PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Note to Coaching Staff...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Note to Coaching Staff...

Postby Maryland78 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:16 pm

I'm getting kind of tired of hearing the same old excuse about how difficult Navy's scheme is to defend and not enough time to prepare for it.

How about checking out the film from this year's Air Force Academy game vs. Navy...net yards rushing for Navy was 57...Yes, 57 Yards!!! I'm also pretty sure that our defensive players are more highly regarded athletically than Air Force's.

Coaching Staff: How about we just coach them up a bit, since we will play Navy EVERY FR'KNG YEAR! If I was Chad or Van, I would not only be embarrassed, but would make it one of my primary goals to shut down Navy next year. If Air Force can do it, our defense should be able to, as well.

No excuses, please...you've got one year to figure it out!! That should be enough time to watch the Air Force film and put our players in the right position to be successful!

You can do it...Go Ponies!
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Re: Note to Coaching Staff...

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:19 pm

NOTE: Air Force has the advantage of practicing against the same type of offense as Navy every week

Army, Air Force and Navy all finished in Top 4 of the Nation in Rushing Offense. Navy is actually No. 2 in Country in Rushing Per Game with one game to go.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deucetz » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Stallion wrote:NOTE: Air Force practices against the same offense every week

Army, Air Force and NMvy all finished in Top 4 of the Nation in Rushing Offense. Navy is actually No. 2 in Country in Rushing per game with one game to go.

Sounds like excuses to me. I bet if they paid you 2 million dollars a year, you would surely figure it out.

I don't feel sorry for football coaches. They are overpaid to coach a game you play about 12 times.
deucetz
All-American

Postby smitty329 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:34 pm

452 - 4 lineman, 5 LBs, 2 Safetys - 9 in the box.
smitty329
All-American

Postby Maryland78 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:39 pm

True Stallion, but same old excuse.

Note to Coaching Staff: Stop making excuses...make it your personal vendetta to shut down Navy next year and EVERY year. If Air Force can do it with lessor athletes, so can you. Take the time to figure it out...you've got one whole year to train up our defense. Stop embarrassing yourself and the team...and your fans! Stop giving up one loss every year because the team isn't prepared. How about "penciling" this game in as a victory. Wake up every day with a plan to stop that scheme and instill that desire into our players.

You can do it...believe in yourself and make it a primary goal for next season! Go Ponies!!
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 pm

As I posted elsewhere, both Navy and Tulane are running the triple option now. That's 2 teams we're guaranteed to face every year. At some point, we're going to have to step up and figure it out.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 pm

The other teams that only play Navy once a year figured out how not to give up 75 points. That is a year after the death penalty SWC type score.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Great Stat:

Navy has punted 2 times in November against 4 Teams:

Notre Dame: 0
Tulsa: 1
East Carolina: 1
SMU: 0
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Stallion wrote:Great Stat:

Interesting Stat -

But you hate the option - doesn't this show it can be very effective with the right implementation.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:01 pm

I just hate watching it almost as much as I hate the Run and Shoot. I like a versatile spread like Chad Morris and Briles' offense the best. When SMU has the right personnel to run it will be extremely productive

Stallion

Postby Maryland78 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Stallion wrote:Great Stat:

Not discounting your viewpoint, Stallion, but just saying...

Navy had FIVE punts vs. Air Force and even FOUR vs. Tulane. It can be done! As was said earlier, if our coach is being paid 2 million plus to coach, he better figure it out or move on!!! Not saying it is easy, but make it your vendetta not to get embarrassed as a coach...and embarrass SMU!! The coaching staff needs to stop making excuses and coach the players. They are bigger, stronger, and faster...or should be!!!!
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Didn't TCU run the Veer Option or some sort of Zone Read during their assent? Seem like it is teachable to inferior athletes and maximizes time of possession. Hell, if you never punt, you just have to find some way to get 2-3 stops and it's game-over, you win. Then you don't have to be so dependent on QB/WR development and can instead stock up on bad @ss defenders and OLine and dominate your conference. I don't know why we haven't tried this...Clemson was rolling out some sort of veer offense and I was hoping to see it run with Matt Davis or Freeman.
SMUer

Postby mustangfan4life » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:40 pm

Not getting off blocks, not tackling, not reading keys, not physical enough, young under sized defense = 68 points. (they scored on defense for 75) Pretty simple to me.
mustangfan4life
Recruit

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:55 pm

IIRC option fball needs a good QB who can make decisions, able runner and can also pass once in a while. We don't have a good option QB on the team IMO.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Yes we do
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next

Return to Football