PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UTSA's 1st Year Coach is Bowling

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UTSA's 1st Year Coach is Bowling

Postby Pony in SA » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:32 am

No complaints about IPF, making only about $500,000, doesn't have his recruits yet, and takes what was there and won 6 games. NO homecoming blow out, no giving up 75 points. Played A & M at Kyle closer than we have in my recent memory.

Very good recruiter in SEC at LSU for Louisiana/Texas area, first move to lock up Steele and Judson HS powerhouses and already flipped kid at Steele to UTSA. Has 4 SEC transfers coming for next year. Chad apparently is good recruiter but there are other coaches out there that work hard at it also. If Chad doesn't want to be here, lets move on to next guy who can generate wins.

Point is there are plenty of good coaches and recruiters out there, and at some point we need to get someone in here that just wins. I don't care the coaches name at this point, we need to win games and no reason we can't get to 6 wins like others. I get schedules not comparable to UTSA, but bottom line is this guy won 6 games like many others have this year with less and we need to at least get that done. The Tulsa guy has his team winning for example 6 or more games and their attendance is low too.

I don't have answer, and will continue to support regardless, but I think we need to focus more on getting someone who at end of the day gets wins even if no IPF, attendance, etc.
Pony in SA
All-American

Re: UTSA's 1st Year Coach is Bowling

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:36 am

No complaints about attendance either but he is in a weaker conference. And yes we need to upgrade our facilities for the future recruiting. But then I guess we could drop down to their conference and go to a bowl game every year. HCCM will be here next year imo.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:38 am

I agree that there are other options beyond Chad Morris. That is why there is no reason to overpay for a head coach at SMU. If we have extra money lying around let's build that IPF.
mustangxc

Postby Pony in SA » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:46 am

mustangxc wrote:I agree that there are other options beyond Chad Morris. That is why there is no reason to overpay for a head coach at SMU. If we have extra money lying around let's build that IPF.

Agree, if extra funds focus on finalizing IPF. Some of us sent funds for IPF before (not huge amount) but wondering where they eventually went.
Pony in SA
All-American

Postby Comet » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:04 am

Chad Morris would have easily had this team bowling in CUSA, MWC, Sun belt
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:18 am

CUSA is a step down in competition. Let's not forget that the AAC is essentially just the top 2/3 of the old CUSA, and current CUSA is a mix of the bottom third of old CUSA, some Sun Belt teams, and start-up programs like UTSA, Old Dominion, and Charlotte
CalallenStang

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Comet wrote:Chad Morris would have easily had this team bowling in CUSA, MWC, Sun belt

He would have easily had this team bowling if Pursley, Davis, Jones had played.
JasonB

Postby Big Hoss » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Threads like this make me tired. We can't have it both ways without building on some continued success first. Do we want to go bowling every year, or do we want to be in a tougher conference and with a hard out of conference schedule against the likes of our old SWC foes?

This board seems split between these 2 goals in the short term. Like it or not, we are in the latter scenario and with that, and after years of lackluster recruiting and honestly a loser mentality, we can't believe anyone could have turned it around in 2 seasons.

But if you want a bowl game every year, then we should have stayed in CUSA until we got better first. Or maybe we should start with a cream puff OOC schedule with TCU being our only tough game. At least then we stand a pretty good chance of being halfway to a bowl game every year before the first conference game. Or are we too good for the likes of North Texas every season? Which is it?
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:45 pm

JasonB wrote:
Comet wrote:Chad Morris would have easily had this team bowling in CUSA, MWC, Sun belt

He would have had this team bowling without Pursley, Davis, and Jones in CUSA, MWC, Sunbelt.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:37 pm

JasonB wrote:

Not with the schedule we had this year. I think most of us, when we saw we would be playing the top 6 teams in the AAC (with 4 of those games at home) in addition to our annual beatings from Baylor & TCU figured we would do well to win 3-4 games and improve on last year's results.
Charleston Pony

Return to Football