PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Curious...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Curious...

Postby Maryland78 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am

Curious why after seven years or so of an IPF being at the top of the SMU football administration's wish list that one of our major benefactors hasn't stepped up! Believe me, I'm not one to have expectations about spending other people's money...and my Mustang Club donations pale in comparison to our top donors wealth and contributions. But it does seem a little bit odd that someone with the means hasn't made contributing to an IPF a financial priority. With Jones and Morris making such a big deal about how important an IPF is, the SMU big money families actually seem to be "avoiding" the project...when you think about all the other recent major academic AND athletic projects that have been completed or started in the last few years. I have no problem with SMU waiting until money is committed for these big and expensive projects...just seems curious that someone hasn't stepped up to the plate yet? Anybody have insight into the cost and why an IPF hasn't been a priority for SMU's major financial contributors? Go Ponies!
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Re: Curious...

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:10 am

Donor Fatigue

SMU has a dysfunctionally funded athletic program with meager revenue coming from its football program because of low conference TV/Bowl payouts and many SMU alumni, family and friends do not feel an obligation to attend games until SMU wins 9-10 wins per year. The same short list of families are being asked to fund Football/Basketball salaries, athletic facilities, and the university capital campaigns

From about 1956-2000 SMU barely addressed ANY infrastructure improvements-in the last 16 years SMU under Turner has basically built an entirely new athletic facility infrastructure-which will be substantially complete with the completion of the IPF
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:52 am

Maybe time to go to sanders,beachum ,cole Beasley
All 3 had decent contracts
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Soccer and track...

Postby Maryland78 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:39 pm

I wonder if the new track and soccer stadium are now all tied in with the IPF...making it even more difficult to raise the funds?
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:00 pm

$20M lead donors don't grow on trees, even at SMU. There are likely numerous donors lined up in the $1M range, but finding new sources of huge amounts of capital takes a long time and a lot of good timing. Also, in the most recent scenario, many big donors were wondering why they should fund Morris' biggest priority when Morris himself hadn't made coaching at SMU a priority. His extension was designed in part to calm some of those donors' fears.

We all know the IPC won't win games by itself. It's just a symbol of commitment at a high level. That's a hard sell to someone who may have 10-20 million dollars to give. You want to give where it will have the greatest impact.
smusic 00

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:01 pm

Maryland78 wrote:I wonder if the new track and soccer stadium are now all tied in with the IPF...making it even more difficult to raise the funds?

The new track is in the indoor facility. And yes, the $50M includes everything.
smusic 00

Postby mtrout » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:30 pm

All the IPF talk is clearly lip service. I have heard it's funded and starting every 6 months since 2011.

Houston began construction on theirs last month. #constructionEqualsCommitment

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statu ... 9280866304
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:56 pm

mtrout wrote:All the IPF talk is clearly lip service. I have heard it's funded and starting every 6 months since 2011.

Houston began construction on theirs last month. #constructionEqualsCommitment

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/statu ... 9280866304

It is absolutely not lip service. We just overpromise based on optimistic projections.

Seriously, though, a huge donor had to delay the sale of his company, and had to delay his donation. Whenever that sale actually happens, it is a done deal.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Yes my snow cone business hit a snag in Oak Cliff
One Trick Pony

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:16 pm

Oil prices
CalallenStang

Postby mtrout » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:11 pm

JasonB wrote:Seriously, though, a huge donor had to delay the sale of his company, and had to delay his donation. Whenever that sale actually happens, it is a done deal.

"I can't IPF tonight. I'm washing my hair."
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:32 pm

At some given point you have to say no.
The community has laid burden upon the family of 4.

And just to rub salt in the wound I'm going StubHub mofos lol.
One Trick Pony

Postby ready4abowl » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:12 am

Are you going to buy something, or are you just browsing?
Restore the 80s Glory!
ready4abowl
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:49 am

Well I was thinking those floor seats at 75 bucks a pop looked pretty good for next year. Considering the donation alone is $10,000
One Trick Pony

Return to Football