PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2017 QB??

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2017 QB??

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:54 pm

I want a QB that can run the dang offense. We've gone out a recruited a stable of great WRs-several more will be available next year-I want a QB that can get the ball to them. That's why I'd just as soon see Davis move on-he never has understood this or any other offense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jimhagle » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:02 pm

I am having a hard time getting my head around us having 4 legit QBs next year-if we keep them all.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:25 pm

QB offers from our new transfer guys:

Gillins - Ole Miss, Auburn, Wisconsin

Peavy -
Arkansas
Arizona
Auburn
Boston College
Connecticut
Georgia Tech
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisville
Missouri
Nebraska
North Carolina
Ole Miss
Tulsa
UCLA
USC
USF
Wake Forest
West Virginia

not too shabby
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:06 pm

smupony94 wrote:@SMU_Football 1m1 minute ago
We've got our first official #StangGang17 signee! Welcome QB DJ Gillins to the #PonyUpTempo family!

Welcome indeed. I wasn't sure this was actually going to happen. Great competition coming at QB.
Charleston Pony

Postby Oldmins » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Brewer is sure looking good in the game tonight against the Woodlands. Lake Travis is annihilating them, and Brewer is the main cause.
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby SMU89 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:40 am

Congrats Lake Travis and C Brewer
SMU89

Postby 78pony » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:44 am

Brewer's the complete package. There may not be such thing as a can't miss, but I throw all my chips on the table for this one.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Oldmins » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:20 pm

78pony wrote:Brewer's the complete package. There may not be such thing as a can't miss, but I throw all my chips on the table for this one.

I agree. But why is it that he has only had offers from SMU, North Texas and Hawaii? What is it we don't know?
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:25 pm

Oldmins wrote:
78pony wrote:Brewer's the complete package. There may not be such thing as a can't miss, but I throw all my chips on the table for this one.

I agree. But why is it that he has only had offers from SMU, North Texas and Hawaii? What is it we don't know?

Wonder if June gave some videotape of him to Hawaii?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:32 pm

Oldmins wrote:

1) He isn't prototype size. Arm strength is average. He runs an offense where it is based on presnap reads, no progressions. Has good mobility, but isn't a game breaker from that aspect.

3) The trend now is to get guys who are super athletic and you can teach them the offense. Think Boykins and Ward. The thought amongst coaches right now is that, hey, if I am going to have to teach a guy to go through progressions, why not go for the super athletic game-breaker with a super strong arm? The pendulum will always swing back and forth on this one, but right now they are recruiting potential over a plus rated accuracy.

2) There are a LOT of really good QBs coming out of Texas this year. Both QBs in that Desoto game were awesome. The Tech recruit was in that game. That is why a player of the caliber of Brewer doesn't have a ton of higher level offers. Plus, don't discount the fact that we were in him early... other colleges bailed because of that. He will have some P5s come after him hard now that the hiring season is done and people will get antsy to close out their first class, or lose their QB recruit at the last minute.
JasonB

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:35 pm

Before we get carried away with Brewer, remember Garret Gilbert. He had the same perceived upside as Brewer and maybe more. But look what happened to him at UT. We should not rush Brewer like Mack did with Gilbert.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Exactly. Gilbert was prototype - 6'4, mobile, great arm. All the tools.

Gilbert never could make the adjustment to reading a defense. Even when he was here, we had to cut the field in half through a pre-snap read in order for him to be successful.

Expecting Brewer to have a limited capacity to develop because of the Gilbert case would be unfair. But expecting him to be ready to go as a true frosh like Mayfield would be unfair to Brewer as well.

If he ends up coming in and winning the job, that would be awesome! But there is a very small likelihood of that happening. People shouldn't be disappointed with him as a talent if he is relegated to 4th string coming out of the spring. I WANT Peavey and Gillens to be THAT good.
JasonB

Postby 78pony » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:11 pm

I agree Jason B and I didn't mean to imply that he was gonna be the Man from day 1. I just think he's got a lot of football smarts and moxie and is so very competitive. And it would be fantastic by me if Peavey and Gillens are THAT good.
78pony
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Someone that claims to know Brewer, said that he is more like 6-foot and 180 pounds. Can anyone verify? Watching the game last night, he looks like he needs a couple of years in a good weight program.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:06 pm

JasonB wrote:Exactly. Gilbert was prototype - 6'4, mobile, great arm. All the tools.

Gilbert never could make the adjustment to reading a defense. Even when he was here, we had to cut the field in half through a pre-snap read in order for him to be successful.

Expecting Brewer to have a limited capacity to develop because of the Gilbert case would be unfair. But expecting him to be ready to go as a true frosh like Mayfield would be unfair to Brewer as well.

If he ends up coming in and winning the job, that would be awesome! But there is a very small likelihood of that happening. People shouldn't be disappointed with him as a talent if he is relegated to 4th string coming out of the spring. I WANT Peavey and Gillens to be THAT good.

No one has over the top expectations for Brewer but you seem to be writing him off with the comments you have made about him. And since you have not seen him play here you don't know what the likelihood of anything. The young man should be given a fair chance and not automatically redshirted like you are suggesting. I think the coaches will give him a fair chance before they make a redshirt decision.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football