PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Montgomery

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Montgomery

Postby RepublicanPNY » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:08 am

From Tulsa. Can we double his salary Monday and keep the momentum rolling?!?

He could ultimately be a better coach than Chad Morris.
Sent from my iPhone.
RepublicanPNY
Varsity

Re: Montgomery

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:09 am

If he really has nothing to do with the Baylor scandal....I wonder why Baylor isn't looking at him instead of Chad? You can keep Phil Bennett at DC, but they don't hire Montgomery now or even instead of Grobe? Makes no sense to me.

ps: yes Montgomery appears to be one of our top candidates to pursue quickly....before Houston or somebody else hires him
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BIGHORSE » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:51 am

Montgomery would be a great hire.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:44 am

checked the cougar high board and they are just a p!$$ed as we are. They mentioned a couple of names so we need to move quickly or we will be left with second, third or fourth choices.

Also, has any asked hart if baylor got permission to talk with chad or his agent? and when? I would be curious how long our AD has been aware of this.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:00 am

redpony wrote:checked the cougar high board and they are just a p!$$ed as we are. They mentioned a couple of names so we need to move quickly or we will be left with second, third or fourth choices.

Also, has any asked hart if baylor got permission to talk with chad or his agent? and when? I would be curious how long our AD has been aware of this.

He has known for a while.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:03 am

Montgomery only makes $800,000 at Tulsa. SMU could double his salary and they would still be paying him less than HCCM.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Digetydog » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:08 am

BIGHORSE wrote:Montgomery would be a great hire.

He can coach like Briles, but he is not known as a great recruiter and he won't be a great marketer of the program. There is a reason both UH and SMU passed him over two years ago.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:27 am

OK, so pay him what it takes, keep Malone and Mathis and Fry (if there's any way to keep him from following Morris) and McDaniel, let them drive the recruiting and let Malone be the salesman/marketer. It's not like Tulsa doesn't know about stealing a head coach from within the conference, and sticking it to Tulsa would reduce the feeling of getting it stuck to us.
Last edited by DallasDiehard on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:50 am

DallasDiehard wrote:OK, so pay him what it takes, keep Malone and Mathis and Fry (if there's any way to keep him from following Morris) and McDaniel, let them drive the recruiting and let Malone be the salesman/marketer. It's not like Tulsa doesn't know about stealing a head coach from within the conference, and sticking it to Tulsa would reduce the feeling of getting it stuck to us.

Montgomery is not that good of a recruiter but does have a very good strength and conditioning coach. If they could keep Malone and have him to be the recruiting coordinator and hire Montgomery's strength and conditioning coach we would be in good shape. And we could probably keep him for a while from P5 programs because he once coached at Baylor under Briles. I hope they get this done.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Return to Football