PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Navy -- the Rodney Dangerfield of College Football

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Navy -- the Rodney Dangerfield of College Football

Postby Pony^ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:14 am

But I guess around here we’re used to that — not getting much respect.

Coach Ken Niumatalolo

Navy is the best college football story going — and bowl officials are rooting against it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/12/02/navy-is-the-best-college-football-story-going-and-a-nuisance-to-bowl-officials/?utm_term=.935c68281277

"I don't want to be un-American," one bowl official said, "but nearly everyone in the bowl industry, quite frankly, is rooting against Navy."

That official technically isn't rooting against Navy, just what happens if Navy wins. That's because if Navy wins the American and is in contention for the Group of 5 bid in a New Year's Six bowl, the College Football Playoff selection committee could delay announcing the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion team until Dec. 10 when Navy plays Army, six days after its final rankings are revealed.

The domino effect on other bowls could "paralyze" the system, a source said.

Delaying the Group of 5's bid to the Cotton Bowl would affect many bowl games involving Group of 5 teams. Officials would have to delay placing teams in bowls without knowing whether a conference champion could get pulled up to the Cotton Bowl. Additionally, opponents in those bowl games wouldn't know whom they were playing in addition to the obvious logistic and financial issues involved with waiting another seven days before planning travel, buying tickets and other factors.

http://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/18171618/navy-midshipmen-win-aac-title-game-paralyze-bowl-system
Pony^
All-American

Re: Navy -- the Rodney Dangerfield of College Football

Postby mtrout » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:53 am

Well then their system sucks. They couldn't have forseen this possibility? How many worthless bodies are involved in the CFP?
I lost any faith I had in that system when during week 1 or 2 of the rankings, the CFP chairman was like "This year we actually watch the games!".
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:19 am

How can they STILL not have their act together on this? It is totally their fault for devising a system that has negative outcomes that are 100% predictable.

Really dumb.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby docabel » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:24 am

I am SO rooting for Navy this weekend, not only bc I like their program more than temple, but would just LOVE to see such a big monkey wrench thrown into the plans of the "powers that be" of college football...
docabel
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:24 am

Well it is kind of dumb for the Army-Navy game to always be so late, but it sure seems like the committee could know the final bowl results with either a Navy win or loss.

They don't ever seem to have a problem with baskenball when one of the conference championships runs up against the selection show.

Obviously it is a huge inconvenience for some teams to have to wait a week to make travel plans and start opponent preparation, but this issue should be limited to just a few teams.

And yes, of course I am rooting for Navy both for The American and to screw with the rigged bowl system.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby TidePony » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 am

Go Navy!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:23 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Well it is kind of dumb for the Army-Navy game to always be so late, but it sure seems like the committee could know the final bowl results with either a Navy win or loss.

Actually, while in this limited case because I like Navy and it helps our conference, my view is that Navy should probably be disqualified if they knowingly schedule games after the conference championship. You can't go just on Navy's ranking on December 4 because that prejudices other teams that have played their full 13 game schedule. You can't assume a win, so you have to treat them as if they lost that game.

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:They don't ever seem to have a problem with baskenball when one of the conference championships runs up against the selection show.

Completely different scenarios for several reasons, one of which is that here, Navy's game is a full week AFTER the selection show and only 72 hours before the first bowl game. The reasons why the committee can work on a couple hours notice in basketball are most of the field is already set, with only the last few decisions impacted by the last few conference tourneys, most of whose participants are usually in as at large even if they lose, or just will bump off one marginal at large team. There is no trickle down effect.

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Obviously it is a huge inconvenience for some teams to have to wait a week to make travel plans and start opponent preparation, but this issue should be limited to just a few teams.

Depends on what you meant by "just a few teams." There are 13 slots for American and MAC teams, all of which are impacted by the holding pattern. There are 2 additional contingent slots for the MAC if conferences don't have enough bowl eligible teams. At least all of these, plus the Cotton Bowl of course, are in flux. And because lesser bowls pick the teams based on matchup, arguably some, if not all of the opponents are up in the air too.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:36 am

actually it is unfair to the fans of many universities who have to make expensive last minute travel plans to attend bowl games. Its Army and Navy which are playing the game outside the usual time period
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 am

For TV and attendance purposes: Do you think the Cotton Bowl wants Navy or Western Michigan?

Seriously, the people running the Cotton Bowl would beg Navy to come if they win the AAC title even with the Army-Navy game (free advertising) pending.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:47 am

Temple already lost to Army this year which suggests they will not do well against Navy's option. Committee needs to hope Western Michigan wins the MAC Championship and just give them the New Year's game. Is it fair to even consider a 2 loss Navy team vs an undefeated Western Michigan team?
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:51 am

Navy all the way as they are our best shot at getting a New Year's 6 representative. I think that an 11-2 Navy would have a good chance at bumping the Western Michigan Broncos whose best wins are over Northwestern, Toledo and Eastern Michigan.
mustangxc

Postby Digetydog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:59 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Temple already lost to Army this year which suggests they will not do well against Navy's option. Committee needs to hope Western Michigan wins the MAC Championship and just give them the New Year's game. Is it fair to even consider a 2 loss Navy team vs an undefeated Western Michigan team?

There is nothing fair in college football.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Go Navy!

Personally, I love the Army-Navy game where it is, as the last regular season game of the year. This rivalry is the best demonstration of what college football should be. I get tired of the massive egos, self serving conferences and minimizing the traditions of the game. This is the one game of the year that reminds me of the what college FB could be, if I could be in charge.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Absolutely
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:45 pm

These are servicemen who happen to play football, and who very well could be risking their lives after the stupid bowl process in active duty/combat in order to protect your right to [deleted] and complain about it.

Suck it up, and allow for the most historical of college football rivalries to be played out. If it results in a delay to your precious travel plans, so be it.

This is what college football is SUPPOSED to be about - tradition, rivalries, history. Not money.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football