PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Team Meeting Today?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Team Meeting Today?

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:No doubt he has upgraded the talent on our roster. This staff's recruiting has been spot on other than a couple of misses, which happens to the best of staffs. And I agree that Morris returning will be the best for next season but two huge factors make me feel the way I do:

1) his ingame coaching. As mrydel said hopefully he will improve but we should've seen a few signs at the end of year two.

2) just know that CM wanted the Baylor job badly. For the second time in as many HC we have had our guy gladly leave us for a perceived prettier girl, then return after getting denied at the last minute. If it was up to Chad he's be in Waco right now and SMU would just be small stepping stone memory. Everyone said we wanted to find our Patterson but Morris is not that guy. Sellouts, IPF and money wouldn't change the fact that he will bolt again the first/next chance he gets.

Amen ! It's apparent that he felt no loyalty towards SMU, and that he would have gutted our 2017 recruiting class
with absolutely no remorse even though they were recruited on our dime. He's lost me !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Then goodbye. Tell me who you are going to get to SMU that will not be looking ahead. Plus if I am a good agent I am always shopping my client. If my client says "If they are stupid enough to match what Herman got at Texas, I will go. Otherwise I stay right here."
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony81 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:35 pm

to keep HCCM SMU salary in perspective ..... It makes him not only the highest paid SMU employee but well up the list as one of the highest paid people in Dallas if you believe the DMN's list of highest paid executives.

So he's already hit the lottery with his SMU deal at 2.2 mil for 8 years (extended to 2022 as reported).
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:21 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:No doubt he has upgraded the talent on our roster. This staff's recruiting has been spot on other than a couple of misses, which happens to the best of staffs. And I agree that Morris returning will be the best for next season but two huge factors make me feel the way I do:

1) his ingame coaching. As mrydel said hopefully he will improve but we should've seen a few signs at the end of year two.

2) just know that CM wanted the Baylor job badly. For the second time in as many HC we have had our guy gladly leave us for a perceived prettier girl, then return after getting denied at the last minute. If it was up to Chad he's be in Waco right now and SMU would just be small stepping stone memory. Everyone said we wanted to find our Patterson but Morris is not that guy. Sellouts, IPF and money wouldn't change the fact that he will bolt again the first/next chance he gets.

Amen ! It's apparent that he felt no loyalty towards SMU, and that he would have gutted our 2017 recruiting class
with absolutely no remorse even though they were recruited on our dime. He's lost me !

How is it apparent he would have gutted our entire recruiting class? Much less that he would not have felt remorse? Lots of guessing in there.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Who is he going to give the raise to?
SMUer

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Paula for sure!
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:35 pm

glad he is staying but not happy with the lack of class on how he handled the negotiations. Of course we all know he will be gone as soon as the next 'hot' job opens up. I hope they really upped the buyout clause in his contract as we know he will be looking again real soon.
redpony

Postby smupony94 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:37 pm

redpony wrote:glad he is staying but not happy with the lack of class on how he handled the negotiations. Of course we all know he will be gone as soon as the next 'hot' job opens up. I hope they really upped the buyout clause in his contract as we know he will be looking again real soon.

Fill us in on how the negotiations went
smupony94

Postby lollaperuna » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 pm

I am thrilled that Coach Morris is staying and so glad the saga has ended.

Those that think he doesn't know how to call a game and boo every time he opts not to go for it on fourth down will be amazed how much better his play calling ability improves when he has more talent and depth.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:53 pm

smupony94 wrote:
redpony wrote:glad he is staying but not happy with the lack of class on how he handled the negotiations. Of course we all know he will be gone as soon as the next 'hot' job opens up. I hope they really upped the buyout clause in his contract as we know he will be looking again real soon.

It went this way, '94...

aww, forget it, you wouldn't understand.

What I feel rather confident of is this will play out again next year and if Hart has any smarts to him, by next Nov he better have a short list which of HC candidates fully vetted and ready to take over the reigns of SMU FB.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:57 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

It went this way, '94...

What I feel rather confident of is this will play out again next year and if Hart has any smarts to him, by next Nov he better have a short list which of HC candidates fully vetted and ready to take over the reigns of SMU FB.

What makes you think he did not have that list this November or even earlier?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ebrooks11 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:58 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

It went this way, '94...

He will have that list plus a larger buyout and possibly dirt turned on an ipf. We came out smelling like roses on this deal.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

It went this way, '94...

What makes you think he did not have that list this November or even earlier?

If he was smart he would have. I stated that a long time ago (pre this current circus).
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony81 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:27 pm

AL AD's have a short list of replacement coaches for their revenue sports. That AD 101.

We do come out smelling like a rose:
1. Keep a great coach who will be able to continue the recruiting roll
2. Show the world we are serious about being competitive
3. Show potential recruits the program has support and that if/ when Chad leaves we have the $ to go get another good coach.
4. If we do get an IPF announced that is a nice trinket to recruit to.

As long as wel have Gerry Ford ( I assume he is the big donor who will stroke big checks) willing to backstop this program we are going to be fine.
BUT
WE CAN NOT TAKE HIS ( or other big donors) SUPPORT FOR GRANTED. We all now have ample evidence that this school wants a winner and we should give liberally to the Mustang Club, buy season tickets, and go to games. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this forum but if the money guys don't see the other fans rallying behind a (hopefully) winning team then they just might say to heck with it. At that point we are sunk.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:23 pm

just a thought, for folks that work in a scenario that is donor-driven...

Our Circle of Champions is aging day by day. There is a window of opportunity to maximize their (and anyone else's ) generous gifts. These gifts have to be shown to have a legitimate, quantifiable return. SMU has many new buildings, and is not the land-locked place it was when I was there....but the window for athletic improvement is closing...quickly.
Last edited by peruna81 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football