PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Matt Rhule to Waco

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Matt Rhule to Waco

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 pm

mrydel wrote:I think he is a very good coach and wish him well.

I agree.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:24 pm

He needs to buy a map of Texas. And hire a couple assistants who coached hs in the state.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:31 pm

If he can somehow get the "Texas connection" he will do good I think. But it will be a real struggle for a while.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:54 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:Horrible move by him. He could do much better

Agree.......really like him ! Rape U. really lucked out. Matt must not have done his due diligence. This may be a career killer for him.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

He was passed over by Maryland, Rutgers, Missouri, and Syracuse among others so I don't know which teams you are talking about in which he could do better. I guess he figured since he was passed over so much that he would give Baylor a try.

Once again Rebel shows everyone that he is totally clueless !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:32 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

He was passed over by Maryland, Rutgers, Missouri, and Syracuse among others so I don't know which teams you are talking about in which he could do better. I guess he figured since he was passed over so much that he would give Baylor a try.

Once again Rebel shows everyone that he is totally clueless !

He did try for those jobs.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sbsmith » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:57 pm

How he builds his staff will be interesting. Will he just bring his Temple guys with him or will he put together a staff that can recruit in the Big 12?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 pm

sbsmith wrote:How he builds his staff will be interesting. Will he just bring his Temple guys with him or will he put together a staff that can recruit in the Big 12?

He needs to bring that D.C. with him for sure.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smupony94 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:15 pm

Temple isn't far from Waco

My best Mrydelism
smupony94

Postby peruna81 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 pm

smupony94 wrote:Temple isn't far from Waco

My best Mrydelism

I bow to your sage reply....nicely done....Mark would approve.

BTW, you still need to PM me your home address.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:50 pm

deucetz wrote:
Stallion wrote:What type of salary was he getting at Temple-not listed in database I looked at because Temple is a private school. If I had to guess I would think Temple didn't have the type of alumni supplement to be competitive. He's a great Coach but I'm generally not in favor of hiring coaches outside their recruiting footprint.

Temple is Public

He was making $1,041,739

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

deucetz source may be right, but this site says he was making $2,500,000 as the 56th highest paid coach

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CFBCoachesSalaries.htm
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JHG » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:57 am

A lot to reply to, so I'm not going to quote everything. Thanks for your kind words. It's been a pretty devastating 24 hours.

-This came out of nowhere for all of us. We had no idea he was even interviewing anywhere.

-No one expected him to stay here forever, but I think most of us thought he'd be here for at least a few more years. We figured there weren't too many places that made sense with his background considering most of his experience was at Temple. Everyone knows he wanted Penn State, but short of that, ND, or the NFL, no one saw him leaving for anywhere else.

-When you get quotes like this from your HC it's hard not to feel like you were duped: "This is really, really hard. People start coming to your door and say hey, ‘I got four million dollars.’ But you know what, I’d rather coach Temple’s kids. I love these kids. I’d rather coach here and coach Temple’s kids then just sell my soul for four million dollars. That is the truth and that’s as honest and open as I can be with you guys."

-We tore his contract up twice, the first time in good faith before he really started winning. His new contract was around $2.5M a year. We simply don't have the booster support to afford a $4M+ a year coach. Unfortunately, our biggest athletics booster died in a plane crash a few years ago, and no one else has stepped up.

-We are a state school with around 40,000 students. I know being named after a baptist Temple (which is funny in retrospect looking at Baylor) is weird for a state school, but we are.

-I don't think our alumni support had to do with anything. I don't think not being able to pay him more was the issue. I think he realized/saw that our peak because of the P5 cartel is a crappy bowl game unless we basically run the table like Western Michigan. This isn't the case at Baylor.

-We are not hiring Al Golden. Appreciate what he did to save our program, but Temple now is in a very different place than it was when he took over and when he left.

-Rhule turned down Phil Knight and Oregon because he felt that they had unreasonable expectations to win immediately, which meant little job security. Baylor basically told him to clean up the mess and he'd be good for several years. Leaving a lifetime $2M+ a year job at Temple for no job security at Oregon was a nonstarter.

-Rhule turned down an offer from Mack Rhoades at Mizzou

-Coach Rhule and his family didn't live on the Main Line (where I grew up). They lived in the Graduate Hospital area of Center City, less than a mile south of where I live. My brother lived right near him when he was at Penn.

I think that's about it. Various candidates that I like regardless of their likelihood include:

Todd Bowles- Temple Football alum and Jets' HC
Kirk Ciarrocca- Temple alum and WMU OC (would really love to get him as our OC)
Joe Moorhead- Penn State OC
Matt Canada- Pitt OC
Mike Yurcich- oSu OC with D2 experience in PA both coaching and playing
Neal Brown- Troy HC
Scott Satterfield- App State HC
Jason Candle- Toledo HC
KC Keeler- SHSU HC and PA native
Geoff Collins- Florida DC
Don Brown- Michigan DC
Lincoln Riley- OU OC
Charlie Strong
Les Miles

Go Owls.
JHG
Junior Varsity

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:14 am

Best of luck. Thanks for the post.
smusic 00

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 am

Les Miles could work at Temple.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony^ » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Hmmm. . . . Philly.com . . . .Hire Charlie Strong.

Jensen: Baylor got it right with Matt Rhule. Now Temple should hire Charlie Strong

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/temple/20161207_Jensen__Baylor_did_its_homework_on_Matt_Rhule.html
Pony^
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football