PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former Wake Forest FB Assistant leaks game info to opponents

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Former Wake Forest FB Assistant leaks game info to opponents

Postby lwjr » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:44 pm

GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Former Wake Forest FB Assistant leaks game info to oppon

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:42 pm

The most fascinating part of this story to me is that other teams needed help to beat Wake Forest.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Is it too late to schedule them? If only we knew who leaked our plans to Memphis and Navy!
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby No Quarter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:50 pm

It comes to mind that in the early 60'[s Wally Butts was dismissed by the UGA after twenty odd years as Coach and AD. Concurrently or almost so there was an article by an AJC flak in the Saturday Evening Post to the effect that Butts had given Bear Bryant inside information about Bulldog signals and so on.

Probably Alabama would have won even without the benefit of any underhanded help.

The then HC at Georgia who had been a Butts assistant, Johnny Griffith, also left or was fired with a 0.400 won / lost record over three years. Law suits followed and some say the settlements in favor of Bryant and Butts, etc., were one reason the magazine failed a few years later.

Some years after that a book by a Law Professor at Tennessee argued that the courts decisions were wrong.

You can GOOGLE "Wally Butts" and read more in the WIKI and other articles.

My memory is that Georgia went to the HS ranks and hired the respected HC at Murphy High in Atlanta to straighten things out. His name was Joel Eaves and he perhaps had a reputation in GA then similar to that of Chad Morris in Texas recently and had taken Murphy to the large school championship game against Valdosta a few years previously where they lost decisively (As did most opponents during the Wright Bazemore era at Valdosta). Eaves was the responsible for hiring Vince Dooley.

I don't know that Johnny Griffith ever had a HC job anywhere on any level again. He was, strangely, an assistant at GT later. Murphy High closed a few years later with shifting population patterns after integration. It had been a sort of working class Atlanta icon, maybe like Forest Avenue in Dallas before the name and mascot and color were retired with integration there. The AJC sportswriter survived and may be in a journalists HOF. I've already mentioned, and we all know, that the SEP is no more.

Joel Eaves and Butts are GA sports members and of course Bryant and Dooley have their own places.

I'm glad also that no SMU player or coach has been accused like Butts was. Gosh knows we've had enough problems with supporters and politicians aided by the AD department and at least one coach who helped with grades.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 pm

yeah that case turned out to be a pretty important case in the area of defamation of a public figure. Traditionally, you can't prove defamation of a public figure unless the Defendant knew at the time of the defamation that the statement was untrue-a tough standard to prove. But the case arising out of the Butts case (?) which I think was a Supreme Court case has some key wording that arguably allowed a plaintiff to prove actual malice by reckless disregard for the truth when the Defendant has sufficient knowledge to put him on notice that further investigation would likely establish that the defamatory statements were likely untrue. I remember that case because I cited it in a Court of Appeals case-it was unclear at the time whether the Supreme Court still considered that line of precedent binding

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federa ... /case.html

"We consider and would hold that a "public figure" who is not a public official may also recover damages for a defamatory falsehood whose substance makes substantial danger to reputation apparent, on a showing of highly unreasonable conduct constituting an extreme departure from the standards of investigation and reporting ordinarily adhered to by responsible publishers."
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:43 pm

The really odd part is that none of the other coaches bothered to let Wake know what was going on. If I'm the Wake coach, how do I shake anyone's hand next year?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Is there a Coaches Code of Conduct?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Bill Belichick has one but I heard he stole it from someone.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:56 pm

EastStang wrote:The really odd part is that none of the other coaches bothered to let Wake know what was going on. If I'm the Wake coach, how do I shake anyone's hand next year?

Would you shake Petrino's hand?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:59 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
EastStang wrote:The really odd part is that none of the other coaches bothered to let Wake know what was going on. If I'm the Wake coach, how do I shake anyone's hand next year?

Would you shake Petrino's hand?

Its a hand that's probably been in some interesting places.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby smupony94 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:07 pm

@slmandel 7m7 minutes ago
In a much more contrite statement, Louisville AD Tom Jurich says Lonnie Galloway is suspended for Citrus Bowl for role in #Wakeyleaks.
smupony94

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:14 pm

I hear the big news will be with Army and how it handles the situation due to its code of honor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Return to Football