PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I wonder if Ben Hicks and Courtland Sutton will follow HCCM

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I wonder if Ben Hicks and Courtland Sutton will follow HCCM

Postby Texasscout96 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:23 am

Just a thought I had today.

I wonder how bad this is going to get...
SMU Grad 1996 - Worked in SMU athletic recruiting office under Forrest Gregg and Bill Weidner from 1992-1997.
Texasscout96
Junior Varsity

Re: I wonder if Ben Hicks and Courtland Sutton will follow H

Postby mavsrage311 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:28 am

The only decision Courtland has is whether to enter the NFL draft or not. 0% chance Courtland wastes a year to play at Baylor. Not going to happen. Ben could transfer, but I'm not sure Chad would even pursue him.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:03 am

I think Peavy may start over Hicks next year anyway imo. I think if Davis could grad transfer he would be a good one year QB for Morris to get Baylor rolling.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:41 am

Hicks, Sutton and Peavy have already redshirted. Cannot imagine them leaving and giving up another year. Same for anyone who has redshirted. It is the new recruits committed where the main exposure lies.

As stated, it could help Sutton decide to leave depending on who we get as a replacement.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Digetydog » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:47 am

Texasscout96 wrote:Just a thought I had today.

If Hicks leaves, it will be because Peavy beat him out and he wants an opportunity to play.

But, unless he really wants to go home to Waco, I don't see him giving up a year of eligibility just to follow Morris.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:11 am

Texasscout96 wrote:Just a thought I had today.

It won't be bad at all regarding players already on the roster.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Donnell88 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:14 pm

mrydel wrote:Hicks, Sutton and Peavy have already redshirted. Cannot imagine them leaving and giving up another year. Same for anyone who has redshirted. It is the new recruits committed where the main exposure lies.

As stated, it could help Sutton decide to leave depending on who we get as a replacement.

Has anyone else noticed that Baylor has only two commits for their 2017 Recruiting Class. If
Coach Morris goes to Waco, how many of his recruits will he persuade to go with him?
Donnell88
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Courtland will he going pro
smupony94

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Donnell88 wrote:
mrydel wrote:Hicks, Sutton and Peavy have already redshirted. Cannot imagine them leaving and giving up another year. Same for anyone who has redshirted. It is the new recruits committed where the main exposure lies.

Has anyone else noticed that Baylor has only two commits for their 2017 Recruiting Class. If
Coach Morris goes to Waco, how many of his recruits will he persuade to go with him?

With his Texas high school connections a lot imo.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ebrooks11 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:21 pm

If Chad really told them he was staying and then leaves I would bet there won't be a lot of players following him.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:25 pm

i guess the question is how many of our players could play in the Big 12? Who would he even want to follow him is the question. Now I would be concerned about a few of the incoming recruits that are currently committed to SMU.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:47 pm

It is only the new commits that worry me. He is late in the season and most are already committed somewhere. He could take our whole class and we could end up with zero and starting from scratch with no coach. But other than that all would be ok.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Wild Mustang » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:41 pm

Coach Morris,

If you do take the Baylor Job please take your prize recruit Ben Hicks with you. I thought that you were committed to building the SMU Football Program. Two years is not a commitment. Why you would want to go and coach at Baylor is beyond me. Yes you can double your salary, but why would you want the dumpster fire, PR nightmare, and future NCAA sanctions. Why Baylor when you could seriously have almost any above average coaching job?

Ben Hicks,

Your opportunity as a starting SMU QB is over. The only coach that believed in you is gone. Please transfer to Baylor, go home to Waco. Mom and Dad miss you. SMU is more than ready for an upgrade at QB and we have a stable full of starter quality QBs on the roster next season.

Cortland Sutton,

I completely understand if you would like to go to the NFL after this season to make some $. You deserve it. Please stay at SMU so that you can increase your chances of being drafted in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Round. Unfortunately if you decide to go to the NFL there is a good chance that you don't get drafted in the first three rounds. Your QB next season should definitely be a step up. Think of how much your stock could increase by playing with a better QB and better overall SMU Team. Please come back to SMU next year.
Last edited by Wild Mustang on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:49 pm

mrydel wrote:It is only the new commits that worry me. He is late in the season and most are already committed somewhere. He could take our whole class and we could end up with zero and starting from scratch with no coach. But other than that all would be ok.

Not all the new class is Big 12 caliber but he could get the players that are Big 12 caliber. Who knows if we have to get a new coach he may not want any of the players that are committed in this class.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Hey Wild Mustang

Hicks doesn't deserve that kind of crap as he is the major reason for SMU having a shot at a Bowl Game. He has improved as much as any player on the team with a little experience. He hasn't showed any disloyalty or said anything about transferring. He doesn't deserve that kind of cheap shot
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Next

Return to Football