PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Loyalty and the Recruiting Process

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Loyalty and the Recruiting Process

Postby Smulaw90 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:30 am

For the first time in decades, Texas does not currently have any of its college football teams in the Top 20. With the exception of TCU, every program is in a state of flux and potential upheaval. So how do you recruit? If you're Chad Morris do you pitch the virtues and advantages of building something special at SMU, and tell the parents about the incredible education all the while you were more than willing to go to Baylor for the right money. And if he goes to Baylor, how does he sell that recruit when everyone knows he will leave to A&M if and when, they come calling.

Same for Sumlin. He might not even make it one more year if they can't win 10 games and beat 2 quality teams.

Which brings me to this: I admire Coach Patterson and Coach K (Duke), Wichita State's bball coach and others who passed up greater $ for the opportunity to build something special AND be men of their word. If I'm Patterson that's my pitch. "Who will be here in 4 years? Me. Who will make sure your son graduates? Me. Who's going to walk the stage and shake your hand as he receives his degree? Me. Chad Morris will be gone for more money bc $2 million is not enough. A&M for all their talk about being progressive have quickly forgotten that an AA coach put them on the map when they were virtually irrelevant. He has given his all and that school rewards him with what--"criticism that a clean program with graduating athletes is not enough."

And Tom Herman? Well let me read you the list of coaches at UT not named Mack who have won a national championship there in 30 years. The answer? Zero. He will most likely be gone bc the odds do not favor him at that school.

So what is a recruit to believe? Or their parents? Hell even Larry Brown walked away because the only collegiate program to give him a chance didn't give him exactly what he wanted.

There is no honor among thieves. The honorable John Wooden coached 1 team; kissed 1 girl, married her; coached one college team and died a legend. Few choose his path, and yet these coaches call themselves leaders and ask these young men to sacrifice their bodies and mind for their financial gain.

I'm not idealistic. But for once can these coaches stop the lawyer talk and semantics when asked legitimate questions about their intentions? At least have the cojones to say "no comment." Tom H was meeting with UT officials the night before UH's last game. Who the hell does UT think they are to jeopardize UH's opportunities. Oh wait,ofcourse. UThad already neatly made that bed by suggesting to UH that it would support their bid into the Big 12. Silly Houston. UH nicely said thank you Coach we wish you well.

What a bunch of malarkey. In the words of Chris Rock, "I'm tired, tired, tired."
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Re: Loyalty and the Recruiting Process

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:44 am

Well said!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Otto » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:27 am

Nailed it, 90.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby PSCA » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:04 am

Exactly ... well said. The players once they sign and show up are committed (barring certain circumstances). They are preached team, loyalty and character by men, who except for a few, don't usually walk the walk. These kids committed to the coach as much as the program/school. The kid can't just walk for a better situation w/o consequences, unless he plays down DII, or he has special circumstances, but not the coach. The coach leaves the program usually scrambling, for more $$ and perceived prestige ... if he gets canned, he leaves with nice parting gift$$. It is a different situation/comparison in Corp American and changing jobs.

Maybe the coach should have to sit out a year if they leave before 75% of their contract is completed, if they stay at the same comp level. Or, give a up a scholie for a year. HaHa ... ya right. I am old fashion in many ways. One is shaking your hand, committing to a cause and then honoring it. Has it cost me ... I guess some ($$'s mostly), but I think I gained more. I am not projecting this on CM, I have no idea what all the facts are. I know college sports and coaching at the highest level is a different animal .... I guess.
PSCA
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:40 am

Smulaw90 wrote:
There is no honor among thieves. The honorable John Wooden coached 1 team; kissed 1 girl, married her; coached one college team and died a legend.

Wooden coached two college teams.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:05 am

He said how can he go to Baylor and tell recruits to come there knowing he would be gone to A&M if they ever called but I same is true at SMU right? In fact some are saying at SMU not only if A&M came calling but other P5 schools would get him next year. So the SMU 2018 class would not even see him.
As far as honor among thieves go does that mean if HCCM left that SMU should not go afte Tulsa head coach Phillip Montgomery because it would be violating the honor among thieves thing? And we have already taken Jank from Illinois State in basketball. I guess Jank should have stayed there as head coach. With that being said I think Morris stays.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sbsmith » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:20 am

Smulaw90 wrote: And if he goes to Baylor, how does he sell that recruit when everyone knows he will leave to A&M if and when, they come calling.

