PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I know he was very interested in the job when Art was fired

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I know he was very interested in the job when Art was fired

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Challenges facing Chad Morris if he's hired at Baylor

Matt Mosley, contributor to SportsDayDFW.com and columnist for Texas Monthly, answered questions from readers during a live chat Friday. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: If Chad Morris is indeed the hire for Baylor, what do you think his first 2-3 years in Waco could look like? Lots of work to be done there ...

Mosley: He has the built-in relationship with all the high school coaches in Texas. A lot of them worshiped Art Briles and may be convinced that he was somehow mistreated in this whole scandal. Morris will have to calm that down immediately. He may have to look to the JUCO ranks for a year or two just to stay competitive. He'll need to convince recruits that Baylor's high-flying offense isn't going away. He needs to quickly identify a QB. We'll see if this Zach Smith is going to be his guy. But again, I don't know if he's coming. I do know he was very interested in the job when Art was fired. Just an interesting tidbit to remember: It was Morris who followed Art at Stephenville.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... ing-future
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: I know he was very interested in the job when Art was fi

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Maybe he has been in contact with some insiders at Baylor this whole time.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Mosley is a Baylor alum.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:28 pm

when was Briles actually officially fired? Didn't they suspend him for awhile first?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:32 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:when was Briles actually officially fired? Didn't they suspend him for awhile first?

less than a week prior to Memorial Day. Memorial Day is, per sources close to me, when Chad/Chad's people reached out to express interest.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:49 pm

RGV Pony wrote:less than a week prior to Memorial Day. Memorial Day is, per sources close to me, when Chad/Chad's people reached out to express interest.

wow....so I guess this means Chad was trying to leave SMU in May and get the job before Baylor hired Grobe? Or was Chad reaching out for 2017 knowing Grobe was already hired as 1 year and done deal?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony^ » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Baylor is down to just 1 commitment in its 2017 recruiting class

National signing day is just over two months away and Baylor is down to one verbal commitment in its 2017 recruiting class.

That’s right. One.

The number was two until Sunday morning, when three-star defensive back Noah Daniels announced on Twitter that he was opening up his recruitment. Daniels committed to the Bears back in July even after Art Briles was fired, but has decided to look elsewhere.

That leaves just three-star athlete Jalen Pitre in Baylor’s 2017 class. By comparison, 95 of the 100 schools in Rivals.com’s Top 100 team recruiting rankings have at least 10 verbal commitments at this point. Many have more than 20.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/baylor-is-down-to-just-1-commitment-in-its-2017-recruiting-class-213316836.html
Pony^
All-American

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:12 pm

"sources close to me" could be his poodle. Beudine is running this search and of course he is going to try to go where it is low hanging fruit and double someones salary, get a quick yes and a quick check for himself.
gostangs

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:38 am

BIGHORSE wrote:Maybe he has been in contact with some insiders at Baylor this whole time.

Yep
Bergermeister

Postby lollaperuna » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:40 am

It matters not who contacted who or when it happened. The man was either listening to or exploring for a chance to move up the ladder.

It's a job in a very high risk reward business and you can't begrudge a man for doing what he feels is best for him even when it sucks as fans.
lollaperuna
All-American

Return to Football