PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I wonder if Ben Hicks and Courtland Sutton will follow HCCM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I wonder if Ben Hicks and Courtland Sutton will follow H

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Cortland Sutton,

I completely understand if you would like to go to the NFL after this season to make some $. You deserve it. Please stay at SMU so that you can increase your chances of being drafted in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Round. Unfortunately if you decide to go to the NFL there is a good chance that you don't get drafted in the first three rounds. Your QB next season should definitely be a step up. Think of how much your stock could increase by playing with a better QB and better overall SMU Team. Please come back to SMU next year.

If he comes back and gets hurt his draft stock goes down the drain. If we have a new coach and he runs a different system that he would not get as many passes or they have a mediocre wr coach that does not help him get better his draft stock will go down the be lower.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Cortland Sutton,

I completely understand if you would like to go to the NFL after this season to make some $. You deserve it. Please stay at SMU so that you can increase your chances of being drafted in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Round. Unfortunately if you decide to go to the NFL there is a good chance that you don't get drafted in the first three rounds. Your QB next season should definitely be a step up. Think of how much your stock could increase by playing with a better QB and better overall SMU Team. Please come back to SMU next year.

If he come back and gets hurt his draft stock goes down the drain. If we have a new coach and he runs a different system that he would not get as many passes or they have a mediocre wr coach that does not help him get better his draft stock will go down the be lower.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:11 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
mrydel wrote:It is only the new commits that worry me. He is late in the season and most are already committed somewhere. He could take our whole class and we could end up with zero and starting from scratch with no coach. But other than that all would be ok.

Not all the new class is Big 12 caliber but he could get the players that are Big 12 caliber. Who knows if we have to get a new coach he may not want any of the players that are committed in this class.

I am well aware of the caliber of our class. I also am aware it is almost December and signing is early February. You either go with leftovers or take some kids in whom you already have some faith as players. I seriously doubt other top recruits are going to drop their commitments elsewhere and rush to Baylor with the air of uncertainty. Our commits are good enough to provide depth for Baylor as they get recruited over.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Stallion wrote:Hey Wild Mustang

Hicks doesn't deserve that kind of crap as he is the major reason for SMU having a shot at a Bowl Game. He has improved as much as any player on the team with a little experience. He hasn't showed any disloyalty or said anything about transferring. He doesn't deserve that kind of cheap shot

+1
Charleston Pony

Postby Digetydog » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:08 am

Charleston Pony wrote:

Hicks doesn't deserve that kind of crap as he is the major reason for SMU having a shot at a Bowl Game. He has improved as much as any player on the team with a little experience. He hasn't showed any disloyalty or said anything about transferring. He doesn't deserve that kind of cheap shot

+1

+1000

He has easily improved more than anyone during the season.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:17 am

Wild Mustang wrote:Coach Morris,

If you do take the Baylor Job please take your prize recruit Ben Hicks with you. I thought that you were committed to building the SMU Football Program. Two years is not a commitment. Why you would want to go and coach at Baylor is beyond me. Yes you can double your salary, but why would you want the dumpster fire, PR nightmare, and future NCAA sanctions. Why Baylor when you could seriously have almost any above average coaching job?

Ben Hicks,

Your opportunity as a starting SMU QB is over. The only coach that believed in you is gone. Please transfer to Baylor, go home to Waco. Mom and Dad miss you. SMU is more than ready for an upgrade at QB and we have a stable full of starter quality QBs on the roster next season.

Cortland Sutton,

What is this crap, the insane ramblings of Footballdad's drunk cousin who is angry because his sister ditched him at the altar? How the hell do we find people like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby ebrooks11 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:23 am

Digetydog wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

+1

+1000

He has easily improved more than anyone during the season.

