PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston aiming high

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Houston aiming high

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:11 pm

mustangxc wrote:
My hope is that the money gap will narrow considerably in a few years with our conference moving up and others moving down.

If the others get less money then so will our conference.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Our conference tv deal is great in terms of exposure but we are severely underpaid. The deals the P5 have signed are unsustainable. I think in the future the money will be less for most conferences, but our conference has proven its worth and should be rewarded for it with an increase in pay.
mustangxc

Postby ponyinNC » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:29 pm

I would love to see the mad hatter in Houston. Wow. Love me some Les Miles.

Kiffin would pull another Herman and bolt for a bigger job in 2 years...heck, Tennessee wasn't high-profile enough for him.

Holgerson would be interesting, but I just don't see it.

I still think someone like Lincoln Riley would be a great fit for UH and would stay 3-5 years to get the HC experience.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:42 pm

mustangxc wrote:Our conference tv deal is great in terms of exposure but we are severely underpaid. The deals the P5 have signed are unsustainable. I think in the future the money will be less for most conferences, but our conference has proven its worth and should be rewarded for it with an increase in pay.

Our conference has proven its worth as a G5 conference, unfortunately that's not worth much because we have no brands. We may be underpaid but it's not by much. If a big network belt-tightening is coming it'll hit all the conferences not just most.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:08 pm

Yep. And if the rumors are true ESPN is losing a ton of views. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million subscribers over the past two years. That's got to hurt the amount of money they can bid on TV rights. But then again, I'll believe it when I see it. And if the big conference are getting a pay cut you can damn well believe we will be asked to take one.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Pony^ » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:16 pm

Houston starting to lose commitments

Missouri: CB Terry Petry

Terry Petry, a 3-star corner from Missouri City, Texas, flipped his commitment from Houston to the Tigers on Wednesday. His decision came less than a week after Tom Herman left the Cougars to become the head coach at Texas. Petry was one of the players recruited by Herman as part of his #HTownTakeover. Drawing him away from Texas because no other top in-state program offered him might make this a steal for the Tigers.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-recruiting-who-is-the-most-unlikely-current-commit-for-each-sec-team
Pony^
All-American

Postby ebrooks11 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Mike Leach??
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:30 pm

mustangxc wrote:Our conference tv deal is great in terms of exposure but we are severely underpaid. The deals the P5 have signed are unsustainable. I think in the future the money will be less for most conferences, but our conference has proven its worth and should be rewarded for it with an increase in pay.

Exactly.

I sure hope in the next round if we are still in The American ESPN will realize our value and give us a decent bump in revenue. Our conference certainly deserves it for the amount of great football and baskenball programming we provide them.

We are clearly the cream of the G5 crop and borderline Power Six.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:39 pm

I think if you are able to convince like BYU, AF, Boise and SDSU to come over, you could argue that we are truly the only G5 that deserves to be incorporated into P6. Maybe if they convince espn and NCAA and get an agreement in place, you could convince the 4 teams to join and get a lot more money.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:09 am

sbsmith wrote:

Our conference has proven its worth as a G5 conference, unfortunately that's not worth much because we have no brands. We may be underpaid but it's not by much. If a big network belt-tightening is coming it'll hit all the conferences not just most.

Big 12 earns some $24M per year while AAC earns $2M. Let's say revenues drop by a third.

TCU loses $8M annually while SMU loses $670k. I can live with that.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Big Frog II » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
sbsmith wrote:

Big 12 earns some $24M per year while AAC earns $2M. Let's say revenues drop by a third.

TCU loses $8M annually while SMU loses $670k. I can live with that.

TCU would still be making $16M while SMU would be making $1.3M on TV revenue per year. I guess we could live with that.
Big Frog II
Scout Team

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:22 am

yeah, I have never gotten the "if we both get hammered I am happy" line of thinking.

It is possible that the TVB networks come to the conclusion that they are over paying for majors and underpaying for the Alt -1 (that is the new name for AAC) - but that scenario does not seem likely.

I think everyone gets a negative surprise frankly - college football does not deliver enough eyeballs for the money they receive.
gostangs

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm

gostangs wrote:yeah, I have never gotten the "if we both get hammered I am happy" line of thinking.

It is possible that the TVB networks come to the conclusion that they are over paying for majors and underpaying for the Alt -1 (that is the new name for AAC) - but that scenario does not seem likely.

I think everyone gets a negative surprise frankly - college football does not deliver enough eyeballs for the money they receive.

It's called critical thinking.

As long as we are non-P5 and competing against P5 schools, which I argue we are, we are better served by seeing a downturn in revenues than an upturn. Or would you be happier with a doubling of revenues, with TCU, Tech and Baylor all earning $48M per year while we earn $4M.
SoCal_Pony

Postby FIVE-O-FAN » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Apparently Briles is next up on the interview list. I have to say I'm surprised.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... -interview
FIVE-O-FAN
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Briles Out per Footballscoop
1:06 PM Last edited 1:06 PM by joelcoog

Houston: Sources tell FootballScoop Art Briles is not expected to get an interview with Houston despite the report below from ESPN. Joseph Duarte who covers UH for the Houston Chronicle is now reporting it is unlikely as well. Update> Houston has issued a statement saying that although Art Briles has indicated his interest in the job, he is not on their interview list.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Previous

Return to Football