the James Madison disaster, I don't take any victory for granted. Yay! Who wouldn't want to be a tshirt SMU fan, Chad?!? You really delivered us, buddy!
SMUer

Postby sbsmith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:27 pm

SMUer wrote:Perfection? How about tacklers that don't bounce off their opponent? How about something that resembles a coached special teams unit? How about not out-right quitting in the 1st-Quarter of your first conference game? Or being somewhat competitive against your cross-town rival in your first home game of any sort of interest? Or not looking second-tier against your homecoming opponent? Truthfully, most games I go in hoping to not to be embarrassed for being an SMU fan, for example on Saturday vs. Navy. After the James Madison disaster, I don't take any victory for granted. Yay! Who wouldn't want to be a tshirt SMU fan, Chad?!? You really delivered us, buddy!

So the team doesn't have to be perfect just never lose and never make any mistakes?

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMUer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:35 pm

Playing competent, maybe even exciting football is step one to building your fan-base. You can b*tch about attendance once you are doing that on a regular basis.
SMUer

Postby 3rdGenPony » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:47 pm

To be clear, I really like Chad Morris as our coach and the progress/direction of this team. If he leaves for big money and a better opportunity, I understand. If he leaves for Baylor, I will be scratching my head. No one has proven you can win at Baylor in the Big12 without allowing players of questionable or no character into the program. Beating Purdue and UH for players in recruiting at SMU is one thing, but beating UT, OU, etc. at Baylor in recruiting without selling your soul is another. And then there are the looming ramifications of the last regime's mess. On top of that, based on the 60 Minutes piece, it does not appear they have cleaned out the administration, much less the coaching staff, that let all the sexual assaults go unpunished the last time around. The current administration and BOR let the coaching staff, the head of security interviewed by 60 Minutes and God knows who else keep their jobs this year. Those same people are going to hire Morris and try to take a moral high ground...color me sceptical, at best.

I hope Coach Morris stays and sees the SMU job through. If he goes on to greener pastures and can make more money, I will still be a fan of what he did at SMU. However, if he leaves for Baylor now, I will question his character for going to work for the people running that school right now, and all the good intentions and #notonmycampus campaign from last Saturday will ring hollow. I sincerely hope he stays or takes any other job than the one at Baylor.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:10 am

With all due respect to Arkpony and some others who have commented in this thread, isn't it possible this entire business was handled in a decent and gentlemanly way? Consider.

1. A Baylor rep contacts CH or his agent and asks if he would be interested in moving to Waco.

2. CM replies. "Yes, provided the following conditions are met."

3. After some back and forth an agreement is reached including that disclosure will be made after the last regular season game in 2016.

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with the above.

4. Who leaked the information and whether or not that disclosure was handled with integrity is another matter. It is not necessarily CN's fault.

We are now waiting for Sunday or Monday by which time CM evidently promised an announcement.

If CM leaves and takes a lot of the recruiting class - or even if there is just another restart to SMU's recruiting progress - the events are an unfortunate continuation of the heavy blows to SMU sports that started with the Frazier affair and the bad call in the NCAA's and departure of LB.

I understand that there is some limit to the number of things the program can suffer and continue in Division I.

But if CM is hired away by Baylor, I don't think it makes him a bad guy or in and of it self it does not make the Baylor people jerks. I Do agree that Dallas is a neater place to be than Waco. I DSON'T think the attitude of some of the Baylor fans about the Bible, as compared with that of some commentators on ponyfans is really relevant. It took SMU how long to begin to recommit to big time sports after the end of Football I? The Baylor people may have been wearing blinders so far as some of their players were concerned and it may be they will suffer more from the Feds before it is all over but they do seem to want to play on the top level.

I'm afraid the chances of Baylor getting back remain better than ours.

I hope the next SMU football coach achieves a break even record before he checks out.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:30 am

The dude is bailing out after barely getting started, and going to
The Cess Pool down the highway that has
less than a handful of commitments.
He is clearly planning on hitting up his SMU
recruiting list.

Any other year and any other rival and this would be no big deal, but this has this has could
have disastrous consequences.

He has not come close to doing what he set out to do.

And for what appears to be the Almighty buck.
We all knew he would leave.

And his Anti Domestic violence stance has all the appearances of a sham...

All for greed.

So yeah, I am pissed.
Last edited by PonyKris89 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:35 am

PonyKris89 wrote:The dude is bailing out after barely gettingredients started, and going to
recruiting list.

Any other year and any other rival and this would be no big deal, but this has this has the recipe for disaster

If Baylor is a cess pool and he is leaving SMU for Baylor what does that make SMU? A bigger cess pool?
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyKris89 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:39 am

Rebel10 wrote:
PonyKris89 wrote:The dude is bailing out after barely gettingredients started, and going to
recruiting list.

Any other year and any other rival and this would be no big deal, but this has this has the recipe for disaster

If Baylor is a cess pool and he is leaving for Baylor what does that make SMU? A bigger cess pool?

Baylor and Chad suck up.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:43 am

:lol:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Football