PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Team Meeting Today?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Team Meeting Today?

Postby ericdickerson4life » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:56 pm

I look at as there are only so many P5 jobs in Texas. If Baylor didn't land him now and Texas doesn't want him it just means he'll be hanging around here longer. Not sure he'd go to Tech and at the current moment wouldn't be the Aggies first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:59 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:I look at as there are only so many P5 jobs in Texas. If Baylor didn't land him now and Texas doesn't want him it just means he'll be hanging around here longer. Not sure he'd go to Tech and at the current moment wouldn't be the Aggies first choice.

I agree. He could be here a bit longer than he wants. Which is fine with me.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:02 pm

Hopefully he sticks around long enough for us to join the P5 ranks. One can dream,
mustangxc

Postby smupony94 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:02 pm

smupony94

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Hahahahahahaha
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:03 pm

that tweet is savage af.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:31 pm

No doubt he has upgraded the talent on our roster. This staff's recruiting has been spot on other than a couple of misses, which happens to the best of staffs. And I agree that Morris returning will be the best for next season but two huge factors make me feel the way I do:

1) his ingame coaching. As mrydel said hopefully he will improve but we should've seen a few signs at the end of year two.

2) just know that CM wanted the Baylor job badly. For the second time in as many HC we have had our guy gladly leave us for a perceived prettier girl, then return after getting denied at the last minute. If it was up to Chad he's be in Waco right now and SMU would just be small stepping stone memory. Everyone said we wanted to find our Patterson but Morris is not that guy. Sellouts, IPF and money wouldn't change the fact that he will bolt again the first/next chance he gets.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:38 pm

We knew that from the start. I may be wrong but I believe our initial contract had an A&M out clause. Finding a Gary Patterson is not going to happen anymore in today's world in my opinion. Just get what you can, do the best you can do with what you have, and finagle a way into a P5.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:49 pm

You're probably right about not finding a Patterson but I'd feel much better with CM returning if he had shown us the ability to win a few games with his coaching. I'll never get over that Tulsa game when he had a chance to win the game and ran the ball to get to overtime where we'd be faced with same situation. He likely cost this team a bowl with that move. Do you think Herman or Tulsa's coach would've called that game the same way? And it's not like his decision making get any better after that.

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:51 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:No doubt he has upgraded the talent on our roster. This staff's recruiting has been spot on other than a couple of misses, which happens to the best of staffs. And I agree that Morris returning will be the best for next season but two huge factors make me feel the way I do:

1) his ingame coaching. As mrydel said hopefully he will improve but we should've seen a few signs at the end of year two.

2) just know that CM wanted the Baylor job badly. For the second time in as many HC we have had our guy gladly leave us for a perceived prettier girl, then return after getting denied at the last minute. If it was up to Chad he's be in Waco right now and SMU would just be small stepping stone memory. Everyone said we wanted to find our Patterson but Morris is not that guy. Sellouts, IPF and money wouldn't change the fact that he will bolt again the first/next chance he gets.

One HUGE distinction in the JJ and Chad flirting with P5 jobs...while JJ funneled SMU recruits to ASU and elsewhere and returned not really caring about continuing to improve SMU's roster, Chad goes out and immediately flips a good looking OL.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Personally I think the call was right. The player was wrong. Had it been X Jones we win. That is what he needs to learn. Adjust to what he has rather that staying with the play.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Gary Patterson has kicked the tires of about 8-10 programs in most years prior to about 2012 when it became obvious he was staying
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ericdickerson4life » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Herman lost to the powerhouse that is SMU and was never really in the game. Also lost to Navy and was getting blown out at Memphis before a second half rally. Lots of questions about every coach that only has 2 years experience.

And I'm glad he's back. Wish it was Baylor that pursued him and not him reaching out to Baylor. But if I was looking at $5 million/year I'd be seriously thinking about it as well.

ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:24 pm

Big difference in kicking the tires on jobs that approach you and having your agent aggressively push for another job. Did Patterson ever pursue one of those openings and later get turned down? I don't know, I'm asking.

LA_Mustang

Postby stc9 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:26 pm

I'm more than a little happy with this. Is Chad perfect... no. He has room to grow and he will. Did I trust SMU to find a competent replacement... No (more than no... a fairly emphatic no). SMU has a long history of hiring sub par coaches.

The bare bones in my opinion is that we desperately need this entire recruiting class. This class is the start of building a lasting program. We are growing and surviving on the first two and we will continue to do so. This class has the potential to allow SMU to stop playing catch up/immediate hole filling and laying a lasting foundation. Starting over with a new coach made me nervous that we would be starting the rebuild all over again and that's assuming SMU hired the right guy.

In a year or two, if Chad decides there are greener pastures... so be it. We will have a program that won't start from ground zero again.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football