PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cutting the cord

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cutting the cord

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Interesting article from the Washington Post about the woes of ESPN and cable TV.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... ae983aa0b3
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Re: Cutting the cord

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Yep. We're only scratching the surface too. The days of the mega huge TV deals for college athletics are soon to join the ranks of Blockbuster. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. are already doing their due diligence on live TV sporting events. It's only a matter of time. Brave new world where finally the consumer has control.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Free or ala carte
One Trick Pony

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:10 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Free or ala carte

Probably a combination of both.
StallionsModelT

Postby mtrout » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:32 pm

So when we go p5 in 202x we will still make 1mil/yr
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:50 am

StallionsModelT wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:Free or ala carte

Probably a combination of both.

It was a statement
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:41 am

Well cable cutters are still in their infancy. I got directv now and it has big holes (no dvr, can't watch NFL on local channels, video on demand is weak). PlayStation vue is the most established but it has some minor setbacks. I think by 2018 they will be starting to dig holes for the cable/satellite packages to bury. I think by 202x or maybe 203x is individual channels or individual shows/conference or even teams. Time will tell but doesn't look good for sports $$.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:20 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Well cable cutters are still in their infancy. I got directv now and it has big holes (no dvr, can't watch NFL on local channels, video on demand is weak). PlayStation vue is the most established but it has some minor setbacks. I think by 2018 they will be starting to dig holes for the cable/satellite packages to bury. I think by 202x or maybe 203x is individual channels or individual shows/conference or even teams. Time will tell but doesn't look good for sports $$.

You'd be amazed how much you can find on a digital antenna! Not to mention pure uncompressed HD is amazing.

I believe the future of television is true ala carte and the combination over air broadcast. Living 8 miles away from the highest point to the coast is beneficial for reception too..

Last edited by One Trick Pony on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby Peruna94&07 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:05 am

The problem with everyone cutting the cord will the questionable quality of content we have today will actually get worse. Think about how super popular shows subsidize the cost for new shows. If everything is alacarte then we will end up with even more cheap reality tv....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GO Ponies!!!!
Peruna94&07
Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:42 am

Peruna94&07 wrote:The problem with everyone cutting the cord will the questionable quality of content we have today will actually get worse. Think about how super popular shows subsidize the cost for new shows. If everything is alacarte then we will end up with even more cheap reality tv....

Cheap to air. Cheap to produce. Cheap for the consumer. It isn't like the quality of on-air production is super awesome now. Bring it on. The current cable/satellite model is broken and outdated. In 10 years it'll be as relevant as the VCR.
StallionsModelT

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:45 am

Peruna94&07 wrote:The problem with everyone cutting the cord will the questionable quality of content we have today will actually get worse. Think about how super popular shows subsidize the cost for new shows. If everything is alacarte then we will end up with even more cheap reality tv....

I think just the opposite will happen.
People will continue to pay for the premium stations. However the other 400 channels they shove down your throat in those packages that no one wants to watch will eventually dissipate

PBS is an awesome station.

Change or die
One Trick Pony

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:08 am

as long as I can watch Jim and Tammy Baker I'll be happy
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smupony94 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:54 am

Stallion wrote:as long as I can watch Jim and Tammy Baker I'll be happy

Jim is selling food in a bucket now

New scam
smupony94

Postby Peruna94&07 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 am

One Trick Pony wrote:

I think just the opposite will happen.
People will continue to pay for the premium stations. However the other 400 channels they shove down your throat in those packages that no one wants to watch will eventually dissipate

PBS is an awesome station.

Change or die

Challenge with that is some shows that have production costs will never be made. Think of the Battlestar Galatica series in the 2000's, and probably a lot of other sci-fi

I do agree there a lot of stationing that should just go out and die but they help pay for the programming you do like.

Things will change, some of it good but being involved in the production business and cable business for a couple of years I saw some of the challenges with pay per the drink. Think about it for a show to get a $1M an episode they would need that many people to pay within a couple of weeks which defeats the watch on demand model. If you don't have that money how do you produce the next one

GO Ponies!!!!
Peruna94&07
Varsity

Postby indianmustang » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:03 am

i cut cord 2 years ago and dont really miss anything ,got a antenna from amazon and it get me all local channels i need.
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Next

Return to Football