PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coaching Staff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coaching Staff

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:17 pm

I have always stood 100% behind Chad Morris and will continue. I am not going to talk bad about any of his Coaches. I feel like when he came to SMU he put together a Staff that was solid, young, full of energy, and that he felt could help recruit to turn things around. After 2 years he may need an couple additions. With all the Coaching changes around I would see this as a Golden moment. Go get Jeff Traylor!!
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Re: Coaching Staff

Postby jimhagle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 am

I agree that this staff needs some upgrades. Especially the special teams coaching.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:15 am

jimhagle wrote: I agree that this staff needs some upgrades.

Especially offense, defense and special teams.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:10 pm

We need to hire Daric Riley full time or whatever it is, does anyone know his exact status? I think he's an 'advisor' or something because of some kind of limitation we had. Hope that lifts as I think he's a pretty good ST coach (I don't think he's been allowed to coach in game or something like that).

Also, I'd like to see us elevate Claude Mathis in some way. Not sure how, but I really like him and would like to see him stay at SMU for a very long time and be possibly our next HC after Chad (a stretch, I know, but just sayin').
ojaipony

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:26 pm

what you do is make him the RB Coach the Assistant Head Coach in Charge of Running Game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:29 pm

I agree with the need for a new special teams coach, but the others are young and were brought in with the premise that they would grow. We need to give them that opportunity.
JasonB

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:54 pm

I posted this hoping to get a lot of Post & thoughts as to some Coaches that might be out of work due to all the changes. Lots of views but not many opinions. Jeff Traylor could help SMU and is a great recruiter! For SMU to return to a solid Program, I believe they must be able to get the 3stars East of Dallas. The players that are a notch below Texas or A & M. Texas or A & M cannot load up with a lot of 3s. SMU has to get these guys! Hopefully a couple 4stars and not many 2s. We ALL know there is a problem with Special Teams. Also halftime adjustments are suspect. I know Chad is a great Offensive mind Coach but maybe spread to thin trying to oversee it all. This is bottom line. Chads goal is to move to a Major College Program like Texas A & M. Be honest, he would need to carry some of the Staff with him. Not sure this is a strong enough group all the way around.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby StangUp » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:01 am

ojaipony wrote:We need to hire Daric Riley full time or whatever it is, does anyone know his exact status? I think he's an 'advisor' or something because of some kind of limitation we had. Hope that lifts as I think he's a pretty good ST coach (I don't think he's been allowed to coach in game or something like that).

Also, I'd like to see us elevate Claude Mathis in some way. Not sure how, but I really like him and would like to see him stay at SMU for a very long time and be possibly our next HC after Chad (a stretch, I know, but just sayin').

Designating a full-time ST coach: Might happen.

Elevating Claude: Won't happen.
StangUp

Postby MadJack » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Promoting Riley means cutting someone else since they can only have 9 coaches on staff. Who ya gonna cut?
MadJack
Scout Team

Postby Pony81 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Keith Gunn would get cut.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:03 pm

Assistants don't get any press so it is really hard to know who is available out there. With all the hc shuffling comes even more assistants. It'd be great to see a list but that would take a ton of research.
smusic 00

Postby Donnell88 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:13 pm

StangUp wrote:
ojaipony wrote:We need to hire Daric Riley full time or whatever it is, does anyone know his exact status? I think he's an 'advisor' or something because of some kind of limitation we had. Hope that lifts as I think he's a pretty good ST coach (I don't think he's been allowed to coach in game or something like that).

I understand the frustration with our specials teams but it's not all on the coaching staff. You
can tell players until you are blue in the face to stay in their lanes and not to let the returner beat you to the outside - but some players just don't absorb what they are taught.

Also, it takes a certain kick-butt attitude to play special teams; that's why players like Zach Line were so effective on the kicking team.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby StangUp » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Donnell88 wrote:
StangUp wrote:

I understand the frustration with our specials teams but it's not all on the coaching staff. You
can tell players until you are blue in the face to stay in their lanes and not to let the returner beat you to the outside - but some players just don't absorb what they are taught.

Also, it takes a certain kick-butt attitude to play special teams; that's why players like Zach Line were so effective on the kicking team.

Someone mentioned in a previous thread, that they thought ST practice was possibly limited, in order to avoid potential injuries? Maybe, but with us building more and more roster depth, this should change.
StangUp

Postby Digetydog » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:37 pm

StangUp wrote:

Someone mentioned in a previous thread, that they thought ST practice was possibly limited, in order to avoid potential injuries? Maybe, but with us building more and more roster depth, this should change.[/quote]

If you look at our defensive roster, most of the Fresh/Soph scholarship guys on defense either: (1) RS'd, (2) played significant minutes, or (3) got injured along the way. As those guys move into more significant roles on defense, their should be young scholarship players who can't RS or get significant PT in the "field" positions yet. Those guys should be the heart of the special teams as the roster develops.

Looking at who we were starting on ST last year, I saw too many walk ons and older scholarship guys who couldn't break into the 2 deep. Furthermore, when we have a legit 2-3 deep at LB and Safety, it won't be insane to place starters/key backups at risk on ST.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:50 pm

This part falls on Chad. He knows who is avaible. Dabo Sweeny realized he needed an OC upgrade and brought in Chad. When Clemson gave up 70plus in the Orange Bowl he changed DC. Ugly but part of the HC job. I just hope Chad looks around and takes advantage of some opportunities. He put this Staff together 2 years ago in about a short time frame. After 2 years everyone needs to be evaluated. Adjustments are lacking at Halftime and we all know ST are worst in the Country.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Return to Football