PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Fan on Baylorfans.com Says Chad is Staying at SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU Fan on Baylorfans.com Says Chad is Staying at SMU

Postby MaroonPony » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Rebel10 wrote:If they fire Sumlin I don't think the Aggies hire a coach that has only one winning season in 3 years. And they are mad at Sumlin and he won 8 games this year while in the SEC. Why would they hire a guy that wins 8 games in the AAC.

There are plenty of folks that feel that way on the TAMU boards. There's also a handful that understand the mess that JJ left behind, follow Matt Davis, and have a general sense of context. Though the Memphis and Navy games are disturbing.

At this point anyone pushing for him at TAMU looks at his offense in last years NC game and all the players that he worked (Watson, Chad Kelly, Lawson, Gallaman, etc) to Clemson. If he could have similar resources and leverage his TX high school football coaches relationships, it's pretty compelling.

Personally and selfishly I'd like him to stay. Objectively, I think it tarnishes his reputation and could hurt in the eyes of those same high school coaches if he jumps after 2 years
MaroonPony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:11 pm

"son if you commit to SMU...I promise I will be there at least during your red shirt season"

:roll:
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:22 pm

smupony94 wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
Digetydog wrote:[quote="smupony94"]SMU fan owns or runs their Rivals page

What was his name here? Mitch?

He is Kevin Lonnquist @baylorrivals. There is nothing on his twitter feed.

Mitch McConnell, George S. Patton and Big10PonyFan

Dude doesn't like me after the poll named him the biggest ***hole of the year[/quote]

Which one?
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:24 pm

He won 2004-2012
smupony94

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:27 pm

Jessica Morrey ‏@JessicaMorrey 19m
19 minutes ago
Award-Winning Sports Reporter/Anchor at KCEN |

Chad Morris to #Baylor looked like sure thing last week. Now, sources tell me it still could happen but it's becoming less & less likely
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby dr rc » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:56 am

Baylor is likely balking at him wanting to have an out clause in case A&M comes calling.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Ikus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
mrydel wrote:I am so confused.

I just take comfort in knowing Chad Morris will be our coach until he isn't

Me too. I'm not thrilled that he flirted with the dumpster fire in Waco, but I can think of about 25 million reasons why I would have listened, too. The reason his possible departure is upsetting, of course, is because he has us tending in the right direction and there is no assurance that a replacement would be a better option. So if he is staying, regardless of the reason, I'm thrilled.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:28 am

If I am a recruit I would seriously take into consideration the fact that Morris would probably not be my coach for 4 years. You can sell academics, location, contacts....etc., but the bottom line is that all kids go to a school where they are primarily comfortable with the staff. I think this issue will plague Morris if he stays on and now everyone knows about is TAMU contract clause. Morris has also experienced the hard lesson that nothing is ever kept quite which precludes confidential inquiries and job interest. I am firmly with the preponderance of people on this board that think Morris must first prove he is a legitimate head coach with sustained recruiting and some wins. Not sure why he was interested in Baylor which for him was a stepping stone job at best and fraught with future uncertainties and looming NCAA sanctions. It will be interesting to see how he handles this situation no matter which decision he makes.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:40 am

How many schools can someone name where the head coach can be assumed to be there in four years? I can think of about 4.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:00 am

Which 4? I can think of one myself. Jim Harbaugh and Nick Saban may get the NFL itch again. Urban Meyer may burn out again. Ed Orgeron, Tom Herman, Clay Helton, Mark Richt, Kirby Smart, Gus Malzahn, etc are all recent hires that may not win enough to keep their fanbases happy. Mark Dantonio may move on from Michigan State to Notre Dame to replace Brian Kelly who himself may move on to other ventures. Bill Snyder may retire. At that point, Gary Patterson may decide TCU is in a good place and he wants to help his alma mater by replacing Snyder. There are no guarantees. Bob Stoops is probably the only one I can think of that I would assume is still the coach at his current school in 4 years.
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:03 am

You are correct. I was giving the benefit of doubt to Saban, Harbaugh, and Urban, with room for a wild card. I have heard a lot of rumblings about getting rid of Stoops.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:40 pm

footballdad wrote:Is it not blatantly obvious to everyone? Chad just squeezed SMU for more $$$, and there is a 99% chance he moves on to TAMU after next season. The schedule makes a 7-8 win season very realistic, and he will be much more palatable after finally having a decent season. If it were up to the Aggie faithful, Sumlin would already be gone......they literally hate the guy. The only reason he gets 1 more year is because of the current enormous buyout. After he has an even worse season next year, the big $ alum will have to 'Pony Up' and eat the remainder of the buyout, thus opening the door for their favorite son/alum Chad to swoop in and save the day.

Write it down now. Same thing I told everyone at the beginning of this year.

I'll come back next year, on this day, to tell everyone I told you so.

If you came on here to tell us that Sumlin is on the hot seat and Chad wants the A&M job then I hate to break it to you, but you're not exacrly telling us anything we didn't already know. Also- we missed you around here after the Houston and Tulane wins.

Here's the thing- say we go 8-4 next year. Is Chad A&M's first call if they fire Sumlin? I'd think Mike Macintyre, Mike Gundy, Brian Kelly, and some other bigger names might get called first.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smustatesman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm confused. Is Castro still dead ?
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:35 pm

smustatesman wrote:I'm confused. Is Castro still dead ?

Cilantro overdose.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Deader than a Avocado - with or without salt
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football