PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Loyalty and the Recruiting Process

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Loyalty and the Recruiting Process

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:06 pm

If anything his desire to go to Texas A&M should be seen as a positive. It shows that he will not rest on his laurels and will work non-stop to improve SMU football enough to impress the Texas A&M faithful. That is good enough for me as an alum/fan and it would be enticing enough for me as a HS prospect.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:38 pm

I see it that way as well. If he stays there won't be a lack of motivation on his part to succeed because he obviously has higher goals.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby birddogger » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Pony81 wrote:So how about an alternate viewpoint:
1. SMU doesn't recruit against the top 1/2 of the P5. So our recruits are not choosing between SMU and say UT. So...
2. SMU recruits are choosing between AAC and lower tier P5 / Big 12 schools . And...
3. Does anyone truly believe that coaches don't leave or get fired in this day of big money college sports? Really? Its like asking your employer to promise never to lay you off.

^^^^
This! How many G5 coaches (who comprise most of competition for recruits) are lifers at their schools? Probably none.

Can we name 20 P5 coaches with whom we compete for recruits that are irrevocably committed to their schools? Patterson, for one, and Harbaugh at MI when we play him in a year or two (if he doesn't leave for the NFL). KState's Snyder is another one. But I'm having trouble finding anyone other than BCS Top 10'ers who wouldn't seriously consider an upgrade. Remember, Saban left LSU for the NFL, so anything's possible.

Isn't it unfair to expect head coaches, who are Type-A guys (JJ proves the rule by exception) to not want to see how high they can go? In our own pursuits, how many of us would settle for being a jr. assistant vp for 20 years?

We should be on good footing with recruits for a while. As has been mentioned so often before, most of the other TX schools don't have stable coaching situations, either.
birddogger
All-American

Postby lollaperuna » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:07 am

Anyone hung up on loyalty or the lack of it needs to get over it.

Loyalty left the business world long ago right behind your word is your bond and the handshake seals the deal.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 am

mustangxc

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:29 am

mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:47 am

mustangxc wrote:If anything his desire to go to Texas A&M should be seen as a positive. It shows that he will not rest on his laurels and will work non-stop to improve SMU football enough to impress the Texas A&M faithful. That is good enough for me as an alum/fan and it would be enticing enough for me as a HS prospect.

I would agree...and just think of how impressed the Ag$ will be and how thrilled SMU faithful will be if Chad can get us into the same position Houston was in this year.
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football