PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Interesting Tilman Fertitta comments re: Art Briles

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Interesting Tilman Fertitta comments re: Art Briles

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 pm

Kind of sounds like he's setting the table for UH to bring Briles back...talk about a coach and university that would (again) be perfect for each other.

When asked about whether he would hire Art Briles, who was fired earlier this year amid the sexual assault scandal at Baylor, Fertitta said, "I wish that we could get more clarity on what has happened out there [at Baylor]."

"We're struggling with clarity," Fertitta said. "I can tell you this: There are a lot of Baylor supporters in this city and people that are very close to the university ... [former Baylor president] Ken Starr, the [former] athletic director [Ian McCaw], lots of senior people and senior alumni, regents at Baylor, have said 'If you will meet with us, we will talk to you about the coach and we will give you clarity of how much he didn't know.'

"Do I think that Briles got a bad rap to some degree? Obviously he did. But at the same time, you're the boss, and there was an issue there. So there's an issue. Does everybody deserve to be forgiven? Yes. There's a lot of controversy surrounding him. I think he's a great football coach, and we'll just have to see where it goes from here."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tom-herman
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Interesting Tilman Fertitta comments re: Art Briles

Postby BleedSMUPride » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:24 am

They wouldn't do that. Their President is Renu Khator who is loved there and she would never allow a coach who allowed rape to happen coach there. UH is going all out for Dana Holgerson at West Virgina. He and the AD there do not like each other, he used to coach at UH and he gets paid about less than 3 million and UH would offer 4 million or more.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:28 am

Dana Holgerson to UH would be awesome for UH and our conference as it would be a huge slap in the face of the Big XII. First Baylor fails to poach our coach and then this. It would reinforce the notion that it is Texas, Oklahoma and not much more.
mustangxc

Postby Pony81 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:11 am

Dana H. would be a home run hire for UH. Agree that it would put the AAC on more even footing with the Big 12.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:30 am

^^^^This
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:32 am

You can say what you want about the administration, Tilman completely set the table for Briles. Reading that interview, my immediate thought was "he's looking for an angle and room to get Briles back."
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:08 pm

Puckhead48E wrote: "he's looking for an angle and room to get Briles back."

4sure....thought the exact same thing
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:11 pm

a booster may think its ok - but a university administrator (i.e. President) that is more concerned with non football issues is not going to let it happen
gostangs

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:26 pm

I agree that his comments seem to leave the door open too much, but I like this comment which seems to poke at the NCAA or any other oversight body, "I wish that we could get more clarity on what has happened out there [at Baylor]." That's the big question. Why were only the top guys fired? Usually the intermediaries are the handlers and shield stuff from the top brass. Did Monty know much from his time at Baylor? It sure seems like Bennett did based upon his comments to boosters.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:39 pm

UH can hire Jr. and he can move the whole stink'n gang to H-Town. Dad can go as a "consultant".
Bergermeister

Postby peruna81 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:02 pm

UH is where we very easily could be...looking for the next coach. Legitimate question that Fertitta asked: Why can't folks get a straight answer from Baylor? Well, because Baylor and Briles don't want to give one, for starters.

If SMU were looking for a coach, think we would entertain the idea of getting Briles? Bobby Collins? Ron Meyer?
How damaged is too damaged?
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:08 pm

If Fertitta wants Briles then he will be the coach. Tilman is the mover and shaker at cougar high. He wields more power there than Ford does here, and that is a lot.
redpony

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:16 pm

That's just wrong Red. Their board of regents would have to sign off and they wouldn't do it. Trust me, there are lots of strong personalities in all these boards - that's how they got there.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:21 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if those Baylor Trustees and former employees back off of any employment advice to UH. They are buying an unnecessary defamation case by Briles or a negligence action by UH if they accept the duty to provide a reference but do not fully disclose the facts. I'd advise them not to speak with UH. They will probably be getting a call from their attorney today.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:32 pm

gostangs wrote:That's just wrong Red. Their board of regents would have to sign off and they wouldn't do it. Trust me, there are lots of strong personalities in all these boards - that's how they got there.

Not to argue but Timan is the Chairman of the board of regents and pretty well runs things his way.
If you know him you will know that is true.
redpony

Next

Return to Football