PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CBS: New Names Surface in Baylor Coaching Search

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: CBS: New Names Surface in Baylor Coaching Search

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Sigh
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:19 pm

I keep hoping for closure but also keep forgetting RU has another game this week so I would imagine they won't do anything this week.

Wish SMU would say something!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby MiracleOnMockingbird » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Stallion wrote:on Baylor’s end, it was a price and a coaching prospect that suddenly seemed less palatable after watching Navy score 10 offensive touchdowns on 10 possessions against the Mustangs.

Quick, send Baylor tape of the Memphis game too! That should seal the non-deal.
"We hung with them until the game got out of hand." -DanFreibergerForHeisman
MiracleOnMockingbird
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:48 pm

Topper wrote:How does the government get half of every check if the maximum tax rate is only 39.6% and he only pays payroll tax on the first 2% or so.

You kidding me?

CA top incremental tax rate is over 13% (you make over $52k and the incremental rate is already 9.3%)
CA sales tax is almost 8%.
CA property tax rate is a little over 1%, but remember homes are more expensive out here.
FICA tax is 6.2% on first $120k.
Medicare tax is 1.45% regardless of income (don't know how you are calculating your 2%).
Tax on a gallon of gasoline in CA is $.60 per gallon.

Plus, as a nit, if you receive any dividend income, the company pays taxes on it, distributes it to you the shareholder, who then pays taxes on it again.

Of course there are other taxes/fees, these are the ones that popped into my head.

Trust me, it adds up.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:07 pm

Just make enough money where it doesn't matter. :mrgreen:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Topper » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:09 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Topper wrote:How does the government get half of every check if the maximum tax rate is only 39.6% and he only pays payroll tax on the first 2% or so.

You kidding me?

CA top incremental tax rate is over 13% (you make over $52k and the incremental rate is already 9.3%)
CA sales tax is almost 8%.
CA property tax rate is a little over 1%, but remember homes are more expensive out here.
FICA tax is 6.2% on first $120k.
Medicare tax is 1.45% regardless of income (don't know how you are calculating your 2%).
Tax on a gallon of gasoline in CA is $.60 per gallon.

Plus, as a nit, if you receive any dividend income, the company pays taxes on it, distributes it to you the shareholder, who then pays taxes on it again.

Of course there are other taxes/fees, these are the ones that popped into my head.

Trust me, it adds up.

No doubt taxes are high but Baylor is in Texas and the other taxes you describe do not come out of the paycheck except for the payroll taxes of which Chad already pays the maximum except for the Medicaid.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 pm

Plus you have those nice write offs, loopholes and tax shelters. :mrgreen:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby leopold » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:57 pm

I genuinely don't see any of those individuals taking this job. I just don't.

Forget the scandal. Pretend it never existed.

This is Baylor.

BAYLOR.

The new stadium doesn't change that. The recent Heisman trophy winner doesn't change that. it's still, arguably, the ninth place program in the Big XII in front of Kansas. Iowa State may not be in Texas but they don't carry the baggage, either. Art Briles HIMSELF would have left the job had the scandal not hit. If the idiots on his team had magically not committed those acts (or the victims magically not reported it) Art would be in front of the cameras in Baton Rouge right now, possibly Austin.

And I don't by any of the coaching names floating around right now.
Colorado is looking at a chance to win the Pac 12 and their coach is going to leave Boulder for Waco? The coach of the #12 team is the country is going to leave for a two year recruiting hole and praying to the Baylor God the NCAA doesn't find a reason to slap a two year probation on top of that? If they think Colorado's HC is leaving because God wants him to they are thinking of the wrong Coach Mac.
North Carolina was a win away from showing up in the ACC championship game themselves and their coach is going to leave Chapel Hill for Waco? I don't care what Texas ties he's got; in fact, he knows what Waco is about, so he isn't going near it.
I don't care how miserable Sonny Dykes is at Cal, or how out-of-place the football culture is, it's nothing to being the head coach at Baylor after Art Briles. Half the school won't like him because he's coaching 'rapists' and the other half will DESPISE him for essentially replacing Briles and NOT being able to replicate his success.
Baylor better start looking farther down the pike and do it fast. They need to find a hot-shot O Coordinator and take a chance on him, or possibly one who may be damaged goods, or even a top HS coach, because any coach who believes he's got a future isn't going near that program.

I have said it before and I will say it again

Baylor is screwed.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:32 am

The only reason MacIntyre would leave, is as I understand it, Colorado doesn't pay their assistance well. Similar to why coaches keep leaving, what appears to be a great job, Wisconsin. But I don't see him leaving to go to Baylor.

