PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the game

Postby ftworthmustang » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:50 am

How many rushing yards did Navy have in their loss to Air Force this year?
ftworthmustang
Varsity

Postby jpe747 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:58 am

tristatecoog wrote:Okay, so why isn't Army as successful as Navy? Air Force at home has the added benefit of altitude, but Army is pretty bad. Coaching?

For starters NAVY has a vastly superior line...oh and QB. Those are the main two things that are needed...except for running backs which NAVY seems to have also.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:01 am

Guys, as I recall, Navy is rated in the top 25. They have a very good team.
Last edited by jpe747 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby ftworthmustang » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:02 am

Also looked like Navy's team speed was better than ours.
ftworthmustang
Varsity

Postby jpe747 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:04 am

ftworthmustang wrote:Also looked like Navy's team speed was better than ours.

A+
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:20 am

looks like all 3 Academies-all running a form of the Triple option are in the Top 4 in Rushing Per Game. They just said the other-New Mexico-runs the triple option but it looks pretty variable

Yes its boring but when you don't see it-it is tough to stop

New Mexico has a kid out of Dallas named Gipson who has run for 215 tonite and came in leading NCAA with 8.3 ypc. Opps missed on that kid
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:42 am

Stallion wrote:Do you follow football at all?

Everybody has known what Navy does for 2 decades and no program in the country has been so consistently in the Top 5 in Rushing Offense

Nobody has consistently figured out to stop it-including P5 and ND

While this is true, the 75 points scored by Navy today were the 2nd most points by the Midshipmen in almost 90 years, while the 55 points last season would rank in the Top 20.
SoCal_Pony

Postby jpe747 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:51 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:Do you follow football at all?

Everybody has known what Navy does for 2 decades and no program in the country has been so consistently in the Top 5 in Rushing Offense

Nobody has consistently figured out to stop it-including P5 and ND

While this is true, the 75 points scored by Navy today were the 2nd most points by the Midshipmen in almost 90 years, while the 55 points last season would rank in the Top 20.

I am an excoach and therefore I have a hard time commenting on how another coach defends. However, if CM leaves I will give you some insite. Its like a BIG chest game. It's amazing...who can defend the queen?
jpe747
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:53 am

Whose willing to loose the KING!
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:42 am

As for the option...Paul Johnson beat Georgia again yesterday and Ga Tech had another boring 8-4 season so they will go on and give someone fits in a bowl game. There is actually talk of matching them up against Navy...back to the future on that match up!
Charleston Pony

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:58 pm

My thoughts for whatever little it's worth.

I played DE against several option teams. To beat it (at least from a former DE prospective) the key is #1) for the DE not to let anyone get outside them. So even if you're being blocked by tackle, tight end, fullback or some combination thereof, it is imperative to string the thing out all the way to the sideline. Just can't let them get around the edge. If you can accomplish that, #2) when the runner is forced to cut it up inside a linebacker needs to be there. Sounds easy, at least on paper.

This offense exposes our weakness at LB. No surprise to anyone on PonyFans.

The argument for not wasting time to learn to defend the option makes no sense. If we ever want to win the conference, we're going to have to figure it out at some point. Plus Tulane is running the triple option now and gave us a good scare this yea. So to save ya'll the math, that equates to 2/5 of our division's opponents running this offense. Enough is enough boys; figure it out.

We got blown out by Memphis on homecoming and Navy to end the year. Leaves a bad taste for sure. But I'm taking a little consolation after the Memphis win over Houston. Our division did really well this year. We knew what Navy was, and they were every bit as advertised. Clearly Memphis was better than advertised. And then there's Tulsa, Houston and SMU -- all right in the mix. And little old Tulane bringing up the rear at a (respectable) 4-8 (about where most were hoping we'd be at the end of the year.

I haven't jumped on the HCCM bandwagon yet. And I surely don't appreciate how this Baylor thing is being handled (JJ to ASU, part II). But first and foremost, I think the team needs some continuity right now. Last thing I want to see is a new staff blathering on about how they need to change the culture and recruit THEIR kind of player, etc, etc.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:09 pm

Well if you haven't jumped on the Morris bandwagon you are going to look pretty stupid next year. Biggest mass infusion of talent this spring and next fall than in 30 years of SMU football based on redshirts, transfers and recruits. There are going to be about 18 new outstanding prospects ready to make major contributions next year. Many of the most talented players in the program were on the sideline this year. We are going to get better-soon. But you can't see it huh?

But I was there when Ron Meyer finished his SECOND season losing his final 2 games 14-92 and there were a lot of SMU fans just like you back then too
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JohnnyRock » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Receiving group is going to be one of the best in the country if Sutton stays another year - remember we have the LSU receiver transfer playing next year
JohnnyRock
Recruit

Postby Donnell88 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:29 pm

tristatecoog wrote:How does this team blow out Houston yet also lose BIG to Memphis and Navy at home?

Did UH players come in deflated after Big 12 news and Herman pump up SMU with all his anti-Pony antics?

SMU had a solid game plan against Houston, ie, keep Greg Ward in the pocket and not allow him to
get outside and free lance. He's a great quarterback but he's shorter than most and the Mustangs were able clog up the passing lanes and contain him.

They held Ward to three yards rushing on 17 carries, while sacking him seven times, including an 18-yard loss on a fourth-down gamble when Houston was trailing 28-14.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:34 pm

tristatecoog wrote:How does this team blow out Houston yet also lose BIG to Memphis and Navy at home?

Did UH players come in deflated after Big 12 news and Herman pump up SMU with all his anti-Pony antics?

I think that is part of it just as I think all the "noise" about Chad to Baylor affected this team. To their credit, they fought hard in the 1st half against a Navy team with better athletes, but once Hicks delivered that pick 6, I saw a lot of quit in our guys (a reflection of what they may have been feeling towards their coach?)
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football