PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I'm confused...damned if we do...damned if we don't?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I'm confused...damned if we do...damned if we don't?

Postby Dwan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:01 am

This is not a big issue for good recruiters. Every year he was at USC, Pete Carroll was said to be going to the NFL. Same thing with Chip Kelly at Oregon. You spin the fact that people want you and are in demand into a positive. Most coaches with the exception of a handful, are either about to be fired (Sumlin, Brian Kelly) on the hot seat (Todd graham, Kirby Smart, Buth Jones) or going to leave for a better job (MacIntyre, Herman, Gundy).
Dwan
Heisman

Postby 03Mustang » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:04 am

Treadway21 wrote:Out manned. JJ and PB didn't give up 75 points.

Bennett also lost 15 games in a row at one point and lost by 58 to a mediocre A&M team a week after beating TCU.

Jones quit trying and lost to NTSU 43-6. We are outmanned because of that, not Morris. Take a deep breath and move on. We are getting better.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:08 am

Seriously every program in Texas is in disarray-with rumors at just about every school -except maybe TCU
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby birddogger » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:26 am

A couple of thoughts that are worth every penny you pay to read them:

1. HCCM legitimately could have demanded that BU make him an offer that he couldn’t refuse. And he told SMU directly or indirectly that he had been approached and used that as a bargaining chip for better pay and facilities upgrades. He wins either way.

2. If he stays: This should be a wake–up call for Administration to honor any commitments made to CM to lure him to Dallas. I don’t know if that means an IPF or something else, but if promises were made, it’s time to take action.

3. If he stays: Recruiting won’t be irreparably damaged if he explains that he was approached and considered and then reconsidered. It’s no different really than the question that the kids are facing: where is the best place for me? And he could say he chose us over Big XII BU. But he should drop the double-standard, no other visit malarkey, though.

4. If he stays: The aroma is not completely unlike that of the JJ-ASU fiasco, but we shouldn’t get our feelings hurt. It’s a business and we’re G5ers, after all. The real issue is whether CM will continue to work hard for us. JJ didn’t and we mostly ended up hating him for it. Administration should watch closely, but I want to believe that CM isn't JJ.

5. If he stays: BU will be in for a tough time, as our coach seems to love the unwashed. Others equally qualified may not be particularly eager to wade into the Waco cesspool.

6 If he leaves: We have several good choices and the cupboard isn’t nearly as bare as it was 3 years ago. But Administration will have to act quickly and decisively to maintain momentum, have a short list of candidates ready to interview and be ready to commit to improvements in facilities and attendance, because we’ll hear of those issues from CM to justify his leaving.
birddogger
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:37 am

If he stays I don't see HCCM quitting like JJ did. JJ was at the end of his career, didn't seem to have much loyalty / allegiance to his staff who mostly left when they knew he had checked out.

So HCCM will keep working hard to build his career and help his staff grow theirs. They all know they have to make this SMU thing work to get a quality P5 job. I have no idea why the BU thing doesn't appear to have worked but it could be they insisted that he replace his coordinators with more experienced guys. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Happens all the time. He may feel too much loyalty to kick them to the curb.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:02 am

Here's the bottom line. CM did not get the contract he needed to leave SMU. Therefore he will be back next year, Nough said.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:37 am

Pony81 wrote:If he stays I don't see HCCM quitting like JJ did. JJ was at the end of his career, didn't seem to have much loyalty / allegiance to his staff who mostly left when they knew he had checked out.

So HCCM will keep working hard to build his career and help his staff grow theirs. They all know they have to make this SMU thing work to get a quality P5 job. I have no idea why the BU thing doesn't appear to have worked but it could be they insisted that he replace his coordinators with more experienced guys. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Happens all the time. He may feel too much loyalty to kick them to the curb.

this is what I'm thinking, too
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:30 am

ericdickerson4life wrote:Is this like the BC coach that was fired for interviewing for another job? Just fire him for talking with Baylor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And BC hasn't been the same since. I think HCM has been open and honest with RGT about what has been going on with Baylor.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:42 am

mustangxc wrote:A great salesman can easily spin this week into a positive. You tell recruits that you are thrilled to be at SMU and that you are excited about the football program we are building at SMU. Because our program produced some great wins this season ahead of schedule, P5 programs took notice and came looking. You are honest and up front about Texas A&M being your dream job and that short of that job opening up you are fully committed to making SMU the top G5 program. You also tell recruits that SMU has managed to stockpile talent in the last couple of recruiting classes so it will be a winning program. You possibly tell recruits that in the even you leave, SMU has shown a strong commitment to football so should you leave for another program you are sure that SMU will continue to build on the success achieved. There is no program in the country that is exempt from possibly losing their coach. Even Alabama could lose Nick Saban to the NFL or Ohio State could lose Urban Meyer to taking time off. etc. Continue to sell recruits on the family atmosphere and continue to build relationships in state.

That might work with DITR's and recruits that only have offers from SFA and NTSU etc but when you start going up against guys that have commutable offers to that are around the mid to upper level talent range being recruited by at least mid level P5 teams it will be much less effective imo. Triage approach is not the best situation to be in for anyone.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:57 am

Man, so much of this is "June to ASU, 2.0". I said it then, and I say it now, coaches have the right to look into jobs. Would I be glad if Chad continues with SMU? You bet. Would we be fine if he left? Absolutely.

All of these analogies to cheating wives is just funny. HCCM and his staff have given 110% to make SMU a better program and it is. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:07 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:HCCM and his staff have given 110% to make SMU a better program and it is. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment.

It's more fun to vilify him for having the audacity to leave SMU.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:20 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:Man, so much of this is "June to ASU, 2.0". I said it then, and I say it now, coaches have the right to look into jobs. Would I be glad if Chad continues with SMU? You bet. Would we be fine if he left? Absolutely.

All of these analogies to cheating wives is just funny. HCCM and his staff have given 110% to make SMU a better program and it is. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment.

His shoes wouldn't point me towards Waco for one single minute. Other than that, I agree.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:33 am

This isn't like June to ASU:

Chad's kid hasn't trashed SMU on the internet.
Chad's agent hasn't gone public with information about contract talks on his blog.
Chad hasn't and won't tell the DMN he decided to stay in Dallas to continue a ministry for underprivileged youth (he will say something like the job at SMU isn't finished).
Chad won't have an overhead projector meeting showing how awful an assistant is at recruiting if his key recruiter leaves.
CalallenStang

Postby friarwolf » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:37 am

He doesn't want to go but the offer is too hard to pass up. The rapists have even offered to helicopter him home every night so his family doesn't have to move to Waco. He is the unlucky pretty girl that the ugly repulsive sicko king has decided to marry. It's a tough call but stop the June comparisons. If he goes, offer condolences, if he stays, be glad.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:33 pm

PonyUp_62 wrote:Honestly, after this sh-it show of a week I want him gone. Players see what has happened here, and I don't think it will go over well with recruits.. Maybe I'm just feeling the pain of the Navy, but if he stays he better make some serious amends...

My feelings exactly ! HCCM = used car salesman *

* my intent is not to demean this profession
ponypatrick
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football