PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Charlie Strong Close to Becoming Coach at USF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Charlie Strong Close to Becoming Coach at USF

Postby Pony^ » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Pony^
All-American

Re: Charlie Strong Close to Becoming Coach at USF

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:35 am

would be a great hire and a really nice addition to the AAC as far as I am concerned. Keep making this conference tougher and tougher to earn national respect.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sbsmith » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:13 am

Nice gig for Strong to rebuild his stock and eventually get back to the P5. USF has the talent and the schedule to run the table in 2017.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:29 am

Wow this would be big - and a much better hire than Houston.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby BleedSMUPride » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:39 am

He will do much better being back in Florida and in an area he knows really well. USF would stay a strong team if he was there.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby deucetz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:18 am

BleedSMUPride wrote:He will do much better being back in Florida and in an area he knows really well. USF would stay a strong team if he was there.

He should have taken the Miami gig when he had the chance. Texas will do well next year because he redshirted a lot of talent. He should have seen the writing on the wall and bounced when he had the chance. Texas didn't have talent when he came. No UT player was drafted in 2014, they only had a first and third rounder in 2015, and a fourth round pick in 2016. It's bull how people continue to talk about Mack's top 10 recruiting, but don't mention the bare cupboard he was given. This would be a great hire for USF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... _NFL_draft

I was hoping that he would take a year off and then we could hopefully get him next year if Morris leaves. I see Strong staying at his next place 4+ years.
deucetz
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:33 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Wow this would be big - and a much better hire than Houston.

I agree. Fantastic hire and will keep their upwards trajectory.
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Should be a good test of the theory that it is preferable to hire a Head Coach within his traditional recruiting footprint. Despite 2 great recruiting classes-arguably beat out A&M in last 2 years at the finish line-Strong was not particularly embraced by the TXHSFB Coaches. I think Strong will be better in Florida at the AAC level. It will also be interesting to see if UT's firing of Strong after only 3 years will have any residual fallout at Texas especially among the African American community. It took decades for UT to get away from a poor reputation in metropolitan areas-Mack pretty much was successful
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony^ » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Stallion wrote:Should be a good test of the theory that it is preferable to hire a Head Coach within his traditional recruiting footprint. Despite 2 great recruiting classes-arguably beat out A&M in last 2 years at the finish line-Strong was not particularly embraced by the TXHSFB Coaches. I think Strong will be better in Florida at the AAC level. It will also be interesting to see if UT's firing of Strong after only 3 years will have any residual fallout at Texas especially among the African American community. It took decades for UT to get away from a poor reputation in metropolitan areas-Mack pretty much was successful

Agree that Strong will do better at South Florida. Strong, however, had the worst win/loss percentage of any UT coach, ever. Mack Brown was fired for winning only 8 games, Strong never won 8 games in a season. If Strong didn't lose to Kansas in year 3, things may have turned out differently for Charlie; that loss on top of everything else did him in. Strong initially resisted the spread offense, so prevalent in the Big 12. When he finally came around, the offense improved; but, the defense floundered. At Texas, you get paid the big bucks to win. A lot of UT people were pulling for Charlie; however, in the end he did not win enough games. Further, there wasn't enough faith within the UT community that he could right the ship in year four.
Pony^
All-American

Postby PonyPride » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:47 am

Oregon also reportedly wants Strong as its defensive coordinator.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:01 am

apparently left Tampa without signing deal
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JHG » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:53 pm

PonyPride wrote:Oregon also reportedly wants Strong as its defensive coordinator.

We also want him as our HC.
JHG
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 pm

JHG wrote:
PonyPride wrote:Oregon also reportedly wants Strong as its defensive coordinator.

Wishing you guys luck with your search. Got to be a dagger to the heart.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Between USF and Temple, I just hope Strong becomes a part of the AAC as I think it will be good for the conference in the long run
Charleston Pony

Postby JHG » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:44 pm

mrydel wrote:
JHG wrote:

Wishing you guys luck with your search. Got to be a dagger to the heart.

Thanks. It's been really tough, and it feels like our fanbase is becoming a bit divided. A lot of people spewing doomsday stuff about no one wanting the job because our AD is playing it very close to the vest. We don't even know who has/is interviewing, or really who our top targets are. A lot of Temple people are very parochial and pretty much insistent on us hiring someone from the Temple family (which is more NFL than college right now). I just want the best coach. I don't care where he's from.
JHG
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football