PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Major Applewhite named new UH Head Coach

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Major Applewhite named new UH Head Coach

Postby BleedSMUPride » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 am

He is finally getting his shot to be the HC. He has good Texas connections and should be able to keep players from transferring out and recruits from leaving since they are all familiar with him.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Re: Major Applewhite named new UH Head Coach

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:28 am

Hahaha I guess it really isn't as big of a destination job as they thought!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BleedSMUPride » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 am

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think they just took a different approach then any G5 ever has by having them put in such a huge buyout clause. obviously its not a Kiffin or Miles hiring, but Applewhite is still a big name, especially in Texas. And he knows the area really well, the players there know him, so I wouldn't call this a slap in the face to them. Still a big name hire and should do well there.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby RednBlue11 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:39 am

CAN I GET AN APPLEBOWDEN!?!?!?!?
"There ain't nothing you can't solve with one more beer"
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 am

they can definitely claim Applewhite was a MAJOR hire

not too popular on UH boards coming in at about 10% positive
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 am

Houston has had enough success where the program can do more for a coach than a coach can do for the program. They have been especially successful the last few years so the in-house hire makes sense. Unless they were going for Les Miles why not give your own OC a chance instead of an outside OC (Kiffin)? Both are gambles so at least you make it a good place to go develop your career as they reward loyalty. I think he can be their Gary Patterson.
mustangxc

Postby gostangs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:15 am

and I am sure saving about 1.5 M a year had nothing to do with it either. Ha
gostangs

Postby RednBlue11 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:18 am

amazed he can find time away from filming AppleBowden Billions

RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:22 am

If you told me Kiffin and Applewhite both commanded the same salary I would still think it is fairly even. I have defended Kiffin for his tenure at USC as I don't think he deserves an F. What I didn't say is that I would give him an incomplete, so taking on Kiffin is just as much of a gamble as promoting Applewhite. I think the Houston program is built up enough where whoever takes over should be able to sustain the success and hopefully he sticks around a while. I think the best bet for SMU is for SMU and Houston to become consistent top 25 programs to build our rivalry and fanbase. If we succeed maybe we get the P5 call one day.
mustangxc

Postby RednBlue11 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 am

mustangxc wrote:If you told me Kiffin and Applewhite both commanded the same salary I would still think it is fairly even. I have defended Kiffin for his tenure at USC as I don't think he deserves an F. What I didn't say is that I would give him an incomplete, so taking on Kiffin is just as much of a gamble as promoting Applewhite. I think the Houston program is built up enough where whoever takes over should be able to sustain the success and hopefully he sticks around a while. I think the best bet for SMU is for SMU and Houston to become consistent top 25 programs to build our rivalry and fanbase. If we succeed maybe we get the P5 call one day.

we gotta win some games man!

TCU and now UH have passed us up so damn fast it's crazy.
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:33 am

No doubt! That is why I am happy Chad Morris stayed. We are still trying to build our program. Four bowl games followed by four losing seasons is not sustained success. On the bright side, it can happen fairly quickly as we saw with Baylor under Briles.
mustangxc

Postby ojaipony » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:36 am

RednBlue11 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:If you told me Kiffin and Applewhite both commanded the same salary I would still think it is fairly even. I have defended Kiffin for his tenure at USC as I don't think he deserves an F. What I didn't say is that I would give him an incomplete, so taking on Kiffin is just as much of a gamble as promoting Applewhite. I think the Houston program is built up enough where whoever takes over should be able to sustain the success and hopefully he sticks around a while. I think the best bet for SMU is for SMU and Houston to become consistent top 25 programs to build our rivalry and fanbase. If we succeed maybe we get the P5 call one day.

we gotta win some games man!

TCU and now UH have passed us up so damn fast it's crazy.

Agreed!

I hope to see a TX power base (SMU and UH) and a FL power base (USF/UCF) emerging in The American (need more P5 wins out of that group). But we, SMU, have to get past teams like Tulsa (ie start routinely beating them) and then there's Memphis which I hope we can start back beating again soon (school is annoying and wish it would just go away - does nothing for anyone in this conference - no market, terrible academics, only basketball success traditionally and even that isn't all too terribly great, and that's it).
ojaipony

Postby deucetz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:49 am

mustangxc wrote:No doubt! That is why I am happy Chad Morris stayed. We are still trying to build our program. Four bowl games followed by four losing seasons is not sustained success. On the bright side, it can happen fairly quickly as we saw with Baylor under Briles.

Chad showed his hand. He isn't staying if he gets the opportunity to leave for a better program. Our next coach will be more crucial.
deucetz
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:52 am

deucetz wrote:
mustangxc wrote:No doubt! That is why I am happy Chad Morris stayed. We are still trying to build our program. Four bowl games followed by four losing seasons is not sustained success. On the bright side, it can happen fairly quickly as we saw with Baylor under Briles.

Chad showed his hand. He isn't staying if he gets the opportunity to leave for a better program. Our next coach will be more crucial.

smupony94

Postby RednBlue11 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 am

smupony94 wrote:
deucetz wrote:

who is that serial killer?
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football