PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why is it a given? Pros vs. Cons

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why is it a given? Pros vs. Cons

Postby Mountain Mustang » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Many on the board seem to think this is a done deal but I just don't see it that way when looking at the two jobs. Especially if aTm is the ultimate dream job for HCCM. Here are some key reasons and tell me where I'm wrong:
1. Dallas vs. Waco - Unless CM keeps his family in Dallas (which i would do if i had to work in Waco) Waco is an armpit compared to Dallas.
2. Baylor's current state of affairs. Amazingly we are actually looking better than another TX school from the standpoint of the NCAA. Would CM be able to pickup the pieces quicker at Baylor vs. continuing what he's done here? If you go to Baylor, you're the attraction, certainly not Waco, their facilities and conference exposure are greater but still CM is the attraction at SMU, but the campus is gorgeous, Dallas is a great place to live, no pending possible sanctions to worry about, i'm just saying, we've got a lot going for us vs. Baylor.
3. If the ultimate goal is to go to aTm, how does Baylor help you get there? If Herman can move from Houston to UT why can't CM move from SMU to aTm? Baylor does nothing to help him in that department. He'd have to resurrect a program that has had recent success, but is in a state of disarray. It's a gamble is all I'm saying. Why take that gamble if Herman has shown that you don't have to to get to the promised land? Have a couple of great years with us and then move to that next great job whether it's aTm, or elsewhere with a stronger program than Baylor.
4. If it's money, then that's very shortsighted isn't it? He's making plenty with us to keep his family happy and could probably work an extension out of this whole deal anyways. Perhaps he could also use this to further push the IPF.
5. He goes to Baylor and he's a true job hopper...and it's not that great of a job to hop to!!!

I know a lot of these points have been raised, and maybe he does ultimately bolt, but I just don't see it making that much sense. SMU to Baylor isn't a "no brainer." I'm feeling pretty good about that now that it's down in a post. Let's go beat Navy, keep CM, go to a bowl and keep the train rolling!! The sun shines bright in my world!!!
Here's to those that wish us well and all the rest can go to hell!!!
Mountain Mustang
Varsity

Re: Why is it a given? Pros vs. Cons

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Stage one: denial
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Maybe he was drinking some of that moonshine over at Hillbilly hot dogs.

I really like that place
One Trick Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:19 pm

mrydel wrote:Stage one: denial

:lol:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Digetydog » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Pros: Baylor is desperate enough to pay him $25M + guarantee funding to give big raises to the staff. #ka-ching
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Depends on whether he plays the short or long game, I think his one main benefit in the short run is lots of $$ for mo problems. I think if he goes there, he will be more HR than a coach and will be sacrificed for another coach to take his team to the next level. If he's long goal focus, he will stay here take the turn like he claims and look for his dream TAMU job in a year or 2 since Sumlin is starting to look like Strong. Also if he goes to Baylor and takes that huge contract, not sure if AM will buy that out.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mountain Mustang » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:41 pm

That's my point. If Baylor isn't the end game, that contract (while it sounds great) could carry a lot of baggage. Hard to buy out, and he's not going to realize all of it if he goes anyways. Does anyone here think that Baylor is actually where he wants to end up? IF that's the case, then he's got awful judgment anyways :D Those calling it denial, tell me what parts of my post are incorrect.
Mountain Mustang
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Stage 2. Anger
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:49 pm

mrydel wrote:Stage 2. Anger

That's where I am. Look out today!!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Mountain Mustang wrote:That's my point. If Baylor isn't the end game, that contract (while it sounds great) could carry a lot of baggage. Hard to buy out, and he's not going to realize all of it if he goes anyways. Does anyone here think that Baylor is actually where he wants to end up? IF that's the case, then he's got awful judgment anyways :D Those calling it denial, tell me what parts of my post are incorrect.

You do realize he has a clause in the contract for an A&M buyout exception. And he's gone so it is really no use in the scenario argument.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:53 pm

mrydel wrote:Stage 2. Anger

:lol: :lol:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Mountain Mustang » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Rebel10 what's your source for reporting the certainty?
Mountain Mustang
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Mountain Mustang wrote:That's my point. If Baylor isn't the end game, that contract (while it sounds great) could carry a lot of baggage. Hard to buy out, and he's not going to realize all of it if he goes anyways. Does anyone here think that Baylor is actually where he wants to end up? IF that's the case, then he's got awful judgment anyways :D Those calling it denial, tell me what parts of my post are incorrect.

Man we can't get a legitimate rebuttal. We just get one-liners...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:09 pm

It will be really funny to see the reaction when the majority reaches the bargaining stage considering most passionate SMU fans have been bargaining for close to 30 years now. :|
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby RepublicanPNY » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Insiders know it's a done deal. Prepare yourself mentally. Stop hoping Chad stays. He is Baylor's coach after the Navy game.

He isn't the last good coach on the market. The unknown is scary but it's real.
Sent from my iPhone.
RepublicanPNY
Varsity

Next

Return to Football