+ infinity and beyond.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Wild Mustang » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:44 am

Respectfully fellow PonyFans... Did you actually watch the games this season? To say that Ben Hicks improved is a reach. I am not going to rattle off stats, anyone can go and look at box scores. You could look at almost any game this season. Hicks was horrible and he is the reason we lost many games this season. See Baylor, Temple, Memphis, South Florida. Look at the South Florida game. We had more than enough chances on offense to score points and win the game. Ben Hicks misses open receivers, under throws receivers, over throws receivers, throws into double coverage, and oh yeah, that's right he throws interceptions. A lot of interceptions. He gives away games. The reason we were in any of the games that we were in was because of our defense. I understand that Ben Hicks is more of a pocket passer, but the fact that he cannot run every once in a while to keep the defense honest helps the opposing defense. There were way too many times this season that I saw Ben Hicks lose the game for us. I understand that Hicks is young, but we all know the QB is an important position and you either have it or you don't. Hicks has shown us over and over again this year, he doesn't. I recognize that we were slim at the QB position due to Davis's injury, so we did not have much choice other than to play Hicks. Given the QBs that are on the roster for next season there are very few coaches if any that would give Hicks the starting job. Let Hicks transfer out. Hicks has not earned the right to be our QB next season.

Imagine if you can fellow PonyFans...
Having a QB that can win games for us
Having a QB who is a true leader
Having a QB who does not consistently throw into double coverage
Having a QB who does not miss wide open receivers
Having a QB who can run and pick up a few yards when things break down

Be honest with yourself. This QB is not Ben Hicks. Maybe Peavy, or the QB Transfer from Wisconsin. One can only hope.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:48 am

Darrel Colbert, is that you?
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:06 am

The galling irony of this whole situation is that the Baylor scandal may harm our program in the short term as much as theirs.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:46 am

Topper wrote:The galling irony of this whole situation is that the Baylor scandal may harm our program in the short term as much as theirs.

I can see why. If SMU loses it's coach to what some people on this board are calling an arm pit which is Baylor that would make SMU a bigger arm pit.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smupony94 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:03 pm

I still remember my SMU professor explaining how New Orleans was literally the butthole of America because of the Mississippi River
smupony94

Postby Digetydog » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:45 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Respectfully fellow PonyFans... Did you actually watch the games this season? To say that Ben Hicks improved is a reach. I am not going to rattle off stats, anyone can go and look at box scores. You could look at almost any game this season. Hicks was horrible and he is the reason we lost many games this season. See Baylor, Temple, Memphis, South Florida. Look at the South Florida game. We had more than enough chances on offense to score points and win the game. Ben Hicks misses open receivers, under throws receivers, over throws receivers, throws into double coverage, and oh yeah, that's right he throws interceptions. A lot of interceptions. He gives away games. The reason we were in any of the games that we were in was because of our defense. I understand that Ben Hicks is more of a pocket passer, but the fact that he cannot run every once in a while to keep the defense honest helps the opposing defense. There were way too many times this season that I saw Ben Hicks lose the game for us. I understand that Hicks is young, but we all know the QB is an important position and you either have it or you don't. Hicks has shown us over and over again this year, he doesn't. I recognize that we were slim at the QB position due to Davis's injury, so we did not have much choice other than to play Hicks. Given the QBs that are on the roster for next season there are very few coaches if any that would give Hicks the starting job. Let Hicks transfer out. Hicks has not earned the right to be our QB next season.

Imagine if you can fellow PonyFans...
Having a QB that can win games for us
Having a QB who is a true leader
Having a QB who does not consistently throw into double coverage
Having a QB who does not miss wide open receivers
Having a QB who can run and pick up a few yards when things break down

Be honest with yourself. This QB is not Ben Hicks. Maybe Peavy, or the QB Transfer from Wisconsin. One can only hope.

Did Hicks knock up your wife while you were serving your community service?

Your obsession with him is pathetic.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:46 pm

smupony94 wrote:I still remember my SMU professor explaining how New Orleans was literally the butthole of America because of the Mississippi River

Would that make Mississippi the Taint?
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mestengo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Plus they have rats in the restaurants too
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football