PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I'm confused...damned if we do...damned if we don't?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I'm confused...damned if we do...damned if we don't?

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:23 pm

mustangxc wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:After the JJ fiasco with ASU; did JJ give up recruiting and/or did recruits give up on SMU not knowing what JJ would be doing????

Klemm left for UCLA that offseason and that is when we lost most of the big-time prospects including Gabe Marks.

Here is a lowdown:
- June came on board bragging about how at Hawaii, he had no recruiting budget, and that he was able to evaluate kids on tape and do an awesome job.
- He made statements when hired around "just think about what I can do when I can actually go visit players".
- However, he set it up where he was the closer, he did no groundwork. On the initial staff, he hired a bunch of ex NFL scouts and continued to do tape evaluation. McKnight and JR did all the legwork.
- McKnight left and we brought on Klemm. He was really passionate about recruiting and was the only person on staff who understood the value of the recruiting services to help drive up interest.
- Klemm had great relationships with the gym community in southern California that got him the inside track on a lot of top players.
- Around the same time as the ASU fiasco, Klemm was also trying to earn a promotion to co-offensive coordinator, which I think we had 4 of on the staff. SMU refused. It had become clear that some shenanigans were going on behind the scenes with Klemm. If the CA recruits had stayed, the NCAA would have been all over SMU. Klemm left and the top recruits went with him, including several who were recruited cleanly by him.
- Klemm was replaced by people who didn't care about recruiting, so JR and Mason were the only people doing a ton of leg work at that point. There was a drop off.
- June got pissed at the recruiting services and told his coaches not to interact. That made it worse.
- JR decided to make a series of instructional tapes on how to defend against the run and shoot. June was pissed. Took JR off the recruiting trail and eventually he was let go.
- JR was replaced by Phillips, who was supposed to be a recruiting stud and fire things back up. He got us into Houston Lamar but ultimately pissed everyone off and was a detriment on the field and in recruiting.
- With Gantz, Klemm, McKnight, and JR gone there was nobody to stoke fire in practice and get things moving. Every practice the last two years was basically a walk through.
- We decided to hire one of June's old contacts for the weight program who was super old school. Half of the players bailed on weight training, and the other half got their own trainers and did their own thing. Many of our players lost upwards of 20 lbs before the start of June's last season. Even Moose hinted at the problem during the kickoff luncheon.
- In conclusion, I don't think June ever changed what he did, or got "lazier". He just did what he did. He was trying to make a point that recruiting could be done on the cheap. At the beginning, however, he had coaches on staff that were working hard to make up for that deficiency. At the end, the coaches who hit the trail hard had left and the results speak for themselves.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:28 pm

I thought JR wrote an article on how to beat Mason's 3-4 defense and Mason got mad about it then spoke with June about and they fired him.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Top Twenty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:37 pm

You can't be any more spot on than that.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby Top Twenty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:39 pm

Referring to JasonB's (always excellent) analysis.
Top Twenty
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 pm

My god what a [deleted] show that office was
SMUer

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Create a new 30 for 30 and call it "The tape doesn't lie".
JasonB

Postby dr rc » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:11 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
PonyUp_62 wrote:Honestly, after this sh-it show of a week I want him gone. Players see what has happened here, and I don't think it will go over well with recruits.. Maybe I'm just feeling the pain of the Navy, but if he stays he better make some serious amends...

62, how can he possibly make amends when we all know he wants out?

Seriously, what would you propose, he give his word that he won't leave? Would that make you feel better?

Personally wished he had stayed here for 5+ years, now I think it's in everyone's best interest that he leave.

Should Bama have told Saban to hit the bricks after his dance with Texas a few years ago? If your HC is worth a damn other schools and possibly NFL teams are always going to come calling. Why should anyone begrudge a coach for at least listening to a place that might double their salary?

You know what happens to coaches that are loyal? The natives eventually get restlessness, DGAF that the HC stayed for less money and he gets fired. Les Miles, Jeff Bower, Mark Richt, Pat Hill, Sonny Lubick.... the list goes on. If their are lucky they will be allowed to resign but more often than not they get kicked out the front door.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:40 am

Saban handled the situation differently than June or HCCM. But no they won't fire HCCM.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:28 am

dr rc wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
PonyUp_62 wrote:Honestly, after this sh-it show of a week I want him gone. Players see what has happened here, and I don't think it will go over well with recruits.. Maybe I'm just feeling the pain of the Navy, but if he stays he better make some serious amends...

62, how can he possibly make amends when we all know he wants out?

Seriously, what would you propose, he give his word that he won't leave? Would that make you feel better?

Personally wished he had stayed here for 5+ years, now I think it's in everyone's best interest that he leave.

Should Bama have told Saban to hit the bricks after his dance with Texas a few years ago? If your HC is worth a damn other schools and possibly NFL teams are always going to come calling. Why should anyone begrudge a coach for at least listening to a place that might double their salary?

You know what happens to coaches that are loyal? The natives eventually get restlessness, DGAF that the HC stayed for less money and he gets fired. Les Miles, Jeff Bower, Mark Richt, Pat Hill, Sonny Lubick.... the list goes on. If their are lucky they will be allowed to resign but more often than not they get kicked out the front door.

Good point as to Bower Hill Miles Richt rtc
RGV Pony

Postby SMUer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:01 am

But after two years, when everything is trending up?! Oh, boo-hoo! Coaches get paid millions (often the highest paid state employees) to assume these kind of risks and to make these type of calculated career decisions, and their contracts are written so long, they have golden paracheutes to glide them to their next job.
SMUer

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:22 am

It is a simple sell. Baylor came after Morris because of his great potential and recruiting. Morris said no thanks I want to be at SMU. What a positive line to help in recruiting.

No one needs to know he really went to them and the deal fell through.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I thought JR wrote an article on how to beat Mason's 3-4 defense and Mason got mad about it then spoke with June about and they fired him.

No, JasonB had it right. Essentially JR put out a video series that showed how to deconstruct June's offense even going so far as to use our plays, terminology, etc. A gift for opposing DCs.

https://coacheschoice.com/m-834-jeff-reinebold.aspx
Jeff Reinebold is the wide receivers coach at Southern Methodist University, a position he assumed in 2008. His coaching career has spanned almost three decades, and included stints at Western Montana College, Dartmouth, Rocky Mountain College, and the universities of Montana, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Louisiana Tech, and Hawaii. Much of his career has involved working with special teams and includes spending 12 seasons coaching professional football in the CFL and NFL Europe.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:30 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I thought JR wrote an article on how to beat Mason's 3-4 defense and Mason got mad about it then spoke with June about and they fired him.

No, JasonB had it right. Essentially JR put out a video series that showed how to deconstruct June's offense even going so far as to use our plays, terminology, etc. A gift for opposing DCs.

https://coacheschoice.com/m-834-jeff-reinebold.aspx
Jeff Reinebold is the wide receivers coach at Southern Methodist University, a position he assumed in 2008. His coaching career has spanned almost three decades, and included stints at Western Montana College, Dartmouth, Rocky Mountain College, and the universities of Montana, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Louisiana Tech, and Hawaii. Much of his career has involved working with special teams and includes spending 12 seasons coaching professional football in the CFL and NFL Europe.

He was using Mason's 3-4 defense and termology. That was why Mason was upset. He basically copied Mason's work.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Football