PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Van Malone Tweet

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Van Malone Tweet

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:49 pm

mustangxc wrote:For now keep planning for an NCAA tournament bid.

Okay.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusportspage » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:34 am

CalallenStang wrote:@SMUCoachMalone: Sometimes you have to forget what's gone, appreciate what remains, and look forward to what's coming next.

Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe the tweet was referring to Senior Day? It might have been worded a little better but I think that is what he was referring to.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ebrooks11 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:40 am

Maybe, but he deleted it pretty quick.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:23 am

ebrooks11 wrote:Maybe, but he deleted it pretty quick.

To be fair, people often tweet/say things related to one thing only for it to be misconstrued. If he was referring to Senior Day, someone might have pointed out the problem to him.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby No Quarter » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:23 pm

CalallenStang wrote:@SMUCoachMalone: Sometimes you have to forget what's gone, appreciate what remains, and look forward to what's coming next.

I'm still not sure what VM meant. Was he saying bye? Was he hinting he was a serious candidate to be the next HC and had a chance? Was it about Senior Day? All those interpretations and probably more are found in this thread. I am an enthusiastic fan who freely admits he knows less about sports than most on this board. I tend to hang my hat on the posts of people I think more knowledgeable and especially identified former players. In general they recognized the physical disparity between our current squad and that of higher caliber opponents and sometimes opined that our young staff would grow in to the job.

Now I'm not so sure. I am suspect that probably the CofC that will call it about VM, and whether or not CM stays, but it seems unlikely given the bad home game losses. There was a time when the adverse comment was more about the ST coach, or lack there of, but now the DC is the lightning rod with lack of second half adjustments probably second.

I still believe that the Baylor affair is not to be compared to JJ's ASU debacle. I hope he stays at SMU for several years although he will have a harder time going forward. And I want to think that BB will be okay - again based on what closer and smarter observers say - although I don't think we have a lock on that either.

Did former coach LB end up in any capacity with the Bonakers up on Long Island?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Chad Morris will have a much easier time-not harder time-in the future. He isn't recruiting off one win any more, Herman is gone at our biggest recruiting rival and we beat them this year. Piece of cake. Recruiting will continue to improve
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dooby » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:37 pm

No Quarter wrote:

I'm still not sure what VM meant. Was he saying bye? Was he hinting he was a serious candidate to be the next HC and had a chance? Was it about Senior Day? All those interpretations and probably more are found in this thread. I am an enthusiastic fan who freely admits he knows less about sports than most on this board. I tend to hang my hat on the posts of people I think more knowledgeable and especially identified former players. In general they recognized the physical disparity between our current squad and that of higher caliber opponents and sometimes opined that our young staff would grow in to the job.

Now I'm not so sure. I am suspect that probably the CofC twhat will call it about VM, and whether or not CM stays, but it seems unlikely given the bad home game losses. There was a time when the adverse comment was more about the ST coach, or lack there of, but now the DC is the lightning rod with lack of second half adjustments probably second.

I still believe that the Baylor affair is not to be compared to JJ's ASU debacle. I hope he stays at SMU for several years although he will have a harder time going forward. And I want to think that BB will be okay - again based on what closer and smarter observers say - although I don't think we have a lock on that either.

Did former coach LB end up in any capacity with the Bonakers up on Long Island?

He may have deleted the tweet when I retweeted and said I was "bewildered". Or not. Who knows.

Sometimes people tweet things that mean one thing and because of the emotional situation they are widely misunderstood. Who knows what he meant? Who knows how he thought it would be interpreted? He probably realized it was being taken to mean something he wasn't even thinking about. Or maybe it was all on purpose and somebody told him to take it down. Pretty much the entire staff has been on radio silence.

If HCCM tweeted out a picture of his kids on thanksgiving, people in Waco and Dallas and everywhere else would be dissecting it for some larger meaning.

It really isn't worth thinking about it. But I tend to think deleting such tweets only makes it worse.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:42 pm

It is unfortunate that social media is now such a big part of recruiting that coaches have to spend time tweeting and favoring / retweeting to and about 15-18 year old kids. Talk about pandering.

But this staff hits social media like nothing we've ever seen at SMU - and in fact, I'd put this staff's social media presence up against any in the country, including the likes of Bama, Clemson, OSU et al. If it works, who I am I to judge. Heck we've given so much love to the #1LB in the country (Anthony Hines) that he had our edit as his profile picture and until recently had us listed along with Florida, OSU, PSU, TAMU and other much higher-profile schools.

But with the increase in social media use, gaffes like this will happen (whether intentional or not). Look at the TAMU wr coach that took to twitter when his guy decommitted. He ended up losing more recruits over that emotional outburst! So it cuts both ways.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football