PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Loyalty and the Recruiting Process

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Loyalty and the Recruiting Process

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:32 am

wow, that is pretty telling that Chad said that.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:38 am

What did Chad say?
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:40 am

mustangxc wrote:What did Chad say?

Via Mexmustang:

Chad addressed one of our groups and began by saying, "I don't care what the record is, I can leave with my head held high. I told SMU what commitment they needed to make and they didn't make it even after promising they would". Both of these occurred over three months ago.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:41 am

Smulaw90 wrote:I guess lost in the diatribe were original intended points:

1. Stop telling recruits to commit and be part
Of something big when you know you have no intention of staying long term;

2. Tell recruits that if you leave or get fired most of the assistants are likely to be gone as well;

3. Don't leave your current situation without finishing what you started and fulfilling your original commitment. Otherwise, what's the purpose of a 4-5 year deal if you are always looking for the next best thing. See, coach Patterson. He wasn't always in the Bug 12.

4. With those points in mind, how can you expect full alum and fan support when everything seems short term and there is no continuity or loyalty.

1. You can't recruit that way, at least not if you want to get any good players

2. See #1

3. Commitments go both ways, a school won't hesitate to get rid of a coach before a contract is up if they think the guy isn't performing.

4. How can fans expect to keep a good coach if they won't show up unless the team is perfect and the coach promises to stay forever?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby smusportspage » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 am

ponyinNC wrote:
mustangxc wrote:What did Chad say?

Via Mexmustang:

Chad addressed one of our groups and began by saying, "I don't care what the record is, I can leave with my head held high. I told SMU what commitment they needed to make and they didn't make it even after promising they would". Both of these occurred over three months ago.

Which "one of our groups" did he say that to? It seems that everything is specific except who the audience was. :?
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:07 am

fatterson has stayed but I wouldn't paint him as a saint.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:19 am

SMU never promised to build him an IPF-that would be in his employment contract with the entity known as SMU. It ain't there. SMU alumni involved in the hiring process may have promised him to build or raise money to build an IPF.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby WildBillPony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:06 am

Stallion wrote:SMU never promised to build him an IPF-that would be in his employment contract with the entity known as SMU. It ain't there. SMU alumni involved in the hiring process may have promised him to build or raise money to build an IPF.

I witnessed Gerald Turner announcing that an IPF was coming soon. Whether spelled out in a contract or not, he needs to keep his word.
WildBillPony
Varsity

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:11 am

WBP- I suspect RGT was using the bill clinton definition of 'soon'. Kind of like in spanish- manana does not mean tomorrow. it simply means not today.
redpony

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:13 am

well Pony Up then!!!

You don't get it-SMU is not building a damn IPF for Chad Morris-SMU alumni need to get the Checkbook out and sign the checks or it ain't happening

To think SMU would build an IPF out of endowment or operating funds is naïve at best
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby gostangs » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:23 am

SMU has NEVER publically said they were going to build a facility and then not done it. NEVER. Even the natatorium, which took forever to raise since it serves so few people and nobody cares about swimming, still got done.

SMU will build our IPF. That is about the only track record we can rely on related to sports at SMU. If you think it is cheap or easy you are not so bright. It will get done thanks the generosity of our very loyal alumni.

I have less doubt about that than anything else going on right now.
gostangs

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:27 am

In other words, we'll get our IPF. We just don't know when - next year or 5-years from now?
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 am

Stallion: "... To think SMU would build an IPF out of endowment or operating funds is naïve at best."

Agree. Why doesn't SMU start a campaign to fund it where alums can give then? It seems like that should have been started years ago.

While they're at it. Why not start a new campaign strictly for scholarships to reduce the ridiculous cost of tuition?
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:32 am

In other words we'll get the athletic program our alumni are willing to pay for

Stallion

Postby Pony81 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:33 am

So how about an alternate viewpoint:
1. SMU doesn't recruit against the top 1/2 of the P5. So our recruits are not choosing between SMU and say UT. So...
2. SMU recruits are choosing between AAC and lower tier P5 / Big 12 schools . And...
3. Does anyone truly believe that coaches don't leave or get fired in this day of big money college sports? Really? Its like asking your employer to promise never to lay you off.

So, parents and their sons accept that a coach will leave or be fired so why ask them to promise to stay 4 years? Its a promise that if made is hollow as who knows. Therefore, parents/kids choose the best combination of program, coach, and education they can get. Knowing that the coach could be gone but if he does leave the Program has the resources to get another good one and that their son will have a shot a quality education.

So, these recruits look after themselves, know the drill about coaches, and pick from a pool of schools that are "like kind" from a resources / reputation standpoint.

The point about Patterson staying 4 years is an advantage. But the lure of "bigger programs" will keep them at the same recruiting level...... but they have shown they can evaluate and coach them up better than say UT.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football