He'll them that he won't leave and they'll either believe it or not. A lot of them will believe it. That's pretty much what every other coach does on the recruiting trail.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 am

sbsmith wrote:
Smulaw90 wrote: And if he goes to Baylor, how does he sell that recruit when everyone knows he will leave to A&M if and when, they come calling.

He'll them that he won't leave and they'll either believe it or not. A lot of them will believe it. That's pretty much what every other coach does on the recruiting trail.

It's the same situation at SMU.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 am

sbsmith wrote:
Smulaw90 wrote:
There is no honor among thieves. The honorable John Wooden coached 1 team; kissed 1 girl, married her; coached one college team and died a legend.

Wooden coached two college teams.

He also allowed boosters to get way too close to that team, resulting later in sanctions for player payments et al.

Looking back on some golden age of sports and idolizing individuals usually results in learning that they were as flawed as anyone today, if not worse.

Complaining about the top echelon of coaches using the system as it currently exists to ensure future family stability is akin to complaining about one and done basketball players or top football plays declaring early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:32 am

Rebel10 wrote:It's the same situation at SMU.

Exactly and to recruit he's going to have to lie through his teeth about his A&M intentions. He's still going to recruit very well as long as we have him.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Smulaw90 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:56 am

sbsmith wrote:
Smulaw90 wrote:

Wooden coached two college teams.[/quote

I stand corrected. He coached 2 years at Indiana State. But the Germans did bomb Pearl Harbor, right?
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:04 am

sbsmith wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:It's the same situation at SMU.

Exactly and to recruit he's going to have to lie through his teeth about his A&M intentions. He's still going to recruit very well as long as we have him.

You are right. The original post in this thread is somewhat hypocritical.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby lollaperuna » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:08 am

Smulaw90 wrote: Hell even Larry Brown walked away because the only collegiate program to give him a chance didn't give him exactly what he wanted.

I believe SMU is the one that messed up in this situation. You don't mess with the best thing to happen at SMU in forever. Mustang Club donations have more than doubled since Larry's arrival and its all because of basketball demand.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby Mexmustang » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:48 am

LB was given a Dwayne Wade contract offer... lower salary and fewer years than he wanted. Just as at the Miami Heat, management offered a contract extension they knew would be unacceptable and they were off the hook with their fans.

The long and short, contract discussions were delayed until in the last year of his original contract which hurt us in recruiting, and losing LB will hurt us for sometime.

Chad has been unhappy for some time. Same two-step our prior coaches got frustrated over. The facilities plan was only presented when our administration made it public when they obviously were caught flat-footed when the Big 12 dog and pony show began.

The Rick Neuhiesel Radio Show told his listeners he would be leaving at season's end. He didn't mention Baylor, just broken promises. Someone fed him this information. Chad addressed one of our groups and began by saying, "I don't care what the record is, I can leave with my head held high. I told SMU what commitment they needed to make and they didn't make it even after promising they would". Both of these occurred over three months ago.

Maybe he was just setting us up, or just maybe he didn't like broken promises.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Smulaw90 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:18 am

I guess lost in the diatribe were original intended points:

1. Stop telling recruits to commit and be part
Of something big when you know you have no intention of staying long term;

2. Tell recruits that if you leave or get fired most of the assistants are likely to be gone as well;

3. Don't leave your current situation without finishing what you started and fulfilling your original commitment. Otherwise, what's the purpose of a 4-5 year deal if you are always looking for the next best thing. See, coach Patterson. He wasn't always in the Bug 12.

4. With those points in mind, how can you expect full alum and fan support when everything seems short term and there is no continuity or loyalty.

5. Up until the last 2 months, I liked coach Morris. Knowing that he was talking to Baylor and considering his future instead of focusing on stopping Navy, he let the seniors and the team down. I was at the game. He wasn't (mentally). I can appreciate his desire for more money, more recognition. But can we be honest with everyone and stop piling up lies and misdirection?

6. If he's leaving because the school didn't do its part, he needs to say so. If that's true, he can walk away with his head held high if he delivered on his part. I'm proud of the team and its direction, but he hasn't done that quite yet.
Smulaw90
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football