PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bill Nichols Tweet on HCCM to Baylor...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bill Nichols Tweet on HCCM to Baylor...

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Bill Nichols ‏@BillNicholsDMN 32m32 minutes ago
Hearing SMU's Chad Morris met w/ Baylor for 2nd time - His counter of BU's 5-yr, $4.9m deal (plus bonuses) not accepted

Feel free to discuss.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Bill Nichols Tweet on HCCM to Baylor...

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:07 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ng-search/

Chad seems to be out at Baylor. maybe. he really wants the tamu job so no real reason to go to Baylor if Sumlin is out next year.
Nacho

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Nacho wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/new-names-surface-in-baylor-coaching-search/

Chad seems to be out at Baylor. maybe. he really wants the tamu job so no real reason to go to Baylor if Sumlin is out next year.

Chad Morris (or whomever) will take SMU to a bowl game next season. We'll win 7-8 games and get an invite. Chad will be more enthusiastically received after 3 years of improvement and the program will be in good shape. He needs to get real serious about defensive philosophy, player personnel and coordinator/position coaches. Something is not right. Winning a bowl game on the way out leaves a better taste in your mouth than 0-63 and 31-75. That's deplorable.
Bergermeister

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:25 pm

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:28 pm

What's not right is that he wasn't able to recruit many defensive players in 2015-Defense was better than I had hoped in about 8 games this year. Said repeatedly that the Defensive rebuild was one year behind the Offense. As usual it comes down to talent and recruiting. Reinforcements are on their way
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:31 pm

although I understand Chad being interested in doubling his salary, etc...does anybody else have the sinking feeling like if you were in the next room while your wife is cheating on you? I mean the guy claims he was "hitting recruiting trail Monday"....but now we see he is still negotiating his departure from SMU to Baylor....I dunno...I guess it's not a surprise because we knew it wasn't over yet....but good grief it just makes me sick to my stomach....
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Bleach Report via 247sports.com report Baylor and Morris are no longer in talks.

Attention turning to other candidates: Dykes, MacIntyre, Fedora.

http://247sports.com/Article/Baylor-foo ... r-49362625
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby stc9 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:47 pm

I don't get Fedora. UNC has become a good job (one he keeps developing). Chapel Hill is far superior to Whacko... he is also at the flagship state school, who is willing to fight the evil empire (NCAA) tooth and nail.

Sonny Dykes gets jerked around by Cal all of the time. I could see him jumping into the Baylor dumpster fire. It would probably be easier than getting jerked around all of the time.

Colorado is on a hell of a roll why leave?
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Fedora was born in College Station
Played at Austin College
Coached at Garland
Coached at Baylor and Okie St
Believe his brother coached at Baylor and TXHSFB
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:56 pm

stc9 wrote:Colorado is on a hell of a roll why leave?

You would think Colorado is one place where there would be plenty of people around with many reasons to stay the hell away from the Big 12.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby peruna81 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:58 pm

stc9 wrote:I don't get Fedora. UNC has become a good job (one he keeps developing). Chapel Hill is far superior to Whacko... he is also at the flagship state school, who is willing to fight the evil empire (NCAA) tooth and nail.

Sonny Dykes gets jerked around by Cal all of the time. I could see him jumping into the Baylor dumpster fire. It would probably be easier than getting jerked around all of the time.

Fedora family have long and deep Texas roots...Larry and Lee were raised in College Station. Baylor would make sense if Larry wanted to come back to Texas, but Baylor has some very difficult issues, not the least of which is an almost barren recruiting class for this year. At least with Morris, he could have brought the kids he had recruited from SMU to Baylor, and stuck a finger in the dike. Fedora, who recruits for NC on a more national platform, has kids from Florida, Georgia, and a couple of interests from Texas kids...not much help there. He is doing a good job at Chapel Hill, but Baylor would not be a step up, more of sideways...and then there is Waco.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:59 pm

stc9 wrote:I don't get Fedora. UNC has become a good job (one he keeps developing). Chapel Hill is far superior to Whacko... he is also at the flagship state school, who is willing to fight the evil empire (NCAA) tooth and nail.

Agreed. Except for the fact he's from Texas, he'd laugh at Baylor.

stc9 wrote:Sonny Dykes gets jerked around by Cal all of the time. I could see him jumping into the Baylor dumpster fire. It would probably be easier than getting jerked around all of the time.

Jerked around? He fields one of the worst defenses in the NCAA each year and can't beat their main rivals (finally beat Oregon and UCLA this year [both way down] and has never beaten Stanford or USC).

That makes no sense at all.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:12 pm

If Chad wants to stay why was he still trying to negotiate with Baylor today. BergerM and DanFH seem to have the battered pony syndrome.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Emotionally you want to tell him to GTFOOH, but rationally as long as he continues to improve the SMU football program let him stay. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
mustangxc

Postby stc9 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 pm

CA Mustang wrote:

Agreed. Except for the fact he's from Texas, he'd laugh at Baylor.

stc9 wrote:Sonny Dykes gets jerked around by Cal all of the time. I could see him jumping into the Baylor dumpster fire. It would probably be easier than getting jerked around all of the time.

Jerked around? He fields one of the worst defenses in the NCAA each year and can't beat their main rivals (finally beat Oregon and UCLA this year [both way down] and has never beaten Stanford or USC).

That makes no sense at all.

Dykes - Cal keeps upping the academic restrictions on his recruits. I believe they did it again for the second time for his last recruiting class. He has to turn recruits away.

McIntyre has Colorado is the PAC-12 title game against UW. He has that program, which has been down for a while, on the upswing.
Last edited by stc9 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Next

Return to Football