PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I'm confused...damned if we do...damned if we don't?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:40 pm

I am honestly confused.....

I am a Chad Fan....think Chad has recruited well....and has us on the right track.

If Chad leaves, sure it will be start-over with a new coach time, but the shelves aren't bare. So with the right new guy maybe we are ok?

If Chad stays....well that's where my confusion starts...

How in the heck does Chad convince kids....good players...to commit to the next 4 years with Coach Chad Morris at SMU after those same kids read the headlines that he was headed out of dodge?

Seriously what would you do if you were a really good player and Coach Chad Morris was attempting to get you to sign on the next four years at SMU?

Heck many of you guys even say "well I hope he stays one more year" and recruits will know the same thing if he stays....they will know Chad probably wont be here long. How many verbal commits do we lose? How many recruiting wars where it is really dicey whether we can land a guy will we now lose?

My confusion is...I am a Chad fan...but I seriously don't know if we are better off if Chad stays and is in some type of "lame duck status" where everybody...us...recruits...Turner know he strongly considered leaving and will probably have this all happen again next year if he stays......or are we better off if the inevitable goes ahead and happens now....and we get a fresh start with a great new hire?
Last edited by Insane_Pony_Posse on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: I'm confused...damned if we do...damned if we don't?

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:48 pm

Valid point, and he could of definitely help himself by either a) straight out saying he has no intention of leaving and wants to finish what he has started b) I haven't been offered so please drop the subject and I will let you know when it changes. Right now, nobody knows what's going on, we don't even really know if Baylor even offered him, and social media just took over along with those "reputable" sources ( cough cough Pat Dooney- Nothing But Crap).
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyUp_62 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Honestly, after this sh-it show of a week I want him gone. Players see what has happened here, and I don't think it will go over well with recruits.. Maybe I'm just feeling the pain of the Navy, but if he stays he better make some serious amends...
PonyUp_62
Recruit

Postby ericdickerson4life » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Is this like the BC coach that was fired for interviewing for another job? Just fire him for talking with Baylor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:59 pm

A great salesman can easily spin this week into a positive. You tell recruits that you are thrilled to be at SMU and that you are excited about the football program we are building at SMU. Because our program produced some great wins this season ahead of schedule, P5 programs took notice and came looking. You are honest and up front about Texas A&M being your dream job and that short of that job opening up you are fully committed to making SMU the top G5 program. You also tell recruits that SMU has managed to stockpile talent in the last couple of recruiting classes so it will be a winning program. You possibly tell recruits that in the even you leave, SMU has shown a strong commitment to football so should you leave for another program you are sure that SMU will continue to build on the success achieved. There is no program in the country that is exempt from possibly losing their coach. Even Alabama could lose Nick Saban to the NFL or Ohio State could lose Urban Meyer to taking time off. etc. Continue to sell recruits on the family atmosphere and continue to build relationships in state.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:02 pm

No Mustang fan in their right mind should want Chad gone. The college game is all about recruiting which CM is very good at and he will win here or anywhere else when he assembles some serious talent.

Did anyone really believe we were going to beat Navy today? I admit I didn't expect to give up 75 points, but it sometimes happens when you are out manned with serious holes to fill. The Houston game was an aberration and the rest of the season went exactly as expected, but nobody seems to want to admit it.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:05 pm

mustangxc wrote: There is no program in the country that is exempt from possibly losing their coach.

Yes some of that sounds pretty good....and I especially agree that many, many winning programs face the same problem....somebody wants their coach.....dang that TCU got a rare deal....but they are the oddity....it's wild Patterson's name doesn't even really come up any more as far as bigger program opportunities.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:15 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
My confusion is...I am a Chad fan...but I seriously don't know if we are better off if Chad stays and is in some type of "lame duck status" where everybody...us...recruits...Turner know he strongly considered leaving and will probably have this all happen again next year if he stays......or are we better off if the inevitable goes ahead and happens now....and we get a fresh start with a great new hire?[/color]

We're better off if he stays, all good G5 coaches have to deal with negative recruiting regarding their job status. Of course this is all moot because he gone.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:16 pm

sbsmith wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
My confusion is...I am a Chad fan...but I seriously don't know if we are better off if Chad stays and is in some type of "lame duck status" where everybody...us...recruits...Turner know he strongly considered leaving and will probably have this all happen again next year if he stays......or are we better off if the inevitable goes ahead and happens now....and we get a fresh start with a great new hire?[/color]

We're better off if he stays, all good G5 coaches have to deal with negative recruiting regarding their job status. Of course this is all moot because he gone.

Is he? Wasn't it suppose to be announced today?
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:29 pm

PonyUp_62 wrote:Honestly, after this sh-it show of a week I want him gone. Players see what has happened here, and I don't think it will go over well with recruits.. Maybe I'm just feeling the pain of the Navy, but if he stays he better make some serious amends...

62, how can he possibly make amends when we all know he wants out?

Seriously, what would you propose, he give his word that he won't leave? Would that make you feel better?

Personally wished he had stayed here for 5+ years, now I think it's in everyone's best interest that he leave.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMUer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:44 pm

If CM is worth his salt as a recruiter, he'll be able to spin this. You don't pay +$2M for "I'm a nice guy, come play for me at Nice-Guy U, nice guy."
SMUer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:49 pm

SMUer wrote:If CM is worth his salt as a recruiter, he'll be able to spin this. You don't pay +$2M for "I'm a nice guy, come play for me at Nice-Guy U, nice guy."

:lol: :lol: :lol: , that line works when your other offers are LA Laffy and NTSU.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:51 pm

lollaperuna wrote:No Mustang fan in their right mind should want Chad gone. The college game is all about recruiting which CM is very good at and he will win here or anywhere else when he assembles some serious talent.

Did anyone really believe we were going to beat Navy today? I admit I didn't expect to give up 75 points, but it sometimes happens when you are out manned with serious holes to fill. The Houston game was an aberration and the rest of the season went exactly as expected, but nobody seems to want to admit it.

Out manned. JJ and PB didn't give up 75 points.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby SMUer » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:53 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
SMUer wrote:If CM is worth his salt as a recruiter, he'll be able to spin this. You don't pay +$2M for "I'm a nice guy, come play for me at Nice-Guy U, nice guy."

:lol: :lol: :lol: , that line works when your other offers are LA Laffy and NTSU.

"Hi" probably also works for these kids.
SMUer

Postby Comet » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:56 pm

It's as if your girl has been flirting and emotionally cheating on you but didn't have the balls to close the deal and physically cheat. She gets caught and comes back. Promises to commit but the trust is broken. We may enjoy a few good moments in the future but this relationship now has an expiration date and all parties are aware of it. The magic and good vibes are gone and now it's almost best to rid yourself of the girl and focus on yourself.

Ahem, what was this about again?
Comet
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football