Baylor is going to have to bend over and take it to land the guy they want. They are going to have to overpay and concede on some contractual outs. Otherwise, like leopold pointed out, this is a bottom of the B12 job. Briles brought it to the top and caught lightening in a bottle. He had RGIII going to UH before he went to Baylor. I'd say that was a big help. Then that coincided with UTs drop off and OU taking a small step back. So the top of the B12 moved backwards while they moved up. Now with what I've read, 35 open scholarships (prior to any transfers at the end of this season) that two year recruiting gap will catch up with them next season as lack of depth will be noticeable and the year after that Kansas maybe calling them their [deleted]. I think in the long run, and all things being equal, Baylor is a better job than Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State and only because of their recruiting ground and facilities. Chad goes there he can at least bring recruits with him and has already recruited Texas as hard as anyone to plug the holes in the dike with this recruiting class. The other coaches being named aren't hitting Texas as hard and will fall behind the eight ball even further. Then those Baptists will be calling for the coaches head in 3 years wondering why they aren't having the same success as Briles.

All that said, I want Chad to stay. I have no hard feelings towards him. Onward and upward, as my grandmother would say.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:23 pm

leopold wrote:I genuinely don't see any of those individuals taking this job. I just don't.

Forget the scandal. Pretend it never existed.

This is Baylor.

BAYLOR.

The new stadium doesn't change that. The recent Heisman trophy winner doesn't change that. it's still, arguably, the ninth place program in the Big XII in front of Kansas. Iowa State may not be in Texas but they don't carry the baggage, either. Art Briles HIMSELF would have left the job had the scandal not hit. If the idiots on his team had magically not committed those acts (or the victims magically not reported it) Art would be in front of the cameras in Baton Rouge right now, possibly Austin.

And I don't by any of the coaching names floating around right now.
Colorado is looking at a chance to win the Pac 12 and their coach is going to leave Boulder for Waco? The coach of the #12 team is the country is going to leave for a two year recruiting hole and praying to the Baylor God the NCAA doesn't find a reason to slap a two year probation on top of that? If they think Colorado's HC is leaving because God wants him to they are thinking of the wrong Coach Mac.
North Carolina was a win away from showing up in the ACC championship game themselves and their coach is going to leave Chapel Hill for Waco? I don't care what Texas ties he's got; in fact, he knows what Waco is about, so he isn't going near it.
I don't care how miserable Sonny Dykes is at Cal, or how out-of-place the football culture is, it's nothing to being the head coach at Baylor after Art Briles. Half the school won't like him because he's coaching 'rapists' and the other half will DESPISE him for essentially replacing Briles and NOT being able to replicate his success.
Baylor better start looking farther down the pike and do it fast. They need to find a hot-shot O Coordinator and take a chance on him, or possibly one who may be damaged goods, or even a top HS coach, because any coach who believes he's got a future isn't going near that program.

I have said it before and I will say it again

Baylor is screwed.

I couldn't agree more. But maybe that's because I f'kin hated Baylor in the 70's, 80's 90's, oughts and at 4:20 yesterday afternoon.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Leopold, I think your assessment of Baylor football is a bit harsh. If I had to rank the Big XII football programs in terms of recent and historic success I would put them in the following tiers. Texans are very proud of their home state, so I can definitely see one of these coaches wanting to coach in Texas with the great pay and fertile recruiting areas.

1. Texas
1. Oklahoma

3. Oklahoma State
3. TCU

5. West Virginia
5. Kansas State
5. Texas Tech
5. Baylor

9. Iowa State
9. Kansas
mustangxc

Postby peruna81 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:56 pm

Heard tonight from a Baylor dad that the BOR has two main drivers...both want Fedora after the Morris fiasco. It will be an interesting 'twist in the wind' next few days for Baylor.

As much as I am thankful that Morris decided to stay at SMU (by and for whatever reason), I have to also note how POORLY Baylor handled this first attempt at finding their next coach...and how SMU handled this 'courting of our girl'. Somewhere in one of these threads that analogy was given, and it was a pretty good one. Our 'date' was looking at a perceived better 'fit' of a date, but found him wanting. So what should be our response?

1) "Show her the door"...effective, but then you are left alone. Short term win, long term lonely.

2) "Reprimand, make life difficult, restrict, etc"...again, how do you enforce fidelity? You spend more time watching and waiting for the next offense, instead of enjoying the relationship and its benefits. Not a long-term solution either.

3) "Find your next Ex"...a totally cynical, but highly effective strategy. The gist is that you are happy with who you have, but are always keeping your eye out for your next "Ex". Finding 'forever' is not required as an option for candidates, only a fair and equitable exchange for services, with the understanding that you both have an open avenue to pursue another if desired.

A totally secularized view of a metaphor taken to an extreme, and one that I would never counsel in an actual relationship with a girlfriend/boyfriend or husband/wife....but with a football coach at SMU? It may be our best option these days.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:35 am

Option 3 is what we have with Morris. In fact, that is the working relationship in all of college football.
mustangxc

Previous

Return to Football