PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hey Chad Read Your TexAgs.com

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hey Chad Read Your TexAgs.com

Postby Stallion » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:34 pm

They think you'd be a fool for taking Baylor job-basically ruining your chance at Texas A&M

https://texags.com/forums/6/topics/2812913/1
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Hey Chad Read Your TexAgs.com

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Aggies aren't too smart but the ones posting in that thread sure are.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Aggies have not liked Baylor since Ken Starr tried to block them from going to the SEC. I know everyone that hates Baylor wants them to hire a Mickey Mouse coach but that may not happen.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Nacho » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Has been a lot longer than that.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Perhaps he hasn't heard of this little incident

(link no longer available)

Baylor vs. Texas A&M: Remembering a 1926 tragedy
Web Posted: 09/29/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mark Wangrin
Express-News Staff Writer

WACO — Eighty-five miles down the Brazos River from here, in a college town where many hate Texas or Texas Tech with every ounce of their being, Baylor University suddenly is relevant again.

The Bears' 35-34 overtime victory over Texas A&M at Floyd Casey Stadium last season, in which a team that hadn't defeated the Aggies in 18 years jumped from speed bump to mountain, has Aggies' emotions normally reserved for Longhorns or Red Raiders boiling over.

They are angry with Baylor in College Station, but not as angry as they were in 1926.

Not as angry as when one of their own was beaten to death in full view of the crowd at halftime of a game against the Bears.

Not angry enough to commandeer a howitzer to shell the Baylor campus. Not angry enough to sever all athletic competition between the Southwest Conference schools for four years.

What happened the afternoon of Oct. 30, 1926, at The Cotton Palace in Waco is an event disputed in fact and wrapped in legend.

This much is certain: Lt. Charles Milo Sessums of Dallas, a senior in the Corps of Cadets, died at 9 a.m. Halloween morning at Providence Sanitarium in Waco. The cause of death was listed as a blood clot stemming from a fracture at the base of his skull, the result of being severely beaten at halftime of Baylor's 20-9 victory over A&M the previous afternoon.

From here, paths to the truth diverge. Culled from newspaper articles, letters, statements and eyewitness accounts; from sources at research libraries at Texas A&M and Baylor and Baylor's alumni magazine, this is what likely unfolded:

The predominant Baylor version is that a Ford — described as a "stunt" car and flatbed truck in different accounts — was paraded at halftime. Six women, carrying signs with the scores of big Baylor victories over SWC rivals, passed in front of the A&M cheering section.

Aggies accounts contend that the cadets thought the women were men in drag, and that the appearance of the car violated an agreement between spirit groups that a "bucking" Ford, which was used in a stunt at the 1924 game and nearly ran over some Aggies players, not be used. Baylor's yell leader, Frank Wood, denied such an agreement existed.

A statement later released by a committee of 10 A&M seniors, while conceding it was not the same Ford, said "it was just as obnoxious and insulting."

Three cadets rushed the car to seize control of it, knocking Louise Normand off the back.

"Then almost the entire Baylor student body and most of the Aggie contingent stormed simultaneously onto the field and all Hades broke loose," recalled former San Antonian A.T. Moses, then a Baylor freshman, to The Baylor Line alumni magazine in 1985.

"Precisely what happened next, I could not tell, nor could anyone else, for in a moment, there was a swarming crowd of hundreds in a melee," Esther Didsun of Houston told the Express-News in an eyewitness account published Nov. 2, 1926.

M.M. "Barney" Hale led a wave of Baylor freshmen players, sitting nearby, toward the vehicle.

"These were A&M students, had their uniforms on," Hale told The Baylor Line in January 2005, seven months before he passed away in Brownsville at 100. "And we started picking them up and throwing them over the fence."

A&M's senior statement said the assault was the result of a misunderstanding.

"We apologize to the ladies of Baylor for this incident, because one of our traditions is that no A. and M. man has ever willingly or knowingly harmed a woman," it read.

When that excerpt appeared in The Lariat, the Baylor school paper, it read, "no cadet had ever willingly laid hands on a woman."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thirty yards behind the melee, someone struck Sessums' fatal blow. The Aggies seniors' statement contended that 1,500 Baylor supporters were armed with clubs, stick and iron rods. Another account suggested that the attack was premeditated because Baylor had two trunks filled with sawed-off two-by-fours.

Hale denied those charges, saying only football equipment was in the trunks. The likely weapon, the Bears said, was part of the fence or a broken chair.

As the public address announcer detailed the riot, the Aggies' band struck up the opening chords of "The Star Spangled Banner."

The cadets sprang to attention — some later claimed Baylor supporters continued to beat them as they stood — and the riot was quelled.

Head Aggie Yell Leader J.D. Langford came over to his Baylor counterparts to apologize and Corps Captain P.L. Ware of the commandant's office at A&M issued a statement of contrition that read, "The college does not in any degree condone ungentlemanly conduct, and this act this afternoon was the result of three unthoughtful men from the college."

Other accounts, though, suggest some cadets weren't so conciliatory. Legend has it that some commandeered a howitzer, loaded it on a flatbed rail car and were headed to Waco to shell the Baylor campus when Texas Rangers felled trees across the tracks to stop them.

There is no known substantiation for any part of that story.

Fixing blame proved impossible. A.B. Sessums, the dead cadet's father, demanded an investigation, and Baylor president S.P. Brooks and A&M president T.O. Walton met in College Station on Nov. 4. After 10 hours of consideration, they issued a three-page statement that tried to explain what happened and expressed the regrets of both schools.

The statement set off a rebellion at Baylor. Within hours The Lariat published an extra edition decrying the statement and immediately circulated a petition calling for the ending of athletic relations between the schools. By the end of the day the petition had 500 signatures.

A&M's seniors, concerned their school was being assigned the blame, said in a statement they were "indifferent" as to whether the series should continue.

On Dec. 8, Brooks and Walton co-signed an agreement that voided all athletic contracts between the schools "that at some future time a renewal of games may be made, and the games played according to the high ideals that govern both institutions."

They would not play again until 1931, a game A&M won 33-7 in College Station.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waco and McLennan County police investigated the incident. A.B. Sessums asked Lancaster attorney Byrd White to look into his son's death, telling him he "had a man placed" as his son's assailant.

Brooks, in a letter to White, explained a local detective had full run of the campus to investigate.

"I told him frankly I thought he was on a cold trail," Brooks wrote. "He said he promptly thought I was correct."

Available records show no one was charged in Sessums' death.

On Nov. 1, 1926, 2,000 fellow cadets gathered outside the YMCA for a tribute in place of the normal yell practice. Eulogies were given, and the band played "Nearer My God To Thee." The brief ceremony closed with a solitary trumpet playing "Taps."

The next day Sessums was buried in Dallas.

A full-page tribute, entitled "In Line of Duty," was published in The Longhorn, the 1927 A&M yearbook. Beneath Sessums' photo was a poem, "At The Eleventh Hour."

"Aggie of ours, in manhood's prime,

Time leaves little but names.

But you and yours will always live

In Aggie halls of fame."

Sessums' death quickly faded from the headlines in Waco, replaced by another, more personal tragedy for Baylor. On Jan.22, 1927, a bus carrying the Bears' basketball team on a misty Saturday afternoon skidded onto railroad tracks in Round Rock. A northbound passenger train, the "Sunshine Special," rammed into the rear of the bus, telescoping it and killing 10 players.

Sessums' death has faded, too, in Aggies lore. Earlier this week, a senior Corps officer who asked not to be quoted said he was unfamiliar with the incident or the Corps' legendary plan for revenge. He referred the matter to A&M spokesperson Lane Stephenson, who said, "I've been here 40 years, and I hadn't heard about that. At A&M we're more concerned with today's service than the past, even the tragic."

The Corps of Cadets did not attend a game in force in Waco again until 1995. Then, on an overcast Oct. 22 morning, hours before the Aggies took on the Bears, they marched. Thirty companies strong paraded down Franklin Avenue and then turned left onto 32nd Street, ending at the Baylor track stadium.

When they were done, all was quiet.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Stallion wrote:They think you'd be a fool for taking Baylor job-basically ruining your chance at Texas A&M

https://texags.com/forums/6/topics/2812913/1

Actually very rational responses.
SoCal_Pony

Postby leopold » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:58 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again: he takes the Baylor job and he's stuck there for four years at least, and he's lucky to make it out of there at all. Stay with SMU and any job opening in Texas/south is yours in a year.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:58 pm

leopold wrote:he's stuck there for four years at least

with $20 million dollars in the bank....yep that would really suck!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:07 pm

He'll wish he could use that extra money to build a time machine and stay the hell out of waco.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:36 pm

When you know you are going to make +$20M anyway in 1-2 years, what's your hurry if you are chilling at $2.2-2.7M a year?!?
SMUer

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Didn't read link, but I was saying this earlier. My take:
Baylor is a rebuild at this point. Could even have sanctions coming. Sumlin might get fired in 2 years. At smu I think he will win 9+ games in years 3 & 4, making him very attractive to every school in the country looking for a new coach. At that point he just waits it out and takes the Aggie job when it becomes available. I think the chances of him turning smu into a 9+ win team by year 4 are pretty much guaranteed for him. Baylor is a huge gamble with their current issues, especially if he wants to turn them around in time to get the Aggie job should it come available.
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:01 pm

Right he can turn Baylor around but its likely 4-5 years before he is hot-shot prospect again. If he blew out his recruiting class this year he might shorten that period by a year

Stallion

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:29 pm

Chad should announce to the team in his pregame talk that he has decided to stay at SMU. Inspires the team to a win and sets himself up for a good record next year and step into TAM after they fire Sumlin in 2017.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby leopold » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:02 pm

Christ he may get a shot this year the way A&M is blowing it against LSU.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:06 pm

mrydel wrote:Chad should announce to the team in his pregame talk that he has decided to stay at SMU. Inspires the team to a win and sets himself up for a good record next year and step into TAM after they fire Sumlin in 2017.

I think i would just stand there if I were one of his recruits. Oh wait I'm thinking special teams
One Trick Pony

Next

Return to Football