PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston aiming high

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Houston aiming high

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:31 am

Houston's short list reportedly includes Les Miles, Lane Kiffin, and Dana Holgorsen. Obviously Holgorsen is a huge stretch, but I believe he is in the bottom half of the Big 12 in pay, so maybe that is their angle with him.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Houston aiming high

Postby 03Mustang » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:44 am

If Holgerson goes to UH and we continue our upward trajectory how much lower is the AAC than the Big 12 overall?

I know they are always superior as long as TX and OU are there (and OSU is good this year as well) but top-to-bottom the AAC is looking like at least an equal, if not better, football conference.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:49 am

Holgorsen to Houston is realistic because of the sour relationship he has with the West Virginia AD. I really hope it happens as that would make the conferences practically equals aside from Texas and OU. I would even argue that West Virginia would probably be better off bolting for the American thanks to the Eastern rivals in Cinci, UCONN and Temple along with the Florida recruiting thanks to USF and UCF.

If Aresco could pull that off and talk BYU into joining as a football only member how awesome would that be?

East
West Virginia
Temple
UCONN
Cincinnati
East Carolina
USF
UCF

West
SMU
Houston
Memphis
Tulsa
Tulane
Navy*
BYU*

*football only
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:55 am

That would be interesting in a lot of ways. Of course, West Virginia would have to pass up a lot of money. On the flip side, which conference is really more stable. The Big XII is a house of cards with UT.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:59 am

that would be about as smart as Tulane dropping out of the SEC
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Hmmm.... give up $25 million a year but at least we get to play ECU and UCF. What a great deal!
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:03 pm

I get the money side of it which makes it a non-starter but in terms of rivals, recruiting and overall competitiveness it is not as stupid as it would have appeared just a few years ago.

My hope is that the money gap will narrow considerably in a few years with our conference moving up and others moving down.
Last edited by mustangxc on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mustangxc

Postby peruna81 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:04 pm

WV, and any other P 5, is not going to pass up the money. It has been stated before, and worth mentioning again: the NCAA/P 5/CFP is ALL about the money, not the sport.

Holgorsen going to UH would be a great "get", but I kind of think it unlikely, from a prestige and positional standpoint within the profession. I would think that Miles would be a name, Kiffin a risk, Briles a train wreck. Houston is in a difficult position...glad it is them not us right now.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:08 pm

What kind of team is Houston bringing back next year? I always felt like Tom Herman benefited from the groundwork laid by Tony Levine. . . despite the fact that things didn't work out for Levine. Will the next UH coach inherit a really strong team?
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Yes. Herman was caught in between this year with some good seniors and depth that was talented but not ready to play yet.

I expect them to be very good next year.
JasonB

Postby BleedSMUPride » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:54 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:What kind of team is Houston bringing back next year? I always felt like Tom Herman benefited from the groundwork laid by Tony Levine. . . despite the fact that things didn't work out for Levine. Will the next UH coach inherit a really strong team?

UH will be just fine. Almost all of their recruits are staying in this class and when you have the top DL in the nation in Ed Oliver, that doesn't hurt and he already tweeted out that he isn't bailing on his city. They also have Kyle Allen eligible next year to take over QB.
Last edited by BleedSMUPride on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:09 pm

I've heard rumors Kyle Allen may graduate transfer to UT(although I'm not sure you can do that with a 2nd transfer)

I'm not so sure they will keep their commit list either-they've lost 2 in a few days-UT is poaching some of their kids too like that Bryson Smith kid from Tyler--depends on who they get as Coach. I'd expect UH to lose 5+ recruits-maybe more if they don't get new Coach by December 12th visit period. Nevertheless they've had 2 straight great classes so they should remain strong
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby leopold » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

There's no reason for Houston to sell themselves short looking for a coach. They've shown themselves to be as close to a destination job as there can be in the G5.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NTXCoog » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:26 pm

Stallion wrote:I've heard rumors Kyle Allen may graduate transfer to UT(although I'm not sure you can do that with a 2nd transfer)

I'm not so sure they will keep their commit list either-they've lost 2 in a few days-UT is poaching some of their kids too like that Bryson Smith kid from Tyler--depends on who they get as Coach. I'd expect UH to lose 5+ recruits-maybe more if they don't get new Coach by December 12th visit period. Nevertheless they've had 2 straight great classes so they should remain strong

Bryson tweet from yesterday: "Aye H-Town don't worry, we solid #GoCoogs"
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby BleedSMUPride » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Stallion wrote:I've heard rumors Kyle Allen may graduate transfer to UT(although I'm not sure you can do that with a 2nd transfer)

And Kyle Allen would be dumb to transfer to UT. He left A&M because of a QB battle where he couldn't get guaranteed starting time, so it makes no sense for him to go to UT where he enters into a QB battle with 2 current platoon QB's and a 4-star coming in. At UH the starting job is his and he has a solid WR corps still.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football