PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Note to Coaching Staff...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Note to Coaching Staff...

Postby Ponymon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 pm

I wonder if our players on defense even cared about the game given all that was being said about Morris all week long? The offense shocked me in the first half with how well they played but the defense really didn't seem to have their heart in the game.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 am

mrydel wrote:Yes we do

Mark- really? I wasn't aware that any of our current QBs had run the option, split-T, veer or option-T in high school since most Texas programs run a more wide-open offense. However, you follow these programs much closer than I do. Just curious- who is our option experienced QB?
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:38 am

redpony wrote:IIRC option fball needs a good QB who can make decisions, able runner and can also pass once in a while. We don't have a good option QB on the team IMO.

I have quoted your original statement to which I replied. Peavy is a QB that can make decisions, is an able runner. And can pass once in a while. If you are talking triple option, no we do not and no we won't.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:45 am

We've got a JUCO QB committed who is definitely more of a running than passing QB
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:40 am

Stallion wrote:We've got a JUCO QB committed who is definitely more of a running than passing QB

He took a visit to Ole Miss last weekend and says he is deciding between SMU, Ole Miss and Vandy. Not sure how "committed" he really is.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:41 am

ponyinNC wrote:
Stallion wrote:We've got a JUCO QB committed who is definitely more of a running than passing QB

He took a visit to Ole Miss last weekend and says he is deciding between SMU, Ole Miss and Vandy. Not sure how "committed" he really is.

He will be a back up there with .00001% chance of starting
smupony94

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Maryland78 wrote:I'm getting kind of tired of hearing the same old excuse about how difficult Navy's scheme is to defend and not enough time to prepare for it.

How about checking out the film from this year's Air Force Academy game vs. Navy...net yards rushing for Navy was 57...Yes, 57 Yards!!! I'm also pretty sure that our defensive players are more highly regarded athletically than Air Force's.

Coaching Staff: How about we just coach them up a bit, since we will play Navy EVERY FR'KNG YEAR! If I was Chad or Van, I would not only be embarrassed, but would make it one of my primary goals to shut down Navy next year. If Air Force can do it, our defense should be able to, as well.

No excuses, please...you've got one year to figure it out!! That should be enough time to watch the Air Force film and put our players in the right position to be successful!

You can do it...Go Ponies!

We have faced Navy for the past 6 years and Army once. This offense in not new to us. We simply do not have the depth or players to defend.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:12 pm

the Great Art Briles had 65 and 63 scored on him in his SECOND year at UH
the Great Ron Meyer lost the last 2 games of his SECOND year at SMU 92-14

what this tells you is recruit well and Count to 3-4, not expect the leftovers of a total rebuild to be "coached up" and miraculously win a bunch of games. SMU was particularly vulnerable because Morris neglected his defense in his 1st recruiting class to showcase his beloved Offense. The Defense as I've said numerous times just finished Year 1 of its rebuild and is a year behind the Offensive rebuild
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Maryland78 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:53 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
We have faced Navy for the past 6 years and Army once. This offense in not new to us. We simply do not have the depth or players to defend.

Pocono...Sure it will get easier when the current coaching staff (if they are still here next week) puts more emphasis on defensive recruiting. But STILL these are the same old excuses. If Air Force and even Tulane can stop Navy's great scheme with lessor talent, than SMU should be able to as well! Come on...our players are more highly ranked than the Tulane's or the Air Force Academy. Surely, we should not accept giving up 75 points and 10 straight offensive touchdowns to Navy, including against their second and third string.

Coaching Staff/players, all I'm saying, please don't listen to the excuses...show some pride...make it your goal next year to hold Navy's offense down and prove the naysayers wrong! Bigger, stronger, faster...I know you can do it! Go Ponies!
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:30 pm

Need good at every position to defend. We are too weak at LB right now to have a chance against the option.
mrydel

Postby dr rc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Navy punted just twice in the month of November. TWICE. People need to take a step back and realize they are pretty damn good at what they do. Since their loss to Air Force they have been able to run at will on everyone.

Also, as much as people don't want to hear it, the crowd quitting on the team after the pick 6 had a major impact on the players. They all turned to watch the mass of people filing out and after that they had zero intensity for the rest of the game.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Wild Mustang » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Collectively we need to stop pointing to the fact that our crowds are small and that fans leave early. Facts are that we are a small school with very few alumni in and around Dallas. Win games and the fans will come to games. Maybe next year is truly the start of something that could be pretty special. One can only hope. I seriously think that Coach Morris and Staff can build something special at SMU. Our program is definitely moving in the right direction. We are only 2 years in, so regardless the building of a program takes time.

If we want to really think that packing the stands is going to help our program we should seriously consider donating lots and lots of tickets to local YMCA, Boys Clubs, Girls Clubs, Junior High and High Schools in the area. I do not doubt that we already donate a certain number of tickets to different organizations, schools, etc. All I am suggesting is step it up even more. True that maybe the stands could be half-full with fans who have been given donated tickets, but who cares right now. We should care about building a winning culture at SMU and once we start winning maybe the fans who were given ticket will return to help support our Ponies.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:Collectively we need to stop pointing to the fact that our crowds are small and that fans leave early. Facts are that we are a small school with very few alumni in and around Dallas. Win games and the fans will come to games. Maybe next year is truly the start of something that could be pretty special. One can only hope. I seriously think that Coach Morris and Staff can build something special at SMU. Our program is definitely moving in the right direction. We are only 2 years in, so regardless the building of a program takes time.

If we want to really think that packing the stands is going to help our program we should seriously consider donating lots and lots of tickets to local YMCA, Boys Clubs, Girls Clubs, Junior High and High Schools in the area. I do not doubt that we already donate a certain number of tickets to different organizations, schools, etc. All I am suggesting is step it up even more. True that maybe the stands could be half-full with fans who have been given donated tickets, but who cares right now. We should care about building a winning culture at SMU and once we start winning maybe the fans who were given ticket will return to help support our Ponies.

Love the enthusiasm, but all that has been tried. There are plenty enough SMU alums in the DFW to have great crowds at Ford but they just don't care. They won't care much more when we are winning since we are playing teams from the AAC. If we went unbeaten we would probably have a very full house for the last two games. If good attendance is a requirement of any coach here they are in the wrong place. We just have to do what we die-hard ponyfans do which is show up and root for the team.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:42 pm

I do not think the team let down because the crowd thinned after the pick 6. I think the team let down when they knew they were going to have to swap scores to stay in the game and in just a fraction of the second half they were 3 scores down.
mrydel

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:53 pm

PoconoPony wrote:We have faced Navy for the past 6 years and Army once. This offense in not new to us. We simply do not have the depth or players to defend.

We've been talking about a lack of depth for 20+ years. When will it be resolved? 2020? 2025?

mrydel wrote:I do not think the team let down because the crowd thinned after the pick 6. I think the team let down when they knew they were going to have to swap scores to stay in the game and in just a fraction of the second half they were 3 scores down.

Makes sense. The turnover let the game get out of hand quickly